Sign in to follow this  
disco.modder

ARMA 3 - Dropped out features

Ive been wondering about this ever since the devs said that they had made big changes that affected the outcome of the game, like dropping out content and features.

So, what has really been dropped out since A3 was first imagined?

---

Also a Happy Merry Christmas to everybody!

Not much really. But I do believe that they stated ArmA 3 would use the Take On Helicopters flight model, but I haven't yet seen that.

I can't recall anything else that was told would be in the final game and then "dropped".

Not much really.

lol

-F-35

-MV-22

-Various Patria AMV variants (NEMO mortar version, etc...)

-Uparmored M2A1 slammer with commander machine gun

-The Astute class submarine

-XM-25

-Kel-tec KSG

-Flash hiders/amplifiers

-Railguns

-Many alternate textures for vehicles and weapons. (The opfor L-159 for example)

-Women in bikinis

-etc...

And thats not even including any of the cut features from that HUGE list of confirmed features that BI released when they announced Arma 3. (Which seems to have been erased from the internet...) Features like the 3d-editor, ToH flight model (not sure about this one), and an improved medical system.

lol

-F-35

-MV-22

-Various Patria AMV variants (NEMO mortar version, etc...)

-Uparmored M2A1 slammer with commander machine gun

-The Astute class submarine

-XM-25

-Kel-tec KSG

-Flash hiders/amplifiers

-Railguns

-Many alternate textures for vehicles and weapons. (The opfor L-159 for example)

-Women in bikinis

-etc...

And thats not even including any of the cut features from that HUGE list of confirmed features that BI released when they announced Arma 3. (Which seems to have been erased from the internet...) Features like the 3d-editor, ToH flight model (not sure about this one), and an improved medical system.

I recall one of the developers stating that the F35 was only used for testing purposes and was never intended to be in the final game. I also remember that the railguns were removed because everyone was complaining about them even being in the game.

I never remember a "confirmed features" list ever being released.

I know some things were changed out due to political pressure as well.

Edited by Nicholas

Yes, i'm more interested in what could be released in the future than what was ever planned or supposedly removed...unless we need another ranting topic.

I never remember a "confirmed features" list ever being released.

On one of the early iterations of the Arma 3 website, there was section that listed new features for Arma 3 which had things like Physx, render to texture, and the 3d-editor.

Hence how this thread got its start...

Yes, i'm more interested in what could be released in the future

Well, I'm hoping that most of the stuff on that list I made will be released at some point. I know Dwarden said something about possibly getting the uparmored M2A1 Slammer released some time in the near future.

I'm really curious about the reasons why so much content was cut from the final release. Perhaps that's a question worthy of a separate thread...

Edited by Ballistic09

On one of the early iterations of the Arma 3 website, there was section that listed new features for Arma 3 which had things like Physx, render to texture, and the 3d-editor.

Hence how this thread got its start...

They never said there was going to be a 3D editor. That "confirmed features" thread is only a fan thread full of nothing but speculation, none of which was officially confirmed.

You mean this list? This one is from June 2012.

Features

Military Sandbox

Defeat your enemy on a richly detailed battlefield modelled from real-life geographic data – stretching over 320 km2 of Aegean island terrain.

Deadly Weapons & Vehicles

Engage in an unsurpassed military combat experience: master a diverse range of authentically simulated aircraft, vehicles and ships; choose your gear, customize your weapon, step up to the war.

Revamped Engine

Navigate the battlefield with fluid new animations; feel the devastating power of combat with the upgraded sound engine, new ragdoll simulation and PhysXâ„¢-supported vehicles.

Solo Campaign

Evolve from hunted prey to military commander in the varied, gameplay-driven, singleplayer campaign.

Online Warfare

Pick a side, form a squad and team up against your enemy in massive competitive and co-operative battles on multi-platform dedicated servers.

Content Creation

Design your own missions, campaigns and scenarios with the powerful mission editor; join

our massive community and share them for others to play.

