Drongo69

Drongos Artillery (an advanced artillery system)

Drongo's Artillery brings realistic AI-controlled fire support to Arma 3 (SP and MP supported). It is heavily based on CoC Unified Artillery for OFP. It puts AI-controlled artillery batteries under player control. Skill is both required and rewarded by the system. The system strikes a balance between realism and gameplay.

Drongo's artillery requires some degree of map-reading and the ability to call adjustments. The rounds are not spawned in, the artillery assets are given target coordinates, calculate the aimpoint based on various factors and fire real shells. The buggy doArtilleryFire command is not used, so it is possible to select both high and low angle fire.

Each side is partially voiced. NATO features edited lines from Generation Kill, REDFOR and INDFOR feature edited sound files from Arma 3. The default BIS artillery assets (and 3rd party addons that inherit from them) are supported. Simply place them on the map and they will be detected and available to the appropriate side. Arma 3's default radio, ACRE radios and Task Force Arrowhead radios are all supported by default (others can be added).

The system gives you control over aimpoint, warhead types, rounds to fire, high/low angle, sheafs (circular or box), groundburst/airburst/mixed and airburst height. After inputting the aimpoint, it is usually necessary to fire spotting rounds and adjust the fall of shot. Once the spotting rounds are on target, the spotter can call fire for effect, or store the mission for later use (with a reduced delay). Typically, it will take 60-90 seconds for the first shell to land (though this can be increased by using the "Realistic Delay" module).

The are modules for no delay, realistic delays, no initial error, disallow mapclicking for target input (force manual entry) and debugging (text, markers and smoke trails for shells).

For a more detailed explanation, please read the readme.

Aimpoint.jpg
Assets.jpg
Control.jpg
DTAShooting.jpg

Here is a video by Ericj of the system in action:

Another by MrBurns:

Requires CBA.
Not required, by recommended: Tao's folding map

BE SURE TO READ THE README.

Known Bugs

• An artillery asset that is attacked and takes losses may cause script errors
  • Laser-guided and self-guided shells somtimes hit beside the target

Future plans

• White phosphorous
  • Chemical/nuke warheads
  • More voice sets for different languages/nationalities

Big thanks to the following people:
CoC: Unified Artillery for OFP, the system this is based upon.
Drongo: Development and scripting.
Chops: Testing.
Zodd: Airburst and shrapnel scripts, testing.
D.Smithy: Invaluable real-world artillery knowledge, testing.
Rydygier: Box sheaf script.
Muzzleflash: Circular sheaf script.
Kawa: Localization code, French localization
Thanks for MaHuJa and BlackAlpha of tier1ops.eu for writing code to prevent the "rounds drifting to the north" bug
Big thanks to Coding for showing me how to use the real-world formula to calculate the correct arc based on the magazine and weapon type.
Thanks to Vernei and Strategic Outcomes http://www.soclan.co.uk/ for helping with MP testing.

Check out Coding's Artillery Computer for more artillery improvements.

• Like 2

Nice work, now the only thing is the map should be able to be accessed when inputting coordinates but still I gave it a test shot.

And it's great for point hits with it but you need to have direction (in mils) in order to adjust a round effectively or you'll ping pong around the whole area...

Edited by EricJ

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I'd also recommend a scroll action rather than the Inventory screen, but it's nice :)

And you should implement 8-digit to 10-digit grids as well.

Edited by EricJ

@EricJ

The map problem is most easily solved by using Tao's folding map (now added to the first post). Regarding map grids, I am currently following the system used by Arma maps. For most people I think 136.5 is easier to understand than 13650. As for the scroll action, I detest the ancient Arma/OFP menu system, and I couldn't be bothered tracking addaction/removeaction. So the current system will stay for now. I may consider making a dedicated key which can be changed by a userconfig.

@Foxhound

Thanks for the mirror.

@MindLLeX

I have no idea. I haven't knowingly done anything to suppress the effect. The MLRS is the least-tested part of the system. If you fire it by other methods, does the trail show?

