Sign in to follow this  
Gunter Severloh

Halo to Parachute landing realism

Hello Arma3 community!

Wanted to post a concern of mine that I have created a ticket for on the Arma3 Feedback Tracker.

Arma3 Feedback tracker Ticket (please vote!)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16665

About the subject in question, this is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIhry0kzlG8&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6qxLaikXbcF2U2WT3BiaYQ

I recorded of what happens when you Halo, and then from halo you pull your chute, and then the landing, this is currently

the default or vanilla animation that plays apon landing.

Apon Landing

After landing your player character immediately does a belly flop as if he has lost all control after the chute, from the belly flop he then proceeds

to grab his primary off his back and then ready it, then stand up and relax.

In this whole animation process which is roughly 5sec long you have no control over your character, so you go from halo which allows you to freefall fast or slow, and to

any position you want within the relative area of your fall, then with a parachute you can further determine where you wish to land.

I'm not really sure why this animation was implemented or added in the game but it serves no use nor is it realistic in terms

of what happens after landing when using a steerable parachute.

Videos

Here are 2 videos of halo to steerable parachute, which demonstrates by professionals I might add

what is actually done apon landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKn9khrXGY

cut to about 4:15 when hes about to land.

No belly flop? wtf lol ya right, with a steerable chute there should be no way for you to end up on your belly, even the physics, or the forces of wind and gravity

would dictate that the wind is still caught in your chute and still keeping you upright til you start pulling on your chute to fold it.

Another video from the Navy Seals

at 1.37 he is about to land on his feet. I can see here how fast this guy is moving, but he ends up running the landing off and gaining control of his chute.

At 2:10 another chutest lands. At 2:28 another lands perfectly on his feet.

===============

As you can see with a steerable parachute there should be no reason to be doing a belly flop if you have control over your decent, of course the

wind can effect how fast you land I would think but overall when you land your should have control immediately.

Another animation idea thats more realistic?

Maybe instead of a belly flop then standing up and being relaxed you could actually do an animation where

you grab your chute and or disconnect your chute from yourself.

The current belly flop is unacceptable, and a waste of time as said you have no control over your character,

you go from control of your decent to no control.

What do you guys think?

At least ending up prone is more realistic than standing from something like a rough landing or landing to fast.

But having this prone and stand up animation by default? Military soldier do not do that unless they screw up.

But you can add this to the long list of unrealistic things that need to be fixed.

Edited by ProGamer

Yes I agree, the thing is you have a steerable parachute, so you should be able like in the 2nd vid land on your feet.

If there were the option to land and then your character goes prone and then grabs his primary and readies it then fine, but as long as at that point I gain control of the character

and the character doesn't immediately standup.

The other side is 99% of the time in the mission my buddy and I always play is after a halo we want to move to cover right away after landing but the issues arises where

as said you have no control over your character after he lands for the next 5-6 secs while the animation is playing, i think your character should have control from start to finish.

Idk about anyone else but I hate games that play for you, its like playing a game only to watch a movie version in the game itself, thats not what I bought here.

As for the long list, let it be added, if nothing is said about the issue then it will never get looked at.

Hello all,

I was directed to this thread by my younger brother (the owner of this account) and all I can say is, oh my god, so much stupidity in this thread.

I still jump out of airplanes (both steerable and non-steerable chutes) and I used to jump for the national parachute team

and I am just stunned how you make such a conclusion when you watch two videos. Videos in which they don't carry gear non the less.

When you jump into a combat zone you are wearing a vest, helmet, weapon and most importantly a 30kg backpack.

No mather what parachute you use you will fall over, if not forward or backward, then it will be side ways, NO MATTER WHAT!

Let's assume the steerable parachute jumps, you jump, you open the chute and your backpack is released and hanging below you around 2-2.5m.

When you come in to land there are 2 possibilities, you go forward or backward or you come in side ways (by drifting or turning to late).

Forward/backward; Cool you come in with a lot of speed (which you do!), you touch the ground and start running, but suddenly, ow shit you are stopped by that 30kg backpack and guess what, you fall over.

sideways; same drill you come in to land and unless you have some amazing skill that you can stay upright when your gear and your chute are pulling you sideways, guess what?

You drop.

A last thing that could happen is that you come in a straight line from the sky. Unless you want to break every little bone in your legs and arms you better fall sideways.

Atleast do some proper research before making such a bold statement.

Considiring that I jumped for the national team (and oh boy we did gather some medals over the past years), I can tell you that you will NEVER be able to do that

when you are wearing gear. The only times I managed to stay up is landing perfectly into the wind, a straight and flat landing pad/zone, a steerable parachute and no-gear at all.

We could discuss if this animation should always be the same, but no mather what you think you will drop.

Thanks for your feedback, insights and your experience.

