Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Old Man

[Release] Fire Support System

Fire Support System

by Grumpy Old Man

Updated to 1.03: February 23 2014

uWQ0J11.jpg

Tired of magically spawned artillery shells? Have you grown old and grumpy of instant, spot-on mouseclick artillery? Are you up for a change?

I might have just what you need if the above sounds familiar to you: Grumpy Old Mans Fire Support System!

This script package will give you AI Forward Observers ("FO") which will report spotted targets to the Fire Direction Centre ("FDC"),

who will then issue firing orders to subordinate artillery guns.

It's also possible to make a 3 man group carry static weapon backpacks and assemble them upon hostile contact.

Depending on the amount of artillery units, amount of batteries (multiple artillery guns close together) and what kind of targets have been reported by the FO

the FDC will choose the firing solution. It's also possible for the FDC to command time on target fire, if the values of the spotted targets is high enough.

Time on Target fire means that multiple artillery batteries will do coordinated fire,

so that all fired rounds reach the target at the same time.

This script package is meant to deliver an authentic approach at simulating Artillery firing procedures with mission making in mind.

Due to the nature of this script, artillery rounds can take up to 120 seconds and longer until they hit the target area,

depending on the distance between artillery and target. This script delivers artillery fire that's actually happening in the game,

if a FO has spotted enemies in Molos, and there's an operational MLRS Battery in Kavala you will be able to see the rockets flying all the way over to Molos.

Forward Observers will continue with their Waypoints once all spotted units are blown into pieces,

Artillery Units can be moved as you seem fit, when moving they won't be used by the FDC until they are stationary again.

Forward Observers will only report stationary targets for now, this will be changed in a future update.

Known Issues:

For now there's only HE ammunition used by the FDC.

On very rare occasions the "ARTY" units won't fire despite being in range. They will just take aim and revert to an idle state. This also happens without the usage of any scripts and seems to be a vanilla problem, mainly for the MLRS.

Need to implement a function to check for friendly units within a danger close zone.

Usage:

IMPORTANT: If you are using your own description.ext copy this line into it: #include "GOM_FSS.hpp"

Files: Copy the Content from the GOM_FSS folder to your mission directory.

If you want to use the Artillery System you need to place at least one Artillery unit, one Forward Observer and one Fire Direction Centre unit.

Fire Support System:

"FO" =

Forward Observer: The "FO" will report all targets to the "FDC".

For best efficiency use units with Rangefinders or Laser Designators as they tend to spot more reliable.

"FO"s won't call for a fire mission if the spotted unit is closer than 250m.

If all "FO" units get killed the "FDC" won't receive anymore targets.

"FDC" =

Fire Direction Centre: This unit will distribute targets among multiple batteries and do time on target fire if needed.

This is a passive role and therefore this unit should be placed away from battle.

If the "FDC" gets killed FO can't request fire missions.

"ARTY" =

This unit has to be of the support type artillery (currently supported units are the Scorcher, MLRS, Sochor and all static mortars)

If all "ARTY" units get killed the "FDC" won't be able to order fire missions.

Static Weapon Support:

1.: Place a group with at least 3 units.

2.: Call the script with: nul = [leadername,"weapontype"] execvm "\scripts\static.sqf";

leadername has to be the name of the group leader, if used from the units init field "this" is sufficient as leadername.

"weapontype" has to be one of the following:

"HMG" = Mk30 HMG .50

"HMGR" = Mk30 HMG .50 (raised)

"GMG" = Mk32 GMG 20mm

"GMGR" = MK32 GMG 20mm (raised)

"AT" = Static Titan Launcher (AT)

"AA" = Static Titan Launcher (AA)

"MORTAR" = Mk6 Mortar

"RANDOM" = Up for a surprise? Lets go wild!

Features:

Forward Observers will inform the Fire Direction Centre about spotted enemies, and add details regarding troop size, amount of vehicles/tanks and give a firm description about the location (open field, forest, nearby buildings, etc.)