@Drongo69 oh sorry bud i fixed it, All in arma was screwing with Blastcore. Is there a way to make higher mlrs firerate?

I think that smoke trail issue is BIS related.

Also, Right Add Left Subtract. In the adjustment field it's actually reversed, where a "200" makes a left correction, and a right correction is "-200". It should be reversed as well. Check out the 6-30 or the newer FM 3-09.30.

Overall as a former JFO it's a real good program, working Takistan training with it. I"m trying to see how the rounds act on the mountains but I'll update you anyway.

This. Is. Awesome! Love where this could be going, being an avid fan of CoC UA and artillery in general.

Some things i´ve noted down after first little playtest:

-having to reopen the dialogue after each "transmit" is a little tedious

-in the original CoC it wasn´t named "transmit" but "XMT" (iirc)

-optional 8-10 digit coords would be great! (RNR Paladin for ArmA2 had this, you could go easy weazy what the map says or full-on-realistic)

-optional grouping of assets would be nice to have (dont think this was even possible in CoC UA though) edit: readme says there is *g*

-plotting missions on specific time of day? i remember this from the original and it was awesome

-very easy to use, no humming obelisks, no gamelogics, thumbs up for usability!

Keep it up!

"Mike Tango Oscar" :notify:

Edited by Mr Burns

Maybe it's me or rounds aren't adjusting, as whenever I adjust a round, it sends a new fire mission and therefore the round doesn't move. ALso the ability to EOM would be great too but that's solved by releasing control of the vehicle.

@EricJ

I have had sporadic problems with adjustments. I think my maths is wrong. If there are any maths wizzes out there who can take a look at the code, please contact me.

Maybe it's me or rounds aren't adjusting, as whenever I adjust a round, it sends a new fire mission and therefore the round doesn't move.

Make sure that you click "Adjust" before clicking "Transmit". Also, what do you mean by EOM? End of mission?

@MrBurns

I'll try to streamline the UI. I guess at the least I could default back to the mission dialog after spotting rounds, and add a button to go back to the asset dialog. Or do you mean you would prefer a dedicated key? As for XMIT, I always assumed that was due to limited text space. It is easy enough to edit. Also, time on target should be possible in a future patch.

Also, for anyone in the know, why the preference for 8 or 10 digit coordinates? Is 6 digit unrealistic? Originally I was using 10 digit, but switched to 6 to be Arma map friendly.

Thanks for the feedback guys, your comments will make it much easier to improve the system.

Yes, EOM is End of Mission. I am making sure that I'm clicking Adjust Fire but the flow (currently is this) is that it starts a new mission, and therefore resets the whole location.

How it should work is:

Request fire mission

Fire mission processed and initial point plotted

Then the round is adjusted off of that initial point etc. until mission completion (whatever that may be)

I think that the flow of the mission is that you Request mission, grid is interfaced, etc. Then another window or the "Next" window would then control the adjustment, left/right, add/drop, up/down, and the rest of the controls for the mission. On that same pane should be an EOM button just in case.

6 digit grids get you within 100 meters of the target.

8 digit grids within ten meters of a target

10 digit grids within 1 meter.

Arma 3's default radio, ACRE radios and Task Force Arrowhead radios are all supported by default (others can be added).

I do one test, and with TFAR not work, the first seconds, with default radio remain in inventory, i can open assets menu, but when radio automatically change to AN/PRC 152, this not work, and show "No suitable radio". And CSAT with FADAK radio same problem.

But i can use this without TFAR, and this addon is very nice, i like +1

Edited by Legolasindar

Also confirmed, TFAR radios don't sync with the mod.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

A short clip I made earlier... nice work still

Also can confirm ACRE radios not syncing either.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Checked it out in Takistan and the Scorcher could be more accurate, as the gun crews during my tour were better than that, and they were firing M777 all the time. Even at near max distance they were getting on target all the time. The wind can push a round slightly but we're talking a 155mm round versus say.. a 60mm mortar, which would really push it around (I saw it happen one time, not cool) but getting used to the system and everything is working now. Too bad there's no Up/Down correction.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Also another thing the Message to Observer is sent only once once the initial call for fire is approved. So how it basically works is that the first round is fired and prior to the MTO is sent. Subsequent adjustments, etc. do not repeat the MTO.