Set in a massive military sandbox – with a huge variety of vehicles and weapons – together with major improvements to lighting, sounds and animations in a brand new version of the Real Virtuality™ engine, Arma 3 sends players to war in the gameplay-driven solo campaign and multiplayer game modes.

With limitless opportunities for content creation and a passionate community, the PC’s premier military shooter is back. Arma 3 – This Is War

This list is from October 2011

Features

Single-Player Campaign

Evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in an open-ended & story-driven campaign.

Vehicles & Weapons

Control a multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with accurate simulation, shoot anything from pistols to sophisticated weapon platforms.

Customizable Soldier Load

Choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get loaded up.

Physical simulation & improved animations

Take advantage of PhysXâ„¢ supporting vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and a revamped animation system.

Rich & authentic environment

Explore an unsurpassed modern ground combat experience set on an authentic Mediterranean island modeled from real-life geographic data.

Multiplayer Gameplay

Challenge both cooperative & competitive scenarios with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

Completely Extensible & Moddable

Design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.

Do we have to have another thread like this? Remember the last one? BI became less open because of that.

I think the submarine got shelved because they didn't get the AI to walk/work underwater.

I pity the the fact that lots of A2 content is absent (female civillians, agricultural vehicles, motorcycles). However, I think these will not be released till "adapt" (since that should re-introduce the roleplay element).

Do we have to have another thread like this? Remember the last one? BI became less open because of that.

Did they? I see 5 threads with posts from devs in them on the first page.

You really need to work on not making completely unsubstantiated statements.

-1.jpg

I was merely trying to get a friendly discussion going, and was never aware of such a thread being started in the past.

---

lol

-Railguns!!!

Really? Heck that would've certainly given the game a bit of a twist.

Not suhre but i think they had an Random patrol module with a skirmish thing during the beta that worked really good. They changed it dunno why it just doesent work well like in beta...

You really need to work on not making completely unsubstantiated statements.

Seriously? If a dev says 'I like horses' this forums turns that into 'ArmA3 will have fully working, rideable horses, officially confirmed, fingers crossed, pinky swear'. It is ridiculous and it should stop.

EDIT: Though i dont really understand why they dont add some of the content that was already in just for the sake of having it. It was probably because it wasnt finished, all we saw was an ingame model, which doesnt mean that it is working properly in any way whatsoever.

In any case, the lack of female civilians annoys me, but it would be hard to argue that it was a promised feature.

Edited by NeMeSiS
though, though, though, though, yeah, that seems like a nice way to structure sentences...

f-35 was for testing pourposes only. Same as csat hunter camo, they were figuring out, what side uses what equipment, you could see panther having csat camo as well. railguns, no idea if that is railgun, but yeah, all varians of vehicles, will come sooner or later, i imagine for 3rd episode, or shortly before.

Arma3_screenshot_1202_10.jpg

That L159 had a really nice camo scheme, and that orange-y cockpit glass makes it even more badass. Wonder which side this was intended for?

Seriously? If a dev says 'I like horses' this forums turns that into 'ArmA3 will have fully working, rideable horses, officially confirmed, fingers crossed, pinky swear'. It is ridiculous and it should stop.

You nailed it, NeMeSiS. Not much more to add onto this.

That L159 had a really nice camo scheme, and that orange-y cockpit glass makes it even more badass. Wonder which side this was intended for?

That is a really nice camouflage scheme. Probably just testing or still undecided on the camouflage scheme. Just like NeMeSiS stated, just because we seen the ingame model, doesn't mean it is working properly or intended for the full release.

You must have quoted the wrong post; that one has nothing to do with content. It was directed at Progamer and his constant statements about the dev team, their feelings, opinions and intentions despite not actually being on the dev team. His statement that the last thread caused the development team to be "less open" is not one that can be proven unless someone on the dev team actually says so. Furthermore, there is little evidence that the devs have been less open in the first place, since the devs have been fairly active in engaging with the community on the forums recently, as evidenced by the 15 dev posts in threads on the first page, not including stickies.

In any case, the lack of female civilians annoys me, but it would be hard to argue that it was a promised feature.

