Sign in to follow this  
opendome

Terrible Performance

Unparking the cores helped but its still only using about 25% of my cpu. Does anyone know of anyways to at least get it up to 50%?

Not really. It's a well-known and long-standing issue.

Intel might help...raw GHz might help. Other than that you are SOL until the engine is optimized better.

Hi Opendome,

maybe i missed it but what i didn't find here are some hard facts needed for a proper comparison with the intel machines:

1) What's your score of these benchmarks ?

2) How do you measure your cpu utilization and in which scenario ?

(You could use CoreTemp and enable the logging function before running the benchmarks.)

Let us now your results.

i don't think this issue will ever be solved. almost everyday someone with good computer makes a thread about bad performance. it's a mixture of reasons, mostly to do with the engine being old. not being able to use multiple cores properly, not being able to remove objects from the game world in real time, etc.

By the way, straight from the developer's mouth:

for 65535 timer there is no -high commandline command and maxmem is for now limited to 2047

Just to make sure we dispel any rumors.

-high drastically reduced the stuttering I had when I first bought the game. doesn't really matter if it has a hard limit or not, putting a higher amount is at the very least going to yield identical results.

You use a startup parameter that doesn't exist - http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma3:_Startup_Parameters - and it fixes your stuttering? Wow, nice find. Does it work better than -fixmygame ?

As for maxmem, 2047 is the upper limit. Setting it higher is pointless as it will default back to 2047. What if BIS changes that behaviour and no-one knows? That is why it is bad advice to set it to a value that doesn't work. Set it to 2047 or leave it alone.

You use a startup parameter that doesn't exist - http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma3:_Startup_Parameters - and it fixes your stuttering? Wow, nice find. Does it work better than -fixmygame ?

As for maxmem, 2047 is the upper limit. Setting it higher is pointless as it will default back to 2047. What if BIS changes that behaviour and no-one knows? That is why it is bad advice to set it to a value that doesn't work. Set it to 2047 or leave it alone.

I can actively reproduce that at any time, and I have. I take the -high command out of the steam launch parameters and the Vehicles showcase is borderline unplayable, put it back in and relaunch and it's fine. if what you suggested happened then the only result, if any, would be that the game has slightly higher RAM allocation than before. though that's not even remotely possible unless they completely reworked the engine and released it as an update to the game which I'm sure you know no developer would ever do.

What do you think -high does? It is not listed as a switch parameter in the BIS wiki nor was it in a parameter in Arma 2. So, where did you find it and what do you think it does?

As for maxmem, if you set it higher than 2047, it will default back to 2047. It would be trivial for BIS to change this. It is largely there to protect users of 32 Bit Operating Systems, as far as I can tell.

Also, when you posted this:

use the following launch parameters: -high -maxVRAM=1000 maxMem=4000 cpuCount=4 -noLogs

did you deliberately leave the "-" hyphen off some of them? Because without the hyphen, they are not active switches...

Edited by jiltedjock

What do you think -high does? It is not listed as a switch parameter in the BIS wiki nor was it in a parameter in Arma 2. So, where did you find it and what do you think it does?

As for maxmem, if you set it higher than 2047, it will default back to 2047. It would be trivial for BIS to change this. It is largely there to protect users of 32 Bit Operating Systems, as far as I can tell.

Also, when you posted this:

my guess is that like many other steam games using -high in the launch options makes windows treat the application as a high priority process. no idea if it does or doesn't do that but all I know is that if I don't use it I get severe, skyrim level stuttering. I typed those out based on his specs and I guess I stopped using - at some point. it's called a typo, they happen.

did you deliberately leave the "-" hyphen off some of them? Because without the hyphen, they are not active switches...

I was typing those out based on his specs and I guess I stopped using - at some point. it's called a typo, they happen.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! Ill definitely give them a shot, sorry things have been a bit hectic lately. Im still getting bad performance but Im hoping this next update will fix it (they said its supposed to better optimize AMD and multilplayer but who knows)

My benchmarks are: (used Passmark performance test, also I should not I have done several of these benchmarks and the values seem to deviate +/- 40 or so sometimes, also Im using a small monitor that doesn't support the benchmarks desired resolution so it gives me a penalization on scores from it)

CPU: 5481

2D Graphics: 428.6

3D: 4006

Memory: 1065

Disk Mark: 3509

and my max temps during benchmark were (used CPUID HW Monitor)

CPU: 55C

GPU: 54C

SYSTIN: 28C

AUXTIN: 128C (seems weird and seems like people using the same software for temps get a similar if not higher temp here)

TMPI3: 40C

Edited by Opendome

Since I'm not allowed to post new thread I'm going to ask here.

I can play ARMA3 with no issue whatsoever, but for the last few days my pc has begun to slow down upon exiting the game. Some games I've tested after exiting ARMA3, like Star Trek Online has begun stuttering even in main menus, loading screens, startup. This also happens for Windows and the browser. Moving the mouse over the start menu skips several of the icons as if it was lagging behind. All webpages load slowly, and the videos and animations just seems to stutter. The mouse is not affected, and several games like Chivalry work just fine with no stutters.

Right now this is an issue that prevents me from wanting to even play. Every time I exit ARMA3 I get the slowdowns. Nothing else causes it.

