cool=azroul13

UPSMON Updated to ArmaIII

I just tried it for the first time and I love it! Especially wicked when AI flanked us and wiped out most of my AI team... something that the vanilla AI never did before! Thanks Cool=Azroul13, for an awesome script!

Forgive the n00b question but I'd love to pull off a "blow up the radio tower before the enemy can call for reinforcements" in my missions. I would think it would need to work on a timer from *first engagement* and check to see if the radio tower was still standing before reinforcements were deployed. I already have tasks working to take down the tower and settaskstate to show it completed. Does anyone have the time to help me with this? Thanks in advance, either way.

I'm also having problems with "fortify" on the newest release. I give a squad leader nul=[this,"area0","fortify"] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf"; and they just stand there?

Hi,

One Question, this Script UPSMON New Version Can be Used in Arma II CO?

Thanks.

New version added to the first post.

Here the changelog:

-Correction of missing variable in Track and Respawn module

-Reorganization of some UPSMON module

-Solve problem with Reinforcement module

@Oktyabr

I don't see any problem with fortify parameter.

About your previous question: I suggest you to check the Timeoutcounter chapter of this page: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mission_Editor:_Waypoints.

@redburn

Hi,

no, sorry I use some commands and function from ArmaIII for this version.

Bad news:

bcombat is not compatible with Ambush module.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for the update Cool=Azroul13! I'll try fortifying with debugging on this time, maybe in one of your test missions.

And thanks for the tip on the countdown waypoint and triggers! Now I have something to experiment with, getting UPSMON reinforcements to show up after a certain time/trigger IF radio tower is not destroyed. :)

BTW, are you the maintainer of the UPSMON wiki too? It seems a bit out of date, particularly the dev heaven downloads? http://dev.withsix.com/projects/upsmon/wiki

NICE test mission too! :D

Edited by Oktyabr

I'm not in charge of the wiki, it was created by Monsada. All downloads in there are for ArmaII. but it's a good base to understand how works UPSMON (even if some module are not use in the same way).

Cool=Azroul13

Have you given any thought to ammunition supply for AI? I know some *other* AI systems will dictate that a LMG unit, for instance, fire full auto as realistic, which is fine... until they are out of ammo. I've always wondered about how feasible it would be (without creating a lot of CPU overhead) to have AI switch to a more conservative ammo use as they begin to run low, perhaps firing more single shots or bursts, and taking more time to increase accuracy. Alternatively it might be a good time for the AI to start to retreat if they are being pressed upon *and* running low of ammo... or...

The AI could rearm "smart", like is pulled off in the ASR_AI mod (which I don't use in public missions due to dependency on CBA and mod form, rather than script like UPSMON, which I prefer). AI *should* be able to take compatible ammunition from nearby sources including backpacks of live teammates and dead, boxes, vehicles, etc. Then it would be possible to add in ammunition boxes and have the AI rearm from them as expected.

Does UPSMON do any of that already (I haven't seen any AI rearming but that doesn't mean they don't)? Can it be added in while retaining the script format? Or is this out of the scope of what you wish to do with UPSMON?

Either way I love your work on it. Thanks very much for making this. :)

Unfortunately, UPSMON doesn't control IA on individual level.

It will need an addon, to be really effective, that replace the standard IA behaviour like bcombat do.

A.I rearming will be possible, but I prefer wait, and see if BIS will not implement it. It seems that AI leader already give order to their subordinate to rearm at vehicle or boxes.

A.I rearming will be possible, but I prefer wait, and see if BIS will not implement it. It seems that AI leader already give order to their subordinate to rearm at vehicle or boxes.

Thanks for the answer. That's good to know. I'll have to investigate this some more. I wonder how ASR_AI does it...

It surely check if unit has no magazine (command magazinesAmmoFull), check if there are a dead body or vehicle or support unit with munition (nearestobjects + magazinesAmmoFull) and order the AI to move to the object and take weapon or mag from it ("TakeWeapon" or "TakeMagazine").

hey man,

thanks for another update. I checked the reinforcement with your mission and it seems to work there. However, with builds prior to 6.03 I used to be able to test reinforcement by having a trigger with

KRON_UPS_reinforcement = true;
that was fired with the Alpha radio command. The I'd observe enemy taking an empty helo and go to the marker specified in the leader's init field. This no longer works.

After further tests:

I used to use the "nomove" command to immobilize the units I meant as reinforcement, but following your mission example I replaced the "nomove" with "nowp" and that has done the trick! Now, when the alarm is triggered the reinforcements start moving! :)

Edited by GvsE

I'm trying this latest build by previewing in the editor (SP) and fortify *does* seem to work now, sort of. Stable version of the game (1.08), Stratis air base, I built a small marker (20 x 20) called "town" that encompasses the "Military Cargo Post" in the NE corner, along the road. I placed a basic rifle group on the road, outside of the base. I put this line in on the squad leader:

nul=[this,"town","randomup","fortify"] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

They take off at a jog, go right past the guard post and into the Military offices which are actually outside of my "town" marker and take up positions inside there. I was hoping to get at least a couple of them in the guard posts, something I would very much like to be able to do for the entire base eventually. I thought "randomup" might encourage this behavior but they do the same thing whether I use it or not. Is there a way to get them to favor guard posts and "Military Cargo HQ" buildings with some on the top, rather than the office buildings?