And the reason I push the EOM button is that the FO, not the tubes direct the observed mission, so once FFE is complete, the mission isn't terminated until the FO is satisfied that the mission is complete. i.e. effects were on target, etc.

Edited by EricJ

When I added ACRE and TFAR, I just used the classnames from their documentation, I don't use either of these systems myself. I'll double-check the classnames, see what I've missed.

@EricJ

Thanks for the video, I'll add that to the first post. One thing I noted, you clicked the Adjust button before entering the values, it should be enter the values then click the button. I'll rename it to "Send Adjustments" or something. It is difficult to know the correct terms and workflow, I've gotten advice from people from the US, UK and Aus and their is a fair bit of variety. Regarding accuracy, do you mean the initial error? The basic values are:

_errorSize = 50;
if (_distance < 1000) then {_initialError = false};
if (_initialError) then {
if (_distance > 5000) then {_errorSize = 100};
if (_distance > 10000) then {_errorSize = 150};
if (_distance > 15000) then {_errorSize = 200};

Any other inaccuracy is native to BIS stuff. It took me endless bloody hours to manually get all of the range data, as ten shells fires by one gun at the exact same aimpoint at medium to long range could scatter quite a bit. I'd end up using whatever value caused 50% or more of shots to land within 20-30 meters. This might be fixable at the config level.

Too bad there's no Up/Down correction.
Do you mean height or axis? The aimpoint height can be adjusted using the elevation field.
Also another thing the Message to Observer is sent only once once the initial call for fire is approved
Ah, OK, this should be easy to fix.
And the reason I push the EOM button is that the FO, not the tubes direct the observed mission, so once FFE is complete, the mission isn't terminated until the FO is satisfied that the mission is complete. i.e. effects were on target, etc.
Ah, understood. I'll take a look at how easy/hard this is to implement.

Here is a short list of stuff I'll fix for the next update:

End Of Mission button
Return to assets button
MTO only said once
Auto-enter adjustment

Thanks again for the feedback.

No problem, the more you play with it the more time I spend I sit there on the hill shooting :D

Deleted

Edited by EricJ

another vote for at least 8 digit grids!

if you talk to people about call for fire and sequence, jargon, etc. please ensure they are somewhat qualified. also, you will find at least a minor difference in different nations methodologies so you may have to do some fudging to make it 'friendly' for everyone. you may even find some differences between different types of forces within a single nation! I do believe the basics are pretty much the same everywhere though. I can help if you are looking for any assistance.

downloading now to give it a try, I loved CoC's systems.

Thank you for this!

8 digit coords please :)

I miss the humming obelisk lol

would you please make it available for ArmA2/OA, please?

Or would you recommend a similiar one in ArmA2/OA? THX!

Everytime I try to use this it always says that the mortars are out of range when they are obviously in range because I saw them engage targets on their own farther away. What am I doing wrong?

I'll switch to 8 figure grids for the next release, shouldn't be hard to do.

@Hiddenzone

I have never played Arma 2, so I won't be doing an Arma 2 version. You could try Zodd's arty though.

@OFPsince06

Make sure that you are entering the X and Y values as 3 digits each, for example: X: 123 Y: 654.

Hi Drongo

Nice addon really enjoying just wondering on how you got the rounds to airburst etc. Is this possible to do this in game (change the fuse type?) or has this not be implemented by BIS

@Seadog

Glad you are enjoying it. The airburst stuff is all Zodd's work, it is not BIS behaviour. A fired eventhandler is added to the firing piece, which then tracks the shell. When the shell is at the desired height, it is deleted, an explosion is scripted in and a script spawns shrapnel.