CyclonicTuna

What's the story behind your username and avatar?

Not long ago I searched for a new nickname to use in the wide internet. This new nick should be kinda universal and not belong to some game, movie, book,.. and of course be unique.

After a while and many non-satisfying ideas i decided to go wild. ;)

I took the speed of light (299 792 458 m/s) and simply converted it into a hexadecimal number which is 11de784a, often written as 0x11de784a. Thats it, simple but unique.

That is... actually kinda cool :P

That is... actually kinda cool :P

Geek! :D

Not long ago I searched for a new nickname to use in the wide internet. This new nick should be kinda universal and not belong to some game, movie, book,.. and of course be unique.

After a while and many non-satisfying ideas i decided to go wild. ;)

I took the speed of light (299 792 458 m/s) and simply converted it into a hexadecimal number which is 11de784a, often written as 0x11de784a. Thats it, simple but unique.

To be honest, that is the most creative way of getting a username I have ever seen ^^

Mine is about 10 years old and I wanted one for a game, so I thought about several and made a list. All my friends had one vote and this one was the lucky winner. It is maybe not the most creative one but it has the advantage that I have never come across it when I needed to register for a new account. :)

My name is from a (used to be) popular YouTuber, themightyhutch. Then I used my last name to replace the "hutch" part. Also, I figured since I'm a sarcastic *** that I'd use "themighty" since, well, I'm not mighty lol

I started using the lesscubes handle when I was a member of a car club focusing on vintage Chevrolet's. My ride had a 283 cubic inch small block, most of the guys had at least 350's, many had big blocks, hence, lesscubes.

The avatar matches, it's a '57 283.

I really wish we could choose aliases on here, like Steam, but it doesn't really matter. I joined the BIS forums a couple months after the release of OFP when I finally had broadband installed. I chose my username because I was heavily into the band Tool at that time, which reflected my thinking of eyes and the outlook on life. I started a silly little clan back in 2002 and chose the username "Euly" (short for Eulogy), which I have used ever since. Many people in that group (including me) were too lazy to pronounce "Eulogy" completely, so Euly stuck. In 2004, my best friend that I grew up with was killed in a hit-and-run incident, so my username became permanent. Though, I don't associate the song with my friend, just why he died. To this day, even my fiance calls me Euly when she's talking to my friends.

I choose this avatar because life is a lot like Wile E. Coyote, sometimes, things just don't go according to plan. ;)

A bit of humor, I used to have a better avatar. Back when Flashpoint was their sole game, some of the BIS moderators were using an avatar of a post-Vietnam era U.S. soldier. The soldier had a serious look on his face and his helmet had "Born to Kill" inscribed on the side, imitating Full Metal Jacket. At the time, I lurked the forums a lot and noticed that the moderators were quick to close threads for petty reasons, such as thinly veiled criticism. I see their valid reasoning, now, but ten years ago I was in my 20's and a little more anti-authoritative, so I pulled that avatar into Photoshop and used a drooping filter to make his eyes and mouth look like he had Down Syndrome and then replaced the text with "Born to Close." It was the best avatar ever. I had that on my profile for about a year before a moderator removed it. When I messaged the mod to ask what happened, he said something to the effect of "We saw the image when you uploaded it. We thought it was clever, so we allowed it, but now we're getting copycats, and we can't have that." I don't remember if they had the infraction system in place like they do now, but I agreed not do anything like that again. It was funny, though.

Edited by Lucidity
clarification

@Lucidity : very nice and moving story. I still don't connect Euly with Lucidity though :)

@Lucidity : very nice and moving story. I still don't connect Euly with Lucidity though :)

Euly is what I use everywhere else. There is no direct connection, aside from the inspiration of the band.

I happened to read on the net about a chinchilla called Spike that got its toe caught in the corner of its cage a few years ago and needed vet treatment, so i took its name as a gesture of sympathy.

