Sign in to follow this  
oktyabr

VBS3 snow... in ARMA 3?!?!?

The thermal model is probably the only tech that was shared, besides base engine improvements and a few models. The companies aren't really that close, Oktyabr.

Then they NEED to be.

Well fuck me, another of these threads again. Just why is it that when VBS is discussed, people who've never had it feel that they can take complete leave of their senses and act like VBS is Arma on steroids, that B.I. and B.I.S. are the same company, etc., despite people who are familiar with VBS due to dealing with it in the military or have bought it are telling them otherwise. Also, what wasn't crystal clear about the "VBS discussions are off limits, there's a thread dedicated for it"?

And seriously Oktyabr, they "NEED" to be? I'm so very sorry if this was lost on you in your fantasy world, but companies, especially not those that are in different markets, merge because a customer think they should, in order to cater for what he wants the product from one to become. Get real.

You really shouldn't watch VBS2 videos, not only are they very different but its also very depressing to make the comparisons. Yes it would be nice to see Arma3 do some of what VBS2 does..perfect example, both run phsyX, Arma 3 has a more recent version yet VBS 2 does more with it from structures to sling load and towing. And lets not get started on the rivers, water reflections and the water flowing effects they recently added... Or how VBS2 has a less complex but overall more effective authentic FLIR.

Then they NEED to be.

They don't need to be. VBS is a product line designed for the military. The military pays for things such as snow, as you can see snYpir stated they designed the snow for the Swedes. Which I'm sure they paid for.

To add something like this to ArmA 3 would use so many resources that would be better used elsewhere. Unless of course you want fund this?

It would be cool, but the default maps are set in a warmer climate. I doubt BI will implement something like this based on a whim. No doubt there are (will be) several maps in colder climates, but is it enough to justify this feature? Maybe... but I doubt it would ever happen.

Then they NEED to be.

You have far too many wants in life. Do something about it or move on. By do something, I don't me cry in this topic.

No one took your ball and said the game was over. All you super desktop generals are the ones blowing this into a VBS/ARMA thread. I specifically stated in my very first post: "Could we please have similar snow FX for ARMA3? This would vastly improve the game for players, map makers and mission creators. And probably wouldn't hurt sales either."

The fact that it's in VBS is proof that in *concept* it's possible with this engine. It's also completely irrelevant to the actual topic... the lack of snow in ARMA. Go throw polyhedral dice at each other or something ... sneak back to reddit or skype or where ever, where you experts can plan what the players really want in the game they've paid for (and will pay for again). And last but not least, remember, *only* a dreamer can have a dream come true. ;)

So what if you used the word similar? You still asked for it to be in ArmA, whether you use the word similar or not. Your title states "VBS3 snow... in ARMA 3?!?!?".

I don't see how adding a feature, such as snow, will vastly improve the game. Is it going to make it more optimized? The only thing it will add to the game is a new setting, which isn't needed.

We've known that it has been possible in the ArmA engine for a long time. Anything is possible in Real Virtuality, people have made snow mods dating back to the original Operation Flashpoint. You just have to have the time, money, and resources to make anything happen. Which, for a company like BI, is quite limited.

Edited by Nicholas

I think this is really cool, I would love to see it in Arma3. Thanks for the thread, as I was not aware of that video or this RV engine ability.

The naysayers really crack me up. Why do we need some community member to tell us whether we should be asking for a nice feature from BIS that we saw in their sister companie's (highly compatible) simulator? They have not one clue of BI intentions...and especially their resources... The only people who know if it will ever be in Arma3 are the developers...so what's the harm in letting them know how we feel? And if you can't see the potential of a environment feature like this..maybe you shouldn't post.

Edited by -=seany=-

yep, gotta love people who think that just because they don't need or want it, nobody else should have it either or be allowed to ask for it.

Exactly! I love BI! I've purchased every title over the years (usually two or more copies, since I've raised children that were gamers too) and always felt like I saw the potential but never saw it completely fulfilled... so I kept waiting for the next version. And the next.

snYpir said (in the other thread): "We hope that our VBS clients see these videos and buy more licenses of VBS! If you want to see certain features in Arma, then make a noise and let BIS know."

I started THIS thread, and the feedback tracker, to do exactly that. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16735

Edited by Oktyabr

It's not that I don't want snow in ArmA, did I say that I don't want snow? I never said you couldn't ask for features. It's that there are more important things to focus on rather than something like this.

And, there have been a dozen threads that are the same base as this one: "I see that VBS has this, it should be in ArmA!!1!11!"

I wonder how difficult it would be to mod it in?

