Sign in to follow this  
dnk

[SUGGESTION] Seasonal Foliage

Basic idea is this: You have plant models, and each model has certain segments that can be tagged as "seasonal". These can have their textures altered based on the date in-game (at mission start). So, when the engine loads up the object textures, it checks to see if each model has such tagged segments, then loads the specific textures per the date. This way, you can have the same vegetation models, but have them look different throughout the year. Could also include groundclutter.

It would be nice...

This is a cool idea, but wouldn't it bloat up the install with basically triple the amount of foliage textures? There's got to be a better way. I guess you could experiment with Minecraft's biome shading model for seasonal foliage. I have no idea if that would look good at higher res.

Plants.pbo is 300MB. It might be 1GB with this? What's that, a 7% disk size increase. Worth it.

I think the bigger problem would be the transition between two seasons.

Perhaps a software side solution depending on the foliage class (seasonal or non seasonal), change of foliage size (from spring to summer), color change of foliage texture (from summer to autumn), reducing foliage amount (autumn to winter).

The effect might be additionally supported by specific filters like: more bloom in spring, more red glow in summer and a blue filter for winter.

Also in winter raindrops could be changed with snowflakes.

The last 2 points could be already possible by scripting. Perhaps also some modules exist already?