Drongo69

Drongos Artillery (an advanced artillery system)

First post updated with version 0.24. Changelog:

• Added a check to \Dialog\Transmit.sqf to prevent a battery from being given multiple fire missions at the same time (possible cause of the "drifting rounds" bug)

@Legolasindar

I think you uploaded the wrong mission, it doesn't seem to have any artillery in it.

@Brenton

First Fire mission never works.
It does, but it takes several minutes for the first rounds to arrive. When testing, use the No Delay module. I assume that what you were doing was calling a mission and then after a minute or so, calling a new mission, which confused the arty AI and caused the drifting rounds. Try the same mission again with the latest version and the No Delay module and let me know how it goes.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

@Legolasindar

I think you uploaded the wrong mission, it doesn't seem to have any artillery in it.

I check the mission and is OK, have one soldier and one M5. If you see the mission.sqm you can see the "B_MBT_01_mlrs_F" unit.

@Brenton

It does, but it takes several minutes for the first rounds to arrive. When testing, use the No Delay module. I assume that what you were doing was calling a mission and then after a minute or so, calling a new mission, which confused the arty AI and caused the drifting rounds. Try the same mission again with the latest version and the No Delay module and let me know how it goes.

I will try again when I get home.

The reason I assume the first fire mission was not working was the lack of response. I would submit the fire mission and would receive no indication that it was received. This was with me standing right next to the guns so I could keep an eye on them.

The second fire mission I would get a response right away and then wait for the rounds to be fired.

@Legolasindar

The mission you linked to above is just 13 guys standing around a VAS crate.

Hi,

Just wondering if the mod is broken with the latest patch (1.10)?

It doesn't seem to be working in my mission anymore. :(

Thanks ;)

It worked fine for me, after okaying the "error" message I had no issues with it.

Ok, I am officially a moron...

I haven't played it in about a week and forgot that I have to use the radio in the gear menu to activate it. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...lol

So I can confirm too that it still works.

Sorry for the confusion... :-)

First post updated with the latest version (v0.25). Changelog:

• Made tube detection less reliant on the display name (which causes errors with non-English versions)
  • Fixed dialog errors (listScrollBar, colorFocused, colorBackGroundFocused not defined)

@Legolasindar

Please let me know if this fixed your problem.

I don't have much time at the moment, so I was unable to test this release to much. Please post any bugs.

I'm going to have to test v25 to be sure, but v24 suffered from an elevation problem. Simply put, it ignored what I put in the elevation field and simply aimed at the 0 elevation point. It would also not remember an elevation value when I reopened the dialog. This was especially bad with targets at high altitude or when doing low angle shots.

I also had a case with an airburst (155mm HE) some 10-20m right above a group of infantry (inside the wedge formation) that left them all standing.

FWIW I have yet to test with no other mods installed.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I have a problem, just tried this mod and my artillery seems to fire to whatever the South West edge of the map is... Tried numerous times even swopped my coords around.

I just did a fire mission where the rounds were going in all sorts of directions (in debug mode)...

I run Arma 3 1.10

So confused :confused:

Edited by LowFlyZone
further testing results

@ LowFlyZone

That usually means the input coordinates are incorrect. Can you please post a screenshot showing your desired target and tell me the coordinates you are inputting?

@MaHuJa

I'll take a look at these problems.

Thanks for your response. I figured out where I went wrong, I had the zero's leading the grid ref, not trailing it eg: 0184 >> 1840

I thought I was correct because if you omit the zero's it automatically adds them as leading zero's instead of the other way round.

[EDIT] After some practice I can confirm what MaHuJa said, arty seems to ignore elevation.

Other than that I'm loving the concept, BluFor radio from GK is cool, love that series. Would be nice to have more of a speach when calling the arty tho, instead of just "message to observer". I'm sure there's some more voice that can be cut from a scene somewhere in that series! ;)

Edited by LowFlyZone
feedback

Hey this is an awesome mod. As a FO and a JTAC I find it a lot of fun. Anyway you can get the option of doing polar coordinates for calling in fire? That would be awesome. Also if there is a way to have the direction (bearing) from the observer to the target when calling in corrections? i.e. If I'm looking at the target from bearing 090 it will be different corrections than if someone was correcting from bearing 270. Thanks!

Funny JFO doesn't grant you "JTAC" status. It gives you the ability, but not the direct clearance for munition dropping. As a retired JFO it just gets under my skin that everybody uses the "JTAC" when they're Army that's all.

But to stay on topic it seems direction is already computed rather than manually inputted in order to adjust rounds.

EricJ, I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me or not, but I assure you that I was a Canadian Forward Observation Officer/Forward Air Controller (FOO/FAC) or JTAC. Except we ground pound with the infantry in the fight and I confirm that I terminally controlled aircraft in Afghanistan multiple times.

It actually was as I thought you were American. I used to be a US Army JFO and former Company FSNCO with an Afghanistan tour under my belt, so sorry about that man. I just get riled as unfortunately we don't have the same freedom as most JTACs have.

I have started reconfigging the BIS arty vehicles, weapons and ammo. I will be looking at reducing the config-based "random" inaccuracy. I will also look at trying to implement realistic damage values, white phosphorous and chemical warheads. Also, if any mod-makers out there want their artillery units supported by this system, please send me a PM.

Now that's a plan, can't wait :)

I've done a quick search but came up empty handed, does anyone know if a M777 unit mod exists for Arma 3?