Sign in to follow this  
zodd

cutRSC image always transparent

Gday all,

I have encountered an issue with cutRSC. I have an image with no transparency (just a white background) - when I use it with cutRSC it works as expected

ie:

with:

colorText[] = {1, 1, 1,1};

it is a solid image.

with:

colorText[] = {1, 1, 1,0.5};

it is semi transparent.

Ok - all good so far. A mate removed the white background and replaced it with a transparent background.

Looks perfect previewing it and in TexView...

But in Arma (using same test values)

with:

colorText[] = {1, 1, 1,1};

it is semi transparent.

with:

colorText[] = {1, 1, 1,0.5};

it is almost invisible

I dont have much experience with image manipulation etc. The only thing I could think of was if there was a full transparent background layer that the image was on it may be making the image itself semi transparent but this is not the case - he told me he only made the white background part transparent.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or workarounds?

Displaying multiple images on top of each other is making it 'more solid' but still transparent (and looks like crap - loses a lot of the detail)

Much appreciated!

The image needs to be the appropriate size. ie; (512x512 1024x1024 256x256 128x128 64x64). Export it as a .png with Gimp. Open it up with texView. Leave it on RGBA, but use DXT5.

Edited by Iceman77

Texview settings are

RGBA

ARGB8888

Tried re saving using DXT5 but it would switch back to ARGB8888 when it had finished and no difference in game.

My sizes are a bit strange because I am trying to accurately depict mils in game - could this be causing it? (If so - why doesnt it have issues with a non transparent image?)

Thanks again for your help!!

You're images need to be squared. Save as a .png, open the image in texview. Use RGBA & DXT5 and save it as a .paa. You can set the picture control's width and height to dictate how big the image is. You also may want to tinker with style 0x30 + 0x800 to keep the images aspect ratio so that it doesn't "stretch".

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Also, to keep your .png's desired size, you can make the image what size you want and throw it (in the center) onto a slightly larger, but transparent and squared BG. Save as a png etc etc.

Edited by Iceman77

Fixed it perfectly - thanks heaps!

Now just need to get around the pre-loading and will be all good!

Now just need to get around the pre-loading and will be all good!

Preloading? Please elaborate.

From the other thread - images flickering.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170637-cutRSC-indefinite-duration-flickering-workaround&p=2587325#post2587325

I noticed there is only a flicker when a new image is loaded... trying to work out a way to load them all in the background so when they need to be displayed they are shown instantly... I am sure there is an elegant way to do it but I ditched my way in the end because it was too much of a hack I think

Is the initial text property of the picture control(s) set to #(argb,8,8,3)color(1,1,1,1)? That will cause a major white "flicker" of the image(s).

ie;

text = "#(argb,8,8,3)color(1,1,1,1)";

change any of those to:

text = "";

---------- Post added at 04:07 ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 ----------

Also you're using cutRsc again within a loop (from the above link). That will also cause a flicker.

Edited by Iceman77

I have changed it so it is called outside a loop (duration set to 99999) and only changes when needed. The flicker is still there - it occurs when a new image is displayed, but only the first time.

eg. start with image 1, switch to image 2 - there is a brief flicker (ie. no image displayed at all) as it switches. Switching back between image 1 and 2 there is no flicker (I assume as they are already loaded). Switching to image 3 results in a flicker, but again, only for the first load.

If I cycle through all the images initially, then it works fine with no flicker as I change images - again I assume this is because they have all been used previously (loaded into memory somewhere?)

On 12/27/2013 at 8:19 PM, iceman77 said:

You're images need to be squared. Save as a .png, open the image in texview. Use RGBA & DXT5 and save it as a .paa. You can set the picture control's width and height to dictate how big the image is. You also may want to tinker with style 0x30 + 0x800 to keep the images aspect ratio so that it doesn't "stretch".

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Also, to keep your .png's desired size, you can make the image what size you want and throw it (in the center) onto a slightly larger, but transparent and squared BG. Save as a png etc etc.

I wonder if you can help me, I have .paa file that works perfectly fine in arma 2. However when I use it in arma 3 as RscActiveText same as I do in arma 2, it doesn't show the image. I am trying to use this image as a button which is why I use RscActiveText. 

It would appear that arma 3 does not support RGBA or at least in my case this is what is happening? If i convert Png-24bit to .paa it works however this format does not save background transparency . When I load a small .jpg it also works. since my image is not square i tried your suggestion i made sure the image had a squared background that is transparent but even then it wont show. I am kind of out of ideas and googled my way here.

EDIT: The image appears to be there, but vastly washed can barely be seen. 

On 5/4/2017 at 10:27 PM, Greatman said:

I wonder if you can help me, I have .paa file that works perfectly fine in arma 2. However when I use it in arma 3 as RscActiveText same as I do in arma 2, it doesn't show the image. I am trying to use this image as a button which is why I use RscActiveText. 

It would appear that arma 3 does not support RGBA or at least in my case this is what is happening? If i convert Png-24bit to .paa it works however this format does not save background transparency . When I load a small .jpg it also works. since my image is not square i tried your suggestion i made sure the image had a squared background that is transparent but even then it wont show. I am kind of out of ideas and googled my way here.

EDIT: The image appears to be there, but vastly washed can barely be seen. 

I'm having the exact same problem now.. can't seem to convert my image to DX5 if that's the problem. I've been at it going on 6 hours now trying to figure out this stupid problem.

@semedar Hey bub. Arma 3 's TexView and the Image2Paa converter program work with 8 bit RGBA .png images. These have an alpha (transparency) layer. I use GiMP to save them in the appropriate format. Good luck!