My avatar is from the box of the old boardgame 'Squad Leader: Crescendo of Doom' you can just see it in this pic of me and Gaz Newton 32 years ago (I'm the hairy nerd on the right)

pzclub2_zps8b76a5c5.jpg~original

Edited by PoorOldSpike

I happened to read on the net about a chinchilla called Spike that got its toe caught in the corner of its cage a few years ago and needed vet treatment, so i took its name as a gesture of sympathy.

My avatar is from the box of the old boardgame 'Squad Leader: Crescendo of Doom' you can just see it in this pic of me and Gaz Newton 32 years ago (I'm the hairy nerd on the right)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/pzclub2_zps8b76a5c5.jpg~original

I don't know whats more impressive, your choice of carpet and wallpaper 32 years ago, or the fact that you have posted a photo of yourself from 32 years ago. Either way, that's amazing.

My nick is composed by two parts Misty & Ronin.

Ronin comes from the Japanese rÅnin (浪人), which literally means "wave man", wanderer.

It has its origin in the feudal Japan where the samurais that didn't have a master/lord to serve ( for any reason ) wandered around working as mercenaries, guards, whatever.

Basically it describes me quite well, after finishing my military professional time I have been wandering around Europe ( I have lived in 7 different cities in different countries ) taking all kind of jobs.

The Misty part is to make it more mysterious and singular.

My avatar it's just a picture that describes the nick.

So, my nick comes from the Belgian comic book Tintin, from the name of the crazy scientist called Professeur Tournesol in French but in some other languages Calculus or Bienlein or Zonnebloem.

In my mother tongue it's practically the same as in French. I wonder why translators changed it in other languages.

My nick is composed by two parts Misty & Ronin.

Ronin comes from the Japanese rÅnin (浪人), which literally means "wave man", wanderer.

It has its origin in the feudal Japan where the samurais that didn't have a master/lord to serve ( for any reason ) wandered around working as mercenaries, guards, whatever.

Basically it describes me quite well, after finishing my military professional time I have been wandering around Europe ( I have lived in 7 different cities in different countries ) taking all kind of jobs.

The Misty part is to make it more mysterious and singular.

My avatar it's just a picture that describes the nick.

One awesome story bro! You lived in 7 country's? Damn.

My username's quite dull really, I used Jona, my usual nickname and then thought I'd add something so I smacked the keyboard and got 33.

My avatar is a highly complex choice, as in, I couldn't be bothered to set one for these forums so...

My nickname is my real First name, my avatar is my real photo from my company ID CARD. Simple as that.

The moniker; Opus is a penguin. He's from the South Pole. Hence - Opus: From South Pole. OpusFmSPol.

In 1981 I was stationed in the Republic of Panama. I didn't know Spanish and struggled hard learning it. Some failures were annoying, some were humorous... others were not.

Anyway, the Miami Herald printed "Bloom County", a political satire comic strip created by Berke Breathed, and I just fell in love with this little cartoon penguin that boy "Binkley" brought home to be his "pet puppy", when this penguin began learning how to speak:

senator-bozo.gif

cg4f7e0135395c3.jpg

PearPimplesforhairyfishnuts.jpg

It illustrated perfectly the communication gap I was going through, and I have loved that penguin ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_the_Penguin

Around 1995, I came online, was looking for a moniker and chose Opus. But my e-mail provider already had an "Opus", and I didn't want numbers at the end so it had to be a phrase. At the time my e-mail provider only allowed ten digits for a username, so it had to be compressed. I thought about "OpusBdaMan", but then thought "no, he isn't a man, he's a penguin. He's from the South Pole." And from there came OpusFmSPol.

The avatar; it's from the strip above and was done specifically for my A2/OA squad .xml (thinking of a supply truck rolling by with Opus on the side made me snort coffee out my nose), however it was left abandoned among my squad files since I'm a social media neanderthal and have no website for it. When registering for the BI forums it seemed like a good use for it.

Edited by OpusFmSPol