You can do the falling snow. Been done since OFP times.

It's not that I don't want snow in ArmA, did I say that I don't want snow? I never said you couldn't ask for features. It's that there are more important things to focus on rather than something like this.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I remember tons of arguments that went like that when I was mod on the original Day Z forums... everyone hated on one idea because they some how thought it endangered their own wishes and dreams. That isn't the case. Rather than raining on this thread, post your own. I'll even come support it!

And, there have been a dozen threads that are the same base as this one: "I see that VBS has this, it should be in ArmA!!1!11!"

That's not MY problem. I searched the forums (and the feedback tracker) pretty thoroughly before posting. If procedural snow in Arma had been brought up before I missed it. As for the "dozen" other threads? Can you blame them? Believe me... if the current COD had procedural snow and VBS hadn't, I'd be posting it that way instead. Maybe. That would be much easier to dismiss though, wouldn't it ;)

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

You can do the falling snow. Been done since OFP times.

Not "falling snow". That's relatively easy and common. It's just a particle system. Snow that *accumulates*, in a realistic manner, that impedes vehicles and even slows foot travel... that hasn't been done before. Further having such a system would allow a map maker to make a map *once*, and players would have to download one map, rather than separate winter and non-winter versions. Ever wonder why there aren't more snow maps in the ARMA universe? Because it's a pain to remake a map in a winter version.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

There is one post, in the other thread, where a member posted a WIP proof of concept. It didn't look as good and didn't include detail about how it was done, how it works, etc. Certainly some have the same thought though. I just haven't seen any progress on it.

Edited by Oktyabr

Links already provided by ADUILO and myself .........

is_this_snow_low.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I remember tons of arguments that went like that when I was mod on the original Day Z forums... everyone hated on one idea because they some how thought it endangered their own wishes and dreams. That isn't the case. Rather than raining on this thread, post your own. I'll even come support it!

That's not MY problem. I searched the forums (and the feedback tracker) pretty thoroughly before posting. If procedural snow in Arma had been brought up before I missed it. As for the "dozen" other threads? Can you blame them? Believe me... if the current COD had procedural snow and VBS hadn't, I'd be posting it that way instead. Maybe. That would be much easier to dismiss though, wouldn't it ;)

I'm not hating on the idea of snow, am I? I think most of the time I was asking a question and not stating any facts. Am I not allowed to have my own opinion? I gave you my opinion, I think snow would be awesome, but I believe that in ArmA 3's current state, snow is a waste of time. I watched that video a few days before you posted it, and I thought it was, excuse my language, fucking awesome. But I didn't come here to beg for it.

If you're so obsessed with the features in VBS, why not purchase that instead? They do have a Personal Edition, you know.

Not "falling snow". That's relatively easy and common. It's just a particle system. Snow that *accumulates*, in a realistic manner, that impedes vehicles and even slows foot travel... that hasn't been done before. Further having such a system would allow a map maker to make a map *once*, and players would have to download one map, rather than separate winter and non-winter versions. Ever wonder why there aren't more snow maps in the ARMA universe? Because it's a pain to remake a map in a winter version.

There is one post, in the other thread, where a member posted a WIP proof of concept. It didn't look as good and didn't include detail about how it was done, how it works, etc. Certainly some have the same thought though. I just haven't seen any progress on it.

Why don't you ask NouberNou about it and make the mod? I'm sure many people would like to help. And it is much better to actually do things than just be the idea guy, because we have enough idea guys. If NouberNou says it's possible, then it likely is. The guy knows his code.

And if you were up to date, you would know the VBS3 snow also freezes over rivers and lakes as well.

Edited by ProGamer

And if you were up to date, you would know the VBS3 snow also freezes over rivers and lakes as well.

Yup. I read snYpir's comments on it too (and yours).

Great effect...

Would be truly fantastic have it on Arma3.

But I'm doubtfull bis will do this...

In any case I prefer they would spend their time in improving the smothness of the game and remove the stutter than work this (beautiful) feature.

Would be great to see. This however:

Further having such a system would allow a map maker to make a map *once*, and players would have to download one map, rather than separate winter and non-winter versions.

Seems a bit more difficult to achieve. At least if final effect should be convincing enough (to me), it is also about deciduous foliage, that should drop/recover their leaves (changing colors too) - quite fundamental change, I think, typical weather conditions/particle FX during given season, animals presence, enviromental sounds... Would be very immersive, if all this done, otherwise - would rather make strange, unreal impression.

Or how VBS2 has a less complex but overall more effective authentic FLIR.

Wat :raisebrow: