Sign in to follow this  
meatball

MultiCore/Threading a Mission?

I've been trying to make my missions more efficient, but have been running up against a bottleneck of all triggers, functions, scrips and AI control getting shoved into a single core of a CPU. Even with a i5-3570K and the -cpuCores=4 switch, Core 0 just loads up to 100% while my other cores do next to nothing.

Other than reconfiguring my missions to have headless client support, is there any way to force scripts, functions, etc., to use different cores or is that pretty much a limitation of the engine that can't be shortcut any other way?

Welcome to the world of Arma. Yes, we know that only a single core is used. Engine limitation, that I wish they could solve!

Try to realise your scripts with FSM.

I could be wrong but I think FSMs actually use another thread because they are executed on a seperate VM

EVen though you put -cpucount=4 it makes no difference. I have a dedi server and I watch all the cores ... only ONE is ever used. So there is NO multicore support.

EVen though you put -cpucount=4 it makes no difference. I have a dedi server and I watch all the cores ... only ONE is ever used. So there is NO multicore support.

How do you start your server ???

Mine si working on three core because core 0 is reserved for windows.

Edited by Mariodu62

Yep, same here. I know Arma can spawn multiple threads and use other cores for other functions like file/geometry loads (neither of which has much of an impact on a server at all once the mission is loaded), but scripting is single threaded/cored, so all of your scripts get crammed into a single core along with AI control, triggers, etc.

-cpucount=X doesnt make much sense since if you dont use, it already defaults to your number of processors so its useless on most cases. On the other side, its not totally true that Arma its totally singlecore, but its true that some threads can max out a processor( usually IA/logic) and make server fps go down while the %procesor usage its low.

The only current way to get a bit of better multicore support its to use Headless Client to make it handle the IA, with the advantage that it can be another PC, but it wont help much on PvP games without AI

I have a friend who's done some experimenting using the task manager, I'm not sure if it works but it seems like it does; once you have the server/game running open up task manager and go into process, once there find the server/game and right click and select play around with affinity/priority options.