Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

See, I told you the modding community will be active

Back in the Summer of 2013, all the naysayers were saying that ArmA 3 was "Dead"..... it was "Impotent" .... short of "Stuff" (vehicles).

I said, "Nope, vanilla is 'vanilla' and the community will run with it." Boy, I'll tell ya..... my modem has been on fire as of late. The Modding Community has been busy as bees posting some wonderful stuff and making the ArmA series second to none.....AGAIN! It's a shame that all those COD / BF4 players don't get it.....but maybe that is good for us....who knows. Some of the new DayZ players are starting to get it because they are drawn into the community and see the special game-play that ArmA offers to the community.

I'm not going to name all of the special mod's / scripts out there.....but they have taken ArmA 3 to the next level and I thank those dedicated people who have given their time to improve on this game. This game will just keep on improving on two fronts: 1) BIS is going to keep on polishing the game; 2) The Modding Community is going to keep on bringing us special stuff.

The Armaverse is the greatest...... and I thank you all.

HighPlainzDrfter

It's still short of "stuff". Only 1 episode of the campaign has been released, still no jets for BLUFOR and OPFOR, recycled assets from Arma 2 yet again, they've implemented a totally broken body armour system. A product should stand on its own. It's not the community's job to fix it and I don't appreciate having to browse through all the possible mods for the few good ones that don't break the balance or cause scripting conflicts to eke out a bit more game time from Arma.

What a sycophant.

I agree with Trent. We should expect more. I think Bohemia shouldn´t have use ressources and assets to revise the ARMA 3 Story because of the Limnos incident. They should have continued with the course and used the assets and ressources for content and polishing.

What's the point of your thread? Looks like an other "Thank you BIS" thread.

Players who follows the series for over a decade now, knows that the game will be polished over the time.

Edited by Papanowel

He predicted that Arma 3 will have mods. Congratulations. Nobody saw that coming.

snTQ78Y.gif

But looking at the game itself, it's a shame that great many issues from when Alpha was released are still there, that organised MP communities are still playing Arma 2, mods are still not suitable for public MP and public MP is the same horrible thing it was in previous titles, servers seem to choke on themselves and FPS while playing MP is horrible. (I'm not saying they aren't looking into it, but it is what it is right now) Yes, you can play around with addons in the editor and singleplayer.

Even as a person who doesn't play MP except on special circumstances, I find that odd as my experience with organised MP was fantastic with previous titles, and now those same groups don't want to touch Arma 3 due to MP issues and because they have more stuff in Arma 2 (this is more about mods than official content, but yeah).

He predicted that Arma 3 will have mods. Congratulations. Nobody saw that coming.

But looking at the game itself, it's a shame that great many issues from when Alpha was released are still there, that organised MP communities are still playing Arma 2, mods are still not suitable for public MP and public MP is the same horrible thing it was in previous titles, servers seem to choke on themselves and FPS while playing MP is horrible. (I'm not saying they aren't looking into it, but it is what it is right now) Yes, you can play around with addons in the editor and singleplayer.

Even as a person who doesn't play MP except on special circumstances, I find that odd as my experience with organised MP was fantastic with previous titles, and now those same groups don't want to touch Arma 3 due to MP issues and because they have more stuff in Arma 2 (this is more about mods than official content, but yeah).

^this, I think the last time any of us within my clan played Arma 3 was over 3 weeks ago. We haven't even bothered going back to A2, and I have gone back to playing TOH and other games myself.

I mean, just look at what Sega has done with Rome 2 since release, then compare it to what BIS have done with Arma 3. Rome started in the worse state, but now (imo) it is in a much better state than Arma 3. I guess the devs must have just got complacent.

BIS's philosophy (from what I can tell) has been to build a balanced "framework" upon which the community can create their own "adventure" .... whether that be with modding new things or making scenarios. Also, considering that games like COD or BF4 only give you about 30 scenarios / maps per release, BIS and the modding community gives us 1000's of scenario's to play within....that is just fantastic. And just because BIS didn't include everything you wished for on "Release Day" back in September doesn't mean they are being "lazy." Again, BIS builds a "Vanilla" game with an awesome Editor for the community to dabble around in and experiment. I think it's an ingenious idea.... it promotes community involvement and it gives a free range within the game itself. BIS has been very generous on their copy-write laws and allowing the community to "tinker around" with their product (within reason). As for the MP.....Yes, I'll agree with you there.... it needs to be overhauled and improved (Aren't they doing that right now?).

