jazar

Canton-Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty?

I would like to start off with saying that I am pretty impressed with the campaign as it is so far. However the CSAT faction makes me scratch my head. What is the Canton-Protocol? Is it something like a new Warsaw Pact, but between Iran and China or something of that nature? Just interested, I don't lose sleep thinking about this or anything :)

I would like to start off with saying that I am pretty impressed with the campaign as it is so far. However the CSAT faction makes me scratch my head. What is the Canton-Protocol? Is it something like a new Warsaw Pact, but between Iran and China or something of that nature? Just interested, I don't lose sleep thinking about this or anything :)

Canton would suggest China. In reality, there's already a "new" Warsaw Pact. It's called the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, and is primarily a political, military, and economic alliance between Russia and China, as well as Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. Afghanistan, Iran, India, Mongolia, and Pakistan have observer status. Turkey is trying to become a member.

But if CSAT is a military alliance between several countries like China, Iran and so on, shouldn't at least some of these alien dudes look differently? NATO has caucasian, asian and black men but CSAT just comes with a few middle eastern looking guys. Just a random thought on this faction. oO

No, because the CSAT faction in the game is from one of those middle-eastern countries, Iran in the original story. Just because a military force is part of a multi-national alliance, it doesn't mean that force includes a bunch of dudes from every country in that alliance. Iran is part of CSAT. Iran's military was deployed to Altis. Other member states will have their militaries deployed in their own areas of responsibility.

The NATO faction has caucasian, asian and black men because they're the US Army, which is comprised of US citizens, many of whom are of various ethnic backgrounds. It's not supposed to be a bunch of random guys from other countries.

• Like 1

But if CSAT is a military alliance between several countries like China, Iran and so on, shouldn't at least some of these alien dudes look differently? NATO has caucasian, asian and black men but CSAT just comes with a few middle eastern looking guys. Just a random thought on this faction. oO

That's because they originally were going to be Iran. And really they still are. But just like NATO is really just the US soldiers, CSAT is really just Iran here.

Hm, that's as good as any explanation I guess. But I have to say that I liked Arma 2's Factions more. Maybe just because there were 5 (or more with DLCs) of them; or maybe because the different groups offered more variety in making up a story. And I'm totally dissappointed with the little selection of civilians so far. Anyway, I hope they will add some more factions in the future and/or develop the resistance guys further.

But coming back to CSAT: last time I checked there were just three different iranian faces available. That's quite funny. Fancy alien armour and all looking the same; could be Clone Wars. :D

But coming back to CSAT: last time I checked there were just three different iranian faces available. That's quite funny. Fancy alien armour and all looking the same; could be Clone Wars. :D

Just imaging them as stormtroopers of ArmA Universe...

Canton would suggest China. In reality, there's already a "new" Warsaw Pact. It's called the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, and is primarily a political, military, and economic alliance between Russia and China, as well as Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. Afghanistan, Iran, India, Mongolia, and Pakistan have observer status. Turkey is trying to become a member.

I think it is little wrong to call SCO as "new Warsaw Pact". There are already exist another military alliance, Collective Security Treaty Organization aka CSTO including Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan, and Afghanistan, Serbia have observer status. Ukraine and Iran possibly will join this union or be affiliated members. Despite the fact that it is useless, it still closer to Warsaw Pact.

Hey, i'm a new to ArmA 3 and late to this thread, but I think i have a possible theory on to who CSAT are. I think CSAT are derived from BRICS, the economic alliance between Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. This checks off the fact it has Canton in the name, as well as it mentions on the wiki that CSAT is made up of Asian (Russia, India, China) South American (Brazil) and North African countries. Perhaps in this universe Iran has it's sanctions taken off and it's able to becomes part of BRIICS. Under the same sort of guise of NATO, BRIICS decided to have it's own military alliance. In the later years of CSAT forming, Syria, and possibly some North African countries like Libya also join. So yeah, I think CSAT is made up of BRIICS and the addition of Syria and some north African countries like Libya

On 6/29/2018 at 5:54 AM, Velocichap said:

Hey, i'm a new to ArmA 3 and late to this thread, but I think i have a possible theory on to who CSAT are. I think CSAT are derived from BRICS, the economic alliance between Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. This checks off the fact it has Canton in the name, as well as it mentions on the wiki that CSAT is made up of Asian (Russia, India, China) South American (Brazil) and North African countries. Perhaps in this universe Iran has it's sanctions taken off and it's able to becomes part of BRIICS. Under the same sort of guise of NATO, BRIICS decided to have it's own military alliance. In the later years of CSAT forming, Syria, and possibly some North African countries like Libya also join. So yeah, I think CSAT is made up of BRIICS and the addition of Syria and some north African countries like Libya

Russia isn't a part of CSAT. They even said it in one of the AAN news videos. 

holy necro post