While it may not be as strong as an out and out promise, it seems fairly reasonable to expect content that was shown in screenshots to show up in some form or other.

As for missing game content and features: we have no idea what was cut and what is still to come, as the dev team has not made any statements on that front. All we know is that more content is coming. The extent to which content will be added is unknown at this stage.

They never said there was going to be a 3D editor.

Yes they did, and, no, neither of those two lists are the one I'm referring to. The one I'm talking about was shown sometime between the game's announcement and E3 2011.

As I stated before, the list seems to have been wiped from existence by BI, but just so you know you're wrong,

EDIT: Though i dont really understand why they dont add some of the content that was already in just for the sake of having it. It was probably because it wasnt finished, all we saw was an ingame model, which doesnt mean that it is working properly in any way whatsoever.

Sadly this thread will continue to have people that believe their "horses were cut from the game after being told they were going to be added. And then complaining about it and making BI share less information with us.

They stopped telling us what was in the works and what was planned until it is for sure going to be added. Because of all the complainers and the last thread like this. Now nothing is confirmed or denied unless it is 99% likely to happen.

Sadly this thread will continue to have people that believe their "horses were cut from the game after being told they were going to be added. And then complaining about it and making BI share less information with us.

They stopped telling us what was in the works and what was planned until it is for sure going to be added. Because of all the complainers and the last thread like this. Now nothing is confirmed or denied unless it is 99% likely to happen.

And that's a bad thing? I would rather they be sure something is going to be in than promise the moon and base hype and anticipation on it, which sadly is what seems to have happened. It really doesn't matter if you know what's coming, as long as it's coming. If they introduce X feature, you or I knowing about it before it's actually released and functional means very little, except to hype us up for it. That doesn't mean that it's not nice that they share info, just that I would rather the info be more accurate than what we heard over the last couple of years about ArmA 3 versus what we got.

I figure a few of the things they cut were due to the "Law of Unintended Consequences". Like wearing any uniforms or attaching explosives to vehicles. Okay sure it makes it a bit more difficult to do some of the things I want to do in my missions, but it sure beats a sensationalist headline like "Game Developer makes suicide car bomber simulator".

I figure a few of the things they cut were due to the "Law of Unintended Consequences". Like wearing any uniforms or attaching explosives to vehicles. Okay sure it makes it a bit more difficult to do some of the things I want to do in my missions, but it sure beats a sensationalist headline like "Game Developer makes suicide car bomber simulator".

You can already make a car bomber simulator. Things were cut because they were scripted not engine based.

What wrong with wanting to simulate something close to the Taliban and American troops for players to play on? It was done all the time in Arma 2. I used car bombs and IEDs in Arma 2, so what? BI isn't an American company.

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 ----------

And that's a bad thing? I would rather they be sure something is going to be in than promise the moon and base hype and anticipation on it, which sadly is what seems to have happened. It really doesn't matter if you know what's coming, as long as it's coming. If they introduce X feature, you or I knowing about it before it's actually released and functional means very little, except to hype us up for it. That doesn't mean that it's not nice that they share info, just that I would rather the info be more accurate than what we heard over the last couple of years about ArmA 3 versus what we got.

It would be nice to know what they tried, did it work or didn't it. It was more open and personal rather than just being for hyping us up and increasing sales. The whole hyping up is from the newer generation of gamers were dev comments advertisements.

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

This thread will get us nowhere. And the Op should have searched for the original thread as a new one was not needed.

You can already make a car bomber simulator. Things were cut because they were scripted not engine based.

What wrong with wanting to simulate something close to the Taliban and American troops for players to play on? It was done all the time in Arma 2. I used car bombs and IEDs in Arma 2, so what? BI isn't an American company.

Technically you're right, but I'm talking about it being offered as a built-in feature, and a uninformed media outlet picking up on it and running with it without knowing the first thing about Arma, what it's about or what the community does with it.

it's still not the reason it got removed. there are way more controversial things than attaching explosives to vehicles. you can do so in bf3/4 too...