Like I said in the first thread, the game just keeps getting better and better with time....... it's a real treat to watch it evolve and grow into a Masterpiece. One thing we must keep in mind (we've all heard it before) is that BIS has a small staff compared to most of the software giants and they went through a rough time exactly one year ago...... this must be taken into consideration. As for porting over "Old Stuff" from ArmA 2..... so what? What's wrong with bringing over some of the stuff in the past that worked? And there is plenty of new stuff being made by the modding community.

Sycophant? Naw.... I just know a good product when I see it. I've been playing video games since "Pong" came out for the TV. I've watched the gaming community evolve pretty much from day 1. But lately, you see the same old pattern from gamer's when it comes to release day: Game has bugs (to be expected)...... the loud and vocal types get on the forums and complain and complain and complain - and then tell us how terrible the game is...... then usually 4 or 5 months down the road the software companies iron out the wrinkles and all is fine. Now, sometimes the "criticizing" can be "helpful" if it's done in a polite and professional manner.

Anyway.... my whole point of the thread is to point out that ArmA is like a fine wine, it just keeps getting better with age.

Edited by rehtus777

As for porting over "Old Stuff" from ArmA 2..... so what? What's wrong with bringing over some of the stuff in the past that worked?

Oh the Irony :rolleyes:

nobody would complain, if it's were just another "arma 3 iz a badd game! D:" thread, but you aren't happy when someone is happy with arma 3? lol

Early days yet.

So much to look forward to in the new year.

I like your attitude soldier..., now give me twenty!

.... whether that be with modding new things or making scenarios. Also, considering that games like COD or BF4 only give you about 30 scenarios / maps per release, BIS and the modding community gives us 1000's of scenario's to play within....that is just fantastic.

...gain, BIS builds a "Vanilla" game with an awesome Editor for the community to dabble around in and experiment. I think it's an ingenious idea.... it promotes community involvement and it gives a free range within the game itself. BIS has been very generous on their copy-write laws and allowing the community to "tinker around" with their product (within reason). ...

... Like I said in the first thread, the game just keeps getting better and better with time....... it's a real treat to watch it evolve and grow into a Masterpiece. One thing we must keep in mind (we've all heard it before) is that BIS has a small staff compared to most of the software giants and they went through a rough time exactly one year ago...... this must be taken into consideration....

...Anyway.... my whole point of the thread is to point out that ArmA is like a fine wine, it just keeps getting better with age....

You are preaching to the choir. I believe most of us are aware of that, but for example, there are certain things that have been cock-teased with maybes and "ok this time...ah, just kidding, cancelled!" that some of us have been waiting for a long time and it's getting to the point of where you simply consider them empty promises. Things like 3D Editor and the editor gear manager have gotten to the point as if George R.R. Martin is working for BI. "The features are coming guys, they're coming!".

And just because BIS didn't include everything you wished for on "Release Day" back in September doesn't mean they are being "lazy."

You're the first one to call them lazy here.

As for the MP.....Yes, I'll agree with you there.... it needs to be overhauled and improved (Aren't they doing that right now?).

They might be, we don't know. There was an experimental dedicated server build with some profiling stuff in it I believe.

As for porting over "Old Stuff" from ArmA 2..... so what? What's wrong with bringing over some of the stuff in the past that worked?

Absolutely nothing, they released a huge amount of source material from the old games and said "yeah, don't expect us to do this, but here, if you want to, you're free to do so" which is a great and conclusive answer to "you should've ported old stuff in the game too".

And there is plenty of new stuff being made by the modding community.

Yes, as with every single Arma title so far, what's your point here? It shouldn't be taken for granted anyway.

But lately, you see the same old pattern from gamer's when it comes to release day: Game has bugs (to be expected)...... the loud and vocal types get on the forums and complain and complain and complain - and then tell us how terrible the game is...... then usually 4 or 5 months down the road the software companies iron out the wrinkles and all is fine.