Further, sometimes when they go into the Military Offices I can look on my map and see that one, sometimes two or three, will have gone outside too. I go outside and they get tagged in my crosshairs but I can't see them or run into them?

Is this something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

No other scripts or mods in use. Only UPSMON in a brand new mission with only this in my init.sqf (as instructed in first post):

//Init UPSMON script

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "scripts\Init_UPSMON.sqf";

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

PS, the second demo mission, "embuscade" is missing some stuff ... something "gorgon"? And won't load. The first one however, is excellent!

As an avid user of UPSMON in A2, it's nice to see this resurrected (again) in A3. However, looking through the scripts, it looks like if you use this to spawn additional AI, it will NOT spawn them with customized equipment, correct? That was something that was really nice with the A2 version of A2.

@Gvse

What do you mean ? The group will not move to his marker if there far from it ?

@Oktyabr

The group will take the nearest building near his position if it has at least three positions.

"Randomup" means that unit will spawn on High position in buildings they not move to it, I suggest to use with it "NOWP" or NOWP2 or NOWP3.

For the mission, I test it with JRSsound and it seems it let some dependencies. You need to remove these lines from mission.sqm : "jsrs2_afv4_gorgon".

@gatordev

If you spawn them, it just add the group to the UPSMON loop but it doesn't modify the group.

@Oktyabr

The group will take the nearest building near his position if it has at least three positions.

"Randomup" means that unit will spawn on High position in buildings they not move to it, I suggest to use with it "NOWP" or NOWP2 or NOWP3.

For the mission, I test it with JRSsound and it seems it let some dependencies. You need to remove these lines from mission.sqm : "jsrs2_afv4_gorgon".

Thanks for the reply! I guessed it was something like that. It might be nice to have a way to say spawn only in high positions available in the "town", to better populate such two story military structures first?

@Gvse

What do you mean ? The group will not move to his marker if there far from it ?

Don't worry about it man. The reinforcement works ok now: I just have to use the "nowp" command instead of "nomove" in the init of the reinforcement group leader. Then the group stays put in one place until the trigger fires up.

Btw, are you on Dev branch? Do you also get AI patrolling with their weapons raised (when they should be in "SAFE") or is it only the dev build problem?

Otherwise, good job on the sripts! Thanks again for all your work

@gatordev

If you spawn them, it just add the group to the UPSMON loop but it doesn't modify the group.

Bummer, though I can understand how much more difficult that would be now with all of the additional items in A3 that a unit carries that would have to be tracked.

Might be a dumb question, but is there any way i can use this with usermade missions or the official campaign like bcombat or any regular gameplay mod?

@Gvse

There some misinterpretation with some UPSMON parameter: "Nomove" is use when you want your unit to move to building but as long as the "Fortify" parameter. If you don't want them to move you need to use "NOWP".

On some mission I see that some people use "MOVE" parameter but it doesn't exist in UPSMON.

@gatordev

I don't really understand what you want to do ?

@Hunter123

Impossible, it's not an addon but a script you need to put in the mission folder to make it works.

Is this script multiplayer compatible on a dedicated server?

I got some problems on my server with the old UPS Script.

Btw: Very nice script!

I will say yes, but I don't tested it on multiplayer so it's up to you to test it and report if it works :p

Are you using the DEV branch Cool=Azroul13? Or stable? Have you tested these scripts with both (can you recommend one over the other?)

Is there a way to use UPSMON to populate the upper levels of the watch towers and the roof of HQ buildings? I have fortify working now but nothing I've done will get them to go up stairs! I'm running the stable version. :)

I only use stable version.

have you try this:

nul=[this,"town","randomup","NOWP"] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

I will work on it on later version.

I only use stable version.

have you try this:

nul=[this,"town","randomup","NOWP"] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

I will work on it on later version.

Yes. Just tried it again. I placed a marker called "town" 100x100 that included the guard post and HQ building on the hill top just east of the Stratis air base. I placed a BLUEFOR squad of six (I think that area has at least six "up" positions available) inside the marker area. I used nul=[this,"town","randomup","NOWP"] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf"; on the squad leader. I placed a blue "player" unit so I could watch the action. They either move just a little bit and then they stand there, on the ground, or they turn invisible and stay on the ground. I tried using a smaller marker size and I experimented with placing the units in different starting locations and nothing I did would get them to occupy the upper placements of either structure. I tested with vanilla 1.08 with no additional scripts or add ons.

I really appreciate your work on this! I very much enjoy UPSMON other than this one problem. I know there is an official module that will place units in these upper positions but they are "stupid" about their behavior and there is no way to further customize individual groups or units placed with the module method.

Best wishes,