The Fire Direction Centre will respond to those calls and decide how many guns or batteries should execute the firing command and how many rounds should be used.

After deciding about the firing solution the FDC will inform the FO about it and send a "Rounds complete" message after the artillery is done firing, and a "Splash" message ~3 seconds before impact.

The FO will then confirm the hit and will then call out how many targets were hit.

Both the FO and FDC are made with proper radio protocol in mind, with the exception that the FO will always call in for an immediate fire for effect instead of an adjust fire solution.

The Adjust fire solution will be implemented for use by player forward observers in a future update and maybe for AI FOs as well.

Static Weapon Support teams will assemble and disassemble static weapons on their own.

Only valid targets will make them set up their weapons, so they won't set up a mortar if there's only hostile aircraft around or AT weapons when there's only hostile infantry.

Note from the Author:

I made this package to give mission makers the possibility to have a way to integrate a somewhat authentic artillery system into their missions.

The Static Weapon Support was added because I always felt that BIS could have done more with static weapons and their according backpacks.

I hope this script package will find its place in one or another mission.

Future updates are planned and I'm glad for anyone who reports any issues with this script to me via PM.

Tips for using this script:

I really suggest that people use this script together with Blastcore A3 and JSRS2.0, for obvious reasons.

To avoid any possible quirks try to use artillery of the same types within one battery.

Place batteries at a distance of at least 1km from each other.

Because of its firepower the MLRS will most likely fire only one rocket,

no matter if it's the only artillery unit run by this script or if there's 120 of them and ammunition is plenty.

If you're using cannons like the Scorcher or the Sochor and

the distance to the target is above 6km the impact radius increases drastically.

Shells can impact anywhere around 300m around the target at such distances, so you better watch your head.

Updates:

Script is now able to run for multiple sides/factions so that each faction can now have its own FDC [current factions in game: NATO, CSAT, AAF, FIA west, FIA east, FIA ind]

Added 8 digit grid reference to FO and FDC radio messages and resolved some minor issues.

Added proper demo mission in .pbo and editor version.

Still working on player modules

I greatly appreciate that I'm allowed to use Bangabobs Live Feed Control (LFC) script to showcase my script package.

DOWNLOAD:

Edited by Grumpy Old Man

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Finally, a script that simulates realism of Arty for ArmA 3. Thanks, and congratulations on the release.

PM: Any thoughts on porting this to ArmA 2 as well?

I do not get this. So, does the Fire Support Team (3 man team you described above) fire upon targets independently from the direction or wishes of the human player?

Any thoughts on porting this to ArmA 2 as well?

I'm using a few arma 3 exclusive script commands, if I can find a workaround to bring those to arma 2 the implementation should be easy.

I do not get this. So, does the Fire Support Team (3 man team you described above) fire upon targets independently from the direction or wishes of the human player?

What exactly do you mean?

If a player is the leader of a HMG/GMG or Mortar support group (as found in the editor under groups->support infantry),

you can just tell them to drop one backpack and then assemble the weapon.

No need for my script package in that case.

Currently all features of this script package are meant to function autonomously without any control by the human player.

The static weapon support module allows AI to assemble and disassemble static weapons on their own, if they have spotted any valid targets (they won't set up an AT launcher if there's only hostile infantry around etc.)

Not quite sure how exactly I'm gonna implement it, there are plenty ways.

At best I'll try to keep it simple without any GUI cluttering the view.

Sounds really cool. Especially considering that BIS' native arty modules don't work for AI leaders (afaik). Bookmarked in my Arma folder. :)

Sounds really cool. Especially considering that BIS' native arty modules don't work for AI leaders (afaik). Bookmarked in my Arma folder. :)

From what I know AI will only use artillery units if they have a line of sight to possible targets. If they're subordinate units and their leader has line of sight to a target they won't engage with indirect fire, no matter what.

Same goes for the support modules.

I'm open for feature requests.

If you guys want to have something in this script package or think that something's missing I'll be glad to add it.