If nobody says anything and everyone is blindly praising it from day one, the game ends up selling massively, and the company repeats it year after year, and there's no competition, what incentive do the developers have for making it any better? This is mostly about the big companies. An example would be FIFA by EA. FIFA's used to be really bad, then they realised PES was milking the cow, so they made a great football game in the last couple of years, and Konami got complacent and are just now realizing it while EA is running to the bank. But FIFA didn't have much of a change in the last 2-3 years, and it still sold well, so we'll see how far that goes until the pendulum swings again.

Now, sometimes the "criticizing" can be "helpful" if it's done in a polite and professional manner.

Yes and that's what most of us here have been doing, when you ask for opinions about the attachment system before the recent adjustment, you'd get even the biggest BI supporters up in arms over how useless it was. Or about the action menu and stuff like that.

It's a slight case of the big brother - little brother syndrome. You'll beat him to a pulp if necessary but if anybody else even puts a finger on him, they're getting it.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I have to agree whats the issues, i mean there are only so many weapon systems and if you have a good jumping off point with assets from Arma 2 why not use them. I mean damn COD recycled its stuff over and over again, BF same thing same weapons from previous title with a few new ones thrown in. Unless a game goes sci-fi and into future there is only going to be so many weapons a person can have in a game that hasn't already been used.

I have to agree whats the issues, i mean there are only so many weapon systems and if you have a good jumping off point with assets from Arma 2 why not use them. I mean damn COD recycled its stuff over and over again, BF same thing same weapons from previous title with a few new ones thrown in. Unless a game goes sci-fi and into future there is only going to be so many weapons a person can have in a game that hasn't already been used.

If that were the case, than why, in 2035, does all of the US NATO, and British, use MX's, instead of a ton of variety in different futuristic, modified, tactically kitted out fire arms like they do in real life? ACR's, and .338 instead of 7.62 and 5.56... But again, more content is destined to arrive, patience is the real key when it comes to Arma. Recycled things, however... in terms of recycled items, the only problem i have with this, is the models still looking as if it belongs in a lower gen game. Other than that, personally, it would have taken time, but i think they could have made an even better looking Hellcat (wildcat port) model from scratch, and a better looking Buzzard (L-159 ALCA) model.

Apart from testing things and playing around with AI there's still nothing to do that engages me, MP is dead (for me) and to be honest I can't really be assed constantly downloading A2 content for A3 when I can just play Arma 2, which I happily do. I still look forward to when A3 re-captures my imagination, in saying that it's great to see lots of fresh faces and ideas, there are some mods I'm really looking forward to trying once released but for now maybe give it another year or 3.

well, its nothing new, when the next game title arrives, it litereary tears the community a part, some veterans say nay... and stay with old but beloved games, and some along with newcomers say yey! And enjoying the new game.

I remember myself, staying all along with OFP when arma 1 came, yes i liked some bits of arma 1, but it was like 1% of all. After a while, i became tired of same old but lovely ofp, when meanwhile arma 2 got released (didn't even think to try CoD or BF, no hate, just personal taste for more hardcore games over arcade). But with all the bugs and low performance (i was also playing on 1 core Pentium 4 2,4 ghz,) no wonders, i was dissapointed again, since to me , arma 2 looked really what ofp 2 should have been. After a while, the game got patched, polished, operation arrowhead came, i have finally build new pc, with 4 cores (amd phenom x4 965be) along with my widescreen lg w2443t, downloaded arma 2 operation arrowhead demo, started up the editor, placed myself on a takistani hill, runned it up and was realy deeply impressed, for first time. So i became arma 2 fan myself, and didn't want to return to ofp anymore.

I do honestly understand some people, ofp/arma 2 vets especially, not liking arma 3, even i've spend 600 hours in that game already. But arma 2 feels to me now, like ofp while back, when i have switched to arma 2 from ofp. Arma 3 is much more polished and optimized then arma 2 was at realease state. Yes it it has lil less content, arma 2 had but this did not hurt me much, since i'm following the progress since arma 3 alpha, and i know, we will get more goodies later, and we got some already. I can play it on ultra, even i can't play arma 2 on ultra today, and enjoying it's beauty.

