Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Tactical M4 Variants & Accessories [WIP]

Hi,

Welcome to the tactical M4 variants mod.

Here I'm going to keep you updated on my progress with the list of things I have to do. I am new to modelling so I'm going to take it slow at first.

Here is a list of Things I want to accomplish with this mod.

M4's - 4 Versions

M4's Textures - 4 Variants

Various scope attachments

Silencers

Handgrips

M203

Surefire flashlight

Here is my first Pic of my progress to give you an Idea on my weapon of choice.

2wyh.jpg

Any help would be great on this project.

Here is my first update, I've added a rail to each side of the guard.

2v82.jpg

Hope you all like

Edited by Yoshi
Update

Here we go ! a guy with who gonna maka a good magnifier with an aimpoint ! you're my god !

Thank you for that :) I have a question to pose to any 3d modellers.

r86m.jpg

I can't seem to figure why this is happening, I'm trying to model a Guard that goes over the rail but these small areas keep coming up.

Any ideas on how to solve would be great, I'm using blender :)

please provide wireframe + a bigger perspective viewport picture

Ok I have fixed the problem, I had doubles all over the place... What can I say, I've only been 3d modelling for over 12 hrs.

here is the new guard.

5ybn.jpg

Hope you like it :)

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Here is the Front part of the weapon, still not finished but well on it's way.

utnx.jpg

Top view

uk7d.jpg

And here is a preview of what scopes I hope to add in game for this mod.

ne4u.png

Please be patient, I am new to this modelling lark but I hope to at least release a good mod for you all.

Ok so I'm just adding the last few parts on the front half of the rifle and would like to know how to put ridges on this.

up9w.jpg

I want it to resemble this look.

wzm5.jpg

Any ideas on how to do it in blender?

And I will do my best to make it compatible, I'm not familiar with configs at all, so I might need some help or time.

wow man. Good luck. I hope you add some magpul variants. i.e the magpul angle foregrip, the stubby foregrip, buttstock, etc etc.

Make them tan, and OD Green...sorry just fantasizing.

Nothing wrong with asking for a few extras, I'll see what I can do :)

were you talking about this

Will you please make your M4 / Attachments work with this

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23243

this way the attachments will work on various weapons

or this

wow man. Good luck. I hope you add some magpul variants. i.e the magpul angle foregrip, the stubby foregrip, buttstock, etc etc.

Make them tan, and OD Green...sorry just fantasizing.

or both?

Hey Yoshi. PM me if you need any testers when you get things ready. I have a whole gaming group that will love to test out weapons

I hope you have patience of carbyne coated diamond rods because the thread is about to quintuple with item requests now. :p

I want it to resemble this look.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8973/wzm5.jpg

Any ideas on how to do it in blender?

And I will do my best to make it compatible, I'm not familiar with configs at all, so I might need some help or time.

really nice!! keep going!

polar array with a small parallelepiped??

Edited by Agamennone

Would be perfect if this weapon can shoot with the RH Mk 262 round

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One X+ met Tapatalk

Here is a small update for you guys, I've redone the guard and rails, and added a folding battle sight to the front :)

3qjj.jpg

Hope you enjoy, and if I can I'll be adding the ability to use various rounds with this mod so I'll see what I can do.

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Here is my started handle, I'm currently looking at modelling different ones for each gun. But it might take me a while.

here is my first one, bare in mind I have yet to refine it.

xem0.jpg

grel.jpg

Also I have a question. Does the model have to be one object, and what is the limit on verts and faces?

Limit on faces is around 25000 if I don't remember bad. Vertex are around 35000 I think.

For the thing you ask on that lines thing, I would recommend you to use texture + RVMATs for it. you will be saving a lot of polygons there.

To get any decent looking model I would have though they'd give us more breathing room. I'm not finished yet and my model's at 43k on faces alone. I don't want to have to scrap it because I've put a lot of work into it.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Well, here is the finished grip. I've done what I can, seeing as it is my first time doing 3d modelling I think i'm doing ok.

ka5b.jpg

To get any decent looking model I would have though they'd give us more breathing room. I'm not finished yet and my model's at 43k on faces alone. I don't want to have to scrap it because I've put a lot of work into it.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Well, here is the finished grip. I've done what I can, seeing as it is my first time doing 3d modelling I think i'm doing ok.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1271/ka5b.jpg

First off, it's 32768 vertices/points (corner of a polygon) as the hard limit with directX (I belive that was DX9, dunno what DX11 is doing now, I think it's limitless). The engine loads something like 19000 triangles though (according to vespa).

Anyway, just remember how people are going to be viewing the model, You don't need to have 3000 poly on a muzzle break when no one will be looking at it, etc

You can keep going with a high poly one you currently have but your're going to have to create a lower poly model for use in game, for example both of these are sub 20k poly:

000AgsK.jpg

jdiaA9c.jpg

Admittedly this guy's worked for infinity ward and Crytek but you get the idea...

Just an example of something to bring down the detail, here's the original (look at the embossed 'Aimpoint' on the magnifier)

Example Uno

and here is after it's been baked, normaled, textured, etc. Again, note the text

Example Duo

Edited by Scarecrow398

And how would I do that, Start all over again, I'm new to it and I don't want to just scrap what I have.

You can try to create a bump map, I know in 3ds max you can create a low poly model then use the bump tool and place the high poly model over the low and create a map out of it. (I haven't been very successful in doing so but many others have.) Just look for YouTube tutorials on bump mapping.

Honestly, it might be a little ambitious to try and release the model that you are learning modeling on. You don't seem to know a lot about the process yet and you still need to unwrap and texture the model.

Give me a bit and I will link some tutorials and stuff.

Edit: Tutorial stuff

Youtube playlist, full weapon creation tutorial by Millenia:

Tutorials by Racer445: http://cg.tutsplus.com/author/evan-racer445/

Some good resources: http://wiki.polycount.com/

http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

There's more stuff but I got lazy. This should get you headed in the right direction.

Edited by roshnak

You can try to create a bump map, I know in 3ds max you can create a low poly model then use the bump tool and place the high poly model over the low and create a map out of it. (I haven't been very successful in doing so but many others have.) Just look for YouTube tutorials on bump mapping.

you mean normal's map. And there is no "bump tool" in 3ds max.

---------- Post added at 03:14 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

And how would I do that, Start all over again, I'm new to it and I don't want to just scrap what I have.

You don't need to scrap it, you need to understand how you can use textures to optimized polygon count towards area that you need to see.

As previously said, you might want to get this right for the purpose of getting this right and learning a process rather than releasing it for an audience (one does not deny the other though).