Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

Out of memory crash

Been getting this annoying crash lately, which is easily reproducible with the Whole Lotta Altis mission - it happens about 5 minutes after starting the mission.

Thought it was just a beta build issue at first so I reverted to the stable build, disabled all mods, dropped texture detail. Game is running perfectly smoothly at the time this happens so I don't see it coming.

In the error it seems to be requesting a negative amount of memory, and even if not, that seems like a large chuck of RAM for a single request?

OutOfMemory.jpg

PC Specs:

AMD Phenom 2 tri-core at 3Ghz

HD 6850 2Gb

4Gb RAM

Win7 64-bit

Not sure where to find the ArmA 3 RPT/log files, will pull them up if that's any use.

Will try some other missions to see if it happens elsewhere. Don't see other people reporting it in the SoAk missions thread so I'm thinking it's not a problem with the mission itself.

Edit: holy crap just noticed, in 2 weeks I will have been a member of this forum for a decade :eek:

Edit 2: Found this http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Custom_Memory_Allocator

Tested -malloc=system. No difference, still crashed within minutes.

Edited by Maddmatt

I've seen this happening when windows paging file is disabled or set too low size.

If you have it disabled, re-enable and have a windows manage the size.

I already have it set to be managed automatically by Windows. It's currently at 4093MB.

With 4Gb of RAM, that seems to be plenty.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Still happening.

Was playing a small mission from the Steam workshop, crashed 1 minute into the mission before seeing any action.

Is 4Gb not enough for this game or what? No sign of performance issues before the crash happens and I could play on Altis fine before Christmas.

Well, if u updating the WLA Map when SaOk updates his Mission it´s possible when a lot of new scripts needs to be started that your memory runs out. Maybe u have installed a few mods after christmas which causes a memory failure (just read that u tried with disabling all mods)

Did u have maybe other Ram Modules (Family,friends) which u can stick into your mainboard?

And here a possible solution:

Hotfix: Virtual memory limit increased for 32 bit OS (more details below)

Editor pop-up errors fixed

First Farsi radio protocol voice added (known issue: CSAT player in sandbox speaks English)

Fixed: BIS_fnc_codePerformance local variables can no longer be overwritten

Fixed: Tasks were not updated for players waiting for respawn

Enabled ejection from drowning helicopters

Orca updated with better cargo animations, pilot and copilot animations and new getin/outs for cargo

Added new voices for Radio Protocol

New version of movie-style credits. This version is accessible via ORBAT credits already

Hints for targeting have been improved

Adjusted music at start of Showcase Vehicles

Added different identities to Showcase characters (for Farsi)

Fixed: Intro section was selected in the Editor instead of Mission by default

Fixed: Laser dot not occluded by objects when in first person view

Renamed buttons in Pause Menu: Suspend -> Save & Exit and Revert -> Load

Changed behavior of PhysX tank without driver

Custom game types displayed as Unknown

Static weapons are now deployable in formation in editor

Vehicle icon load fix in editor create unit display

Fixed: Radar for cargo position

Altis versus 32 bit OS

The default virtual memory limit has been increased to 1.2GB to make sure the game has enough memory to run Altis with proper performance. This limit can be changed with the -maxmem shortcut parameter, but note that virtual memory takes only 3/4 of this number.

Example (sets virtual memory limit to 1.2GB):

Code:

arma3.exe -maxmem=1600

Since processes on a 32bit OS are limited to 2GB of memory, the game might become unstable because of the increased limit. Try decreasing the limit if Altis is running fine but the game is crashing (possibly with an "Out of memory" error). We welcome your feedback to find the ideal sweet spot of this default value (for those running e.g. Vista or Win 7 32 bit - especially with 2GB RAM only).

Could perhaps test with more RAM, but it seems it's not just SaOk's mission. I am on 64 bit Win 7 though. 64 bit OS with 4Gb of RAM shouldn't have this problem when the game is supposed to be playable on 32 bit OS with 2Gb.

I'll try messing with maxmem anyway and see what happens.

Edited by Maddmatt

Tried maxmem=1024, based on the notes that should match the old values before it was changed in a patch?

It made the game unplayable. FPS was about 5 and objects were not loading properly, still showing the distant LOD models when up close.

Even if just one unit on the map (via the editor).

The game did not run so poorly like this before the patch changes so something isn't right here.

Removed the maxmem line and the game is smooth again.

Yeah, this lines are all for the anus, i just use the nologs & nosplash lines, the other lines will cause freezes during the game and this sort of stuff. who writes in maxmem=xxxx or maxvram=xxxx and thinks it rise performance, well such people still think that Santa Clause is real...

maxmen is only upto 2047. But any of the Max settings is really to Limit the amount to test with. As Maddmatt found out.

@ Maddmatt, are you running overlays?

@ Maddmatt, are you running overlays?

Nope. Turned off all that Steam crap recently, actually.

Managed to play through a simpler missing, "Hard to Peel", last night with no crashes. So it looks like heavy scripting is related.