Yes, i was on certain "fanboism", when there were tons of pessimistic arma 3 threads, but now i say, let us just enjoy our games, ofp, arma 2 or arma 3, toh, not fighting and calling eachother "fanboy", "crybaby" "oldfart" "hater", and our games "arcade" "to old" "sci-fi" etc, but coexist on the forums, at each games personal threads, not disturbing eachother. There is a weird saying: everyone jerks at it's own... :cool: So lets, not teach eachother, what games and how to play (unless you are being asked):j:, but rather be more respectful towards eachother! ;)

And yes, i'm not drunk or drugged (not doing this stuff for many years ^^) J/SIZE] Just thought, it'll be cool to start a new year from a positive note.:cool:

Happy NY everyone on armaverse! :D

Edited by NeuroFunker

I'm just amused that this "I told you so" thread was made while there are like 5 or 6 threads on the front page complaining about stuff.

Edit:

but coexist on the forums, at each games personal threads, not disturbing eachother.

I kind of see what you are saying, but this sounds like a recipe for a stagnant game series. I just don't understand this mindset. If everyone just goes along like they are satisfied, then nothing gets changed or improved upon.

Edited by roshnak

I'm just amused that this "I told you so" thread was made while there are like 5 or 6 threads on the front page complaining about stuff.

Edit:

I kind of see what you are saying, but this sounds like a recipe for a stagnant game series. I just don't understand this mindset. If everyone just goes along like they are satisfied, then nothing gets changed or improved upon.

well i see it more simple, if it hasn't been changed yet, it doesn't mean it won't for ever. And i do honestly appriciate, people like kju for example or others, who do really have a clue what they are talking about, what did they expect and want to be changed in the new game, pointing BI, on stuff. And i'm sure BI listens to them, to us, doing all possible they can to offer us a better game.

well, its nothing new, when the next game title arrives, it litereary tears the community a part, some veterans say nay... and stay with old but beloved games, and some along with newcomers say yey! And enjoying the new game.

I remember myself, staying all along with OFP when arma 1 came, yes i liked some bits of arma 1, but it was like 1% of all. After a while, i became tired of same old but lovely ofp, when meanwhile arma 2 got released (didn't even think to try CoD or BF, no hate, just personal taste for more hardcore games over arcade). But with all the bugs and low performance (i was also playing on 1 core Pentium 4 2,4 ghz,) no wonders, i was dissapointed again, since to me , arma 2 looked really what ofp 2 should have been. After a while, the game got patched, polished, operation arrowhead came, i have finally build new pc, with 4 cores (amd phenom x4 965be) along with my widescreen lg w2443t, downloaded arma 2 operation arrowhead demo, started up the editor, placed myself on a takistani hill, runned it up and was realy deeply impressed, for first time. So i became arma 2 fan myself, and didn't want to return to ofp anymore.

I do honestly understand some people, ofp/arma 2 vets especially, not liking arma 3, even i've spend 600 hours in that game already. But arma 2 feels to me now, like ofp while back, when i have switched to arma 2 from ofp. Arma 3 is much more polished and optimized then arma 2 was at realease state. Yes it it has lil less content, arma 2 had but this did not hurt me much, since i'm following the progress since arma 3 alpha, and i know, we will get more goodies later, and we got some already. I can play it on ultra, even i can't play arma 2 on ultra today, and enjoying it's beauty.