Sorry for not doing some in depth research but the amount of gear Im assuming that you would have is not simulated in the game, you only have a back pack that you carry

for your weaponry if that, and whatever gun and ammo you chose, the whole parachute thing is magically appearing out of your back, so nothing here/ingame is realistic portrayal of how it should be.

So before you start calling this whole discussion stupid, or its ideas which i am open to btw do realize we are not in the real world here, we are playing a game that does not simulate

what you do with all gear with any intent of being immersive.

The point of my argument is that you lose control of your character apon landing, you have control when you halo, you have control when you parachute, then you land and now your sitting there watching a 5-6 sec animation, what happens when enemies find me right when i land and decide to start shooting at me, i then got to wait for this animation to be over before i can do anything.

Like i also said if one were to land and even do the belly flop but then he pulled his primary from his back but was ready to go then fine, but as said give control back to the character.

If the game would better simulate wind and weight maybe the reality of parachuting would be more immersive or realistic but its not.

At one point I really dont care, if I can get back to fighting and or moving to a position I want right after landing then thats what I want, its gamey but then if we want

to be realistic then change the weight, and add all the gear so that its realistically portrayed. So with your experience surely you could have better ideas on how the game could better portray the landing aspect, or even the parachuting itself, as while you are parachuteing your character really has no wait, you can float 10 feet from the ground for about 5 seconds if you wanted, so even the parachute aspect

theres just not enough weight.

Hello...I've been a long time friend of Gunter (8 years) and we've played ArmA a lot. I haven't been here in a very long time but after he directed me to read this I just had to put in my 2¢ about this.

Why do a belly flop or go prone at all!? Especially when you float down at the slowest possible and land straight on your feet? Coming down fast will result in injury or maybe death is acceptable (or getting shot upon landing or even in the air for that matter) but doing as mentioned above or performing the actions that the OP is pointing out is absurd.

Hello all

He's talking about swooping (sometimes called a landing flare) and that's what he demonstrates in the video. No backpack, no drop-bag. Even without doing any kind of technique to soften the landing, the animation itself is poor for a parachute landing fall (or "controlled crash") because you 'belly flop' as the guy said above me, and that would be crazy. You're limiting by variables by saying "If you wear this, and that" which is fair enough but gear can be taken off in this game, making that comment negligible unless if implemented it does not perform to realistic standards, but I doubt they'll make a change about that. Rewatch the ArmA video, see the animation for yourself and comment on it.

I guess the easiest (not the best, but the easiest) solution would be to not automatically transition to standing. that would already help a lot. also the glitching on the ground is a bit over the top. i understand what BI is trying to achieve, but it makes parachuting way more clunky than it should be, and not in the "for the sake of realism" (wich i like btw.) way but in the "i landed straight going forward for under 1km/h with no wind at all so why the hell am i dragged 50 meters across in a random direction?" way wich i do not like.

Ghost who created Enemy Assault for Arma3:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150173-Ghost-Missions

Created a script which allows you to halo, from halo of course you can parachute, which Encrypted_God and myself play regularly, the video I recorded is using this script but...

The script just allows you to do halo, so everything is Arma3 vanilla halo and parachute system.

Recently though Ghost updated his mission and this script which you can get there:

ghst_halo.sqf

He has it where if you land good you will eject out of the parachute apon landing, its very well blended and its solves my issue for what my buddy and I want,

however the vanilla game still stands as it is, you will still do a belly flop and then standup casually or relaxed.

I will record a video over the weekend to demonstrate what Ghost has done with his updated version of his script, the halo is the same, but the landing aspect changed.

Everything about ARMA's animations seems clunky, and we cant control anything.

We should be able to do some movements while doing things, when i think about it we are very often out of control and things "queues" so we can do anything for a while.

They really need to clean up a lot with that.

Also, parachutes could stay on the ground after a landing, and it can be hidden. :p

We should be able to do some movements while doing things, when i think about it we are very often out of control and things "queues" so we can do anything for a while.

Also, parachutes could stay on the ground after a landing, and it can be hidden. :p

Yes but I would rather not have things that are realistic changed because they were considered "clunky" by a few people. The whole lets make it less clunky philosophy made sniper rifles spin around like pistols in Arma 3 because inertia got removed, so I'd rather we try to stop things like that from happening.

Edited by ProGamer

Yes but I would rather not have things that are realistic changed because they were considered "clunky" by a few people. The whole lets make it less clunky philosophy made sniper rifles spin around like pistols in Arma 3 because inertia got removed, so I'd rather we try to stop things like that from happening.

I kinda talking about how many movements are forced, for example, if we press the vaulting button, we can cancel out of it before its done, and so on.

Even that we can use our weapons while in vehicles and sitting on with helicopters are pretty dumb.

There's probably a better way to put this, but it feels like animations drive actions in Arma, as opposed to actions driving the animations. It's really awkward and clunky and I had hoped that it would change with Arma 3 and the announcement about a new animation system but it's just as bad as ever.