Sign in to follow this  
Harry_Flashman

Arma 3 FPS optimization thread?

Does such a thread exist? I'm keenly aware of the "will my PC run Arma 3 thread" - but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a list of in-game video settings listed in order of which have the most-to-least impact on FPS. I've found random threads on the web, but wasn't sure if an up-to-date one exists on this forum? Think it would be immensely helpful. If it exists - please point me in the right direction (and perhaps sticky it - as it's a question on many people's minds) - I've found a handful of older threads with a small number of replies, but nothing "thorough" and up-to-date as of yet.

For example, I learned today that reducing settings for cloud quality, HDR and terrain have a pretty noticeable on FPS, unlike several others. Of course viewing distance is the big one, along with objects detail. I'm getting somewhere around 25-50 FPS in multiplayer running a 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Titan GPU on Windows 7 64 bit (servers w/ 15-40 players, and lots of vehicles/choppers). Granted most of my settings are on ultra, but viewing distance and object detail are set to around 3K and 1.5K respectively. But I would have thought there'd be some conventional and well-documented wisdom out there around what I need to tweak to improve FPS, so would appreciated a quick poke in the right direction. Thanks!

Just play with the settings yourself and find out. Takes like 5 minutes. You need a thread for that?

Everyone will have different results anyway due to different hardware. Some people might not see any change with AA settings, while others will see massive FPS shifts.

It also depends on situation/scene/AI in use/etc.

View distance and object distance are not going to make a difference in multiplayer. Those settings are overridden by the server. If you're looking to increase multiplayer performance, those are some of the settings that aren't going to help.

There isn't a lot of documentation on increasing performance in Arma because the isn't a whole lot of config editing or anything that can increase performance. Pretty much every setting is exposed in the option menu. Besides which, many of the performance issues are CPU related, so turning down graphics options doesn't help a lot. Certainly not enough to bring you up to a playable frame rate with your GPU, which is more than capable of handling the graphics processing side of Arma.

Everything I've find on the web have never change my fps rate so just set my quality to standard or low, that's jsut what I've find and the performance are linked to the mission you're playing, place a chopper in the editor (only a chopper or anything else) and you will see the difference ...

@Harry - Have a little looksy Here

the content of that link boosted my preformance pretty well, i was on a full 60 slot wasteland server with a server fps of 4 and never saw below 28-30 fps. it works. (i didnt download any of the software)

I've follow the same tutorial and that didn't change anything for me ?

@Harry - Have a little looksy Here

Excellent - thanks very much. Not sure why this sort of the thread isn't posted/stickied on this forum - would be very useful to a great number of people.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

View distance and object distance are not going to make a difference in multiplayer. Those settings are overridden by the server. If you're looking to increase multiplayer performance, those are some of the settings that aren't going to help.

There isn't a lot of documentation on increasing performance in Arma because the isn't a whole lot of config editing or anything that can increase performance. Pretty much every setting is exposed in the option menu. Besides which, many of the performance issues are CPU related, so turning down graphics options doesn't help a lot. Certainly not enough to bring you up to a playable frame rate with your GPU, which is more than capable of handling the graphics processing side of Arma.

True, the game is a CPU hog. On the view/objects distance side - when I stand at any location on a MP map and play around with those two settings it shows massive changes to my in-game displayed FPS; either the config menu displayed FPS is incorrect, or they do have an impact on my actual FPS. I'm not a tech expert - just reporting what the game shows me is happening.

Closing - please use the thread Nicholas suggested - Thanks