Yes, i was on certain "fanboism", when there were tons of pessimistic arma 3 threads, but now i say, let us just enjoy our games, ofp, arma 2 or arma 3, toh, not fighting and calling eachother "fanboy", "crybaby" "oldfart" "hater", and our games "arcade" "to old" "sci-fi" etc, but coexist on the forums, at each games personal threads, not disturbing eachother. There is a weird saying: everyone jerks at it's own... :cool: So lets, not teach eachother, what games and how to play (unless you are being asked):j:, but rather be more respectful towards eachother! ;)

And yes, i'm not drunk or drugged (not doing this stuff for many years ^^) J/SIZE] Just thought, it'll be cool to start a new year from a positive note.:cool:

Happy NY everyone on armaverse! :D

Well said. I probably shouldn't have posted the thread in the first place..... but last September when people where just going off on BIS and how "Lousy" the game was, I chimed in and said, "It's not that bad...it's quite good, actually. Give them time to fix the bugs and let the modder's add their taste to the game. I bet by New Years, the game is going to be humming like a top." That is the main reason why I posted the thread. Also, in the last 2 weeks, there has been a flurry of mod's put out by the community and the game has been taken to new heights. As for those wanting to go back to ArmA 2 because ArmA 3 hasn't met up to your standards, why not just use AllinArma for your gaming enjoyment? I mean, the mechanics / Physics are much better .... the radio chatter is 1000 times better..... and the eye candy is sweet.

Someone above said that unless they go way into the future, many of the old weapons are going to be re-used or upgraded. I agree. I don't think they are going to have "Star Wars" type laser guns in 2035. Also, the economy has tanked (according to the story) for over a decade in the West (2024 or so to 2035) ....this means that "research and development" has suffered..... correct? So how much more advanced have the weapons gotten for the World and the West since Operation Black Gauntlet (2013) and the collapse of the economies of the West? Something to think about when it comes to advanced weapons in 2035.

Anyway..... I'm enjoying the heck out of the game..... it's a blast to go back to ArmA 2 and play it with all the new mod's (like ALiVE or DUWS for examples) on the gorgeous Map Pack by Alduric; It's a lot of fun to roam and fight on the new 300 Sq Km of new terrain; and etc. etc. Sure, it still has it's problems, many of the bugs are being ironed out and the next part of the Campaign will be here shortly. In the End, the one good thing about BIS is that they are listening to the Community on how to improve the game..... they've got one of the best forums to dialogue with the developers, something rarely seen with such a large game title. (Side note: What we want and what we think should be in the game is not necessarily how BIS might see it.)

Enough said.... Happy New Year and enjoy the game. Go out and buy yourself a copy of Iron Front and take yourself back to WW2...... I just love that era...... good stuff within the Real Virtuality 4 Engine.

Edited by rehtus777
spelling and grammar correction

The whiners will always be on the forums doing their thing while the majority of people enjoying the game are playing it.

The whiners will always be on the forums doing their thing while the majority of people enjoying the game are playing it.

lol and someone reporting you, just confirmed what you saying.

Reporting him for speaking his mind? it's a great game, best game to play on pc hands down, I can't wait to see what 2014 rolls out from the Devs content wise. If the Devs released allot of fresh weapons, armies and vehicles I will happily throw my credit card at them. The ultimate problem is the speed of content release. Hurry it up!

I agree with the OP. Arma is a modding platform vs a well-rounded and complete game out-of-the-box. And that's fine with me. Sure, BIS could/should add more content and expand maps over time, but I think the pace is fine, personally. I'd prefer silly features/bugs get ironed out first.

As for single player campaign: can't imagine a lot of people buy the game for the campaign. Sure, they promised a campaign so they'll need to develop it, but pretty sure 80%+ of the community couldn't care less about SP.

No. I reported him because that is flamebait. It's the typical name-calling asking-for-flames type of post that actually incites all the fighting, and it doesn't prove anything.

Discussion is not the problem. But this isn't discussion, it's flaming. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even I, but if you can't tell it without insulting, don't be surprised if you get a report.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Reporting him for speaking his mind? it's a great game, best game to play on pc hands down, I can't wait to see what 2014 rolls out from the Devs content wise. If the Devs released allot of fresh weapons, armies and vehicles I will happily throw my credit card at them. The ultimate problem is the speed of content release. Hurry it up!

Calling people that take issue with certain aspects of the game is not "whining", and these people aren't "whiners". I wish everybody would grow up and behave like adults.

And before the usual "this isn't the game for you" type of reply comes up again, I released three mods, a couple of missions, and a number of tools for this game. How many have you?

Pretty sure it was just a spelling typo..., he meant to say, 'the "winners"'.

Can't we all just get along?