Since I'm not allowed to post new thread I'm going to ask here.

I can play ARMA3 with no issue whatsoever, but for the last few days my pc has begun to slow down upon exiting the game. Some games I've tested after exiting ARMA3, like Star Trek Online has begun stuttering even in main menus, loading screens, startup. This also happens for Windows and the browser. Moving the mouse over the start menu skips several of the icons as if it was lagging behind. All webpages load slowly, and the videos and animations just seems to stutter. The mouse is not affected, and several games like Chivalry work just fine with no stutters.

Right now this is an issue that prevents me from wanting to even play. Every time I exit ARMA3 I get the slowdowns. Nothing else causes it.

have you checked your task manager for an arma3.exe process using up resources

have you checked your task manager for an arma3.exe process using up resources

There is no such process. After exiting the game all system values are more or less identical to the state before starting the game.

H

My benchmarks are: (used Passmark performance test, also I should not I have done several of these benchmarks and the values seem to deviate +/- 40 or so sometimes, also Im using a small monitor that doesn't support the benchmarks desired resolution so it gives me a penalization on scores from it)

You need to run these benchmarks for comparison.

How do you measure your cpu utilization and in which scenario ?

(You could use CoreTemp and enable the logging function before running the benchmarks.)

Let us now your results.

Oh whoops lol

After the benchmark I got 35 fps average

my settings are

Sampling: 100%

Texture: High

Object: Standard

Terrain: Standard

Shadows: Disabled

Particles: High

Cloud: Low

PIP: Disabled

HDR: Low

Dunamic Lights: Low

Viewdistance: 1653

and all of the A and PP off

Oh whoops lol

After the benchmark I got 35 fps average

Higher than most.

That's not too bad, but i get 68 on "very high" (see here)

As your video card is better than mine, your CPU seems to stop the show. And according to my CPU utilisation tests, my GTX570 is limiting for me. If you like, adjust to my settings for a 1:1 comparison.

I can actively reproduce that at any time, and I have. I take the -high command out of the steam launch parameters and the Vehicles showcase is borderline unplayable, put it back in and relaunch and it's fine. if what you suggested happened then the only result, if any, would be that the game has slightly higher RAM allocation than before. though that's not even remotely possible unless they completely reworked the engine and released it as an update to the game which I'm sure you know no developer would ever do.

"for 65535 timer there is no -high commandline command and maxmem is for now limited to 2047"

-dwarden, bis dev.

why do people do this? make things up?

just because you lie to yourself that the game runs better using these fake commands, doesn't actually make it run better, and won't help others make their game run better.

can you please explain your reasoning? i'm just curious.

"for 65535 timer there is no -high commandline command and maxmem is for now limited to 2047"

-dwarden, bis dev.

why do people do this? make things up?

just because you lie to yourself that the game runs better using these fake commands, doesn't actually make it run better, and won't help others make their game run better.

can you please explain your reasoning? i'm just curious.

can you explain your reasoning for repeating something that's already been said and responded to numerous times in this thread as opposed to just not posting at all

Hmm so Im at a loss. I upgraded to a AMD FX 8350 and now my rig is

AMD FX-8350

8GB of G-Skill Ram

Corsair GT 120 SSD

Nvidia GTX 660

and Im still having issues with quality and FPS drops and fluctuations. I performed benchmarks and brought my rig into the shop to have the hardware and software examined (they said everything was fine). I was wondering if anyone knows what kinds of settings are recommended for my rig (I prioritize FPS and stability of graphics)? Right now only half of my GPU and CPU get utilized at the most (I know its a common problem) and I get fluctuations between 25-65 fps (sometimes within the same town). Am I expecting too much for FPS or is there a problem with me settings? (the fluctuations and periodic freezes are the most frustrating).

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Opendome. First of all, you need to test your FPS in single player. Multiplayer FPs is mostly not dependant of your rig.

I am not pro when it comes to graphic tweaking, by here I turned off all shadows and put view distance to about 3000 meters and object draw distance to about 1300 meters.

Turn post processing off. Use HDAO in ambient occlusion.

The rest is for you to test and see the results.

Hmm so Im at a loss. I upgraded to a AMD FX 8350 and now my rig is

AMD FX-8350

8GB of G-Skill Ram

Corsair GT 120 SSD

Nvidia GTX 660

and Im still having issues with quality and FPS drops and fluctuations. I performed benchmarks and brought my rig into the shop to have the hardware and software examined (they said everything was fine). I was wondering if anyone knows what kinds of settings are recommended for my rig (I prioritize FPS and stability of graphics)? Right now only half of my GPU and CPU get utilized at the most (I know its a common problem) and I get fluctuations between 25-65 fps (sometimes within the same town). Am I expecting too much for FPS or is there a problem with me settings? (the fluctuations and periodic freezes are the most frustrating).

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

lower view distance to 1-1.5k and object distance even further, object and terrain quality on low for multiplayer to get slightly higher fps, sadly amd cpu's are not great for arma

yeah, upgrading to that cpu was a big mistake. I went from an FX-8150 to an I7 4771 and my performance is flawless now. you should be able to get a solid 60 FPS on some parts of altis if you have the right settings but as far as I know amd doesn't have any CPU that'll give you stable performance in the big towns.