Is it possible to group the FO to a player so the player only authorises the fire missions. Or have a TiC radio call maybe? Something like: mission is card alpha (fire only once fired upon sort of thing). The players squads come under contact & the player tells the FO in his group what targets he wants hit, the FO carries on as the script says. Is that possiple? I just think giving all that power to the FO would be mad as he would bomb targets that the commader (player) didnt want hit just yet.

also if an update allowed us to use smoke as a screen, that would be good

looks good sofar thou mate

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

With support from the HMG's, am I right in thinking they could be placed like say 800m away in a safe place & the FO could tell them to suppress an area as troops went in or will they only shoot at targets? Will they engage at that distance? Once again, could the player commader tell the FO what he wants the HMG group to hit? What about how do they know when to stop firing? Would it be a danger close radius?

Thanks for making this mod mate

Currently it's not possible, but I plan on adding more control over AI FOs if they're in the group controlled by a player, same goes for the Static weapon support teams.

The Static Weapon Support teams are completely autonomous right now and have nothing to do with the FDC or the FO.

HMG teams will engage at up to 800m if they can identify the target as hostile (most likely vehicles) and only if their weapon type can actually harm the target.

First update is out:

Script is now able to run for multiple sides/factions so that each faction can now have its own FDC [current factions in game: NATO, CSAT, AAF, FIA west, FIA east, FIA ind]

Added 8 digit grid reference to FO and FDC radio messages and resolved some minor issues.

Currently working on player modules

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I haven't tested it in multiplayer, which will come together with the player modules but as far as singleplayer goes you can use this script to autonomously make hostile AI fire artillery on you.

Use at your own risk though ;)

I had hostile FOs spawn on multiple possible locations (with grouping them to markers) and had no idea that there's already an mlrs strike on the way to me until I saw those rockets flying towards me.

Most excellent ! Have been playing around with it a lot. Maybe a config option for the timings (arty reload, standby ...) would come in handy. Thank you !

Edited by Demon Cleaner

Hi Grumpy Old Man. Is there any tutorial or example mission for this? I placed the three named units ungrouped at the map, 700-800 m away opfor with static gmg, tigris and standing still soldiers :D the "FO" spotter takes out his lasermarker and remains silent.

Hey BennetArms,

I uploaded a small demo mission to showcase the script.

Use teamswitch to switch between different FO groups (BLUFOR/OPFOR/INDFOR)

The Forward Observers need line of sight on the target, if the target is too far away and/or concealed behind foliage/not moving the forward observers will have a hard time spotting them.

Edited by Grumpy Old Man

Hey BennetArms,

I uploaded a small demo mission to showcase the script.

Use teamswitch to switch between different FO groups (BLUFOR/OPFOR/INDFOR)

The Forward Observers need line of sight on the target, if the target is too far away and/or concealed behind foliage/not moving the forward observers will have a hard time spotting them.

I can't seem to get the "Teamswitch" to work between FO's. When I use the Demo mission, I run to the CO and then the order from an FO comes in. I then push the "U" button and nothing comes up.

I've played around in the editor making myself an FO and this is a pretty slick script. Thanks.

Edit: Ok, I figured out the problem. I tried to run the demo through the Editor load and the "Teamswitch" doesn't work. I then put the mission in the Single Mission in the Steam Account and it works.

Edited by rehtus777

Hello and thanks for all your work! Your installation steps for the 1st version were awesome but I notice with this new package there is none. Does it need an addon folder or is it placed within the mission file now? I want the arty for my friends and I to use against targets we find in the field so do we still need to place those three units? ( I already have some arty batteries setup)

thanks! I really enjoyed your first version

You simply put the contents of GOM_FSS_V1.01.rar into the root folder of your mission.

The included readme file contains the hirarchy of the files and some instructions on how to use it.

Hi, would it be possible to re-upload the demo mission, its not available for download anymore.

Hey Katipo66,

this is because I'm doing a major overhaul to the demo mission, should be finished within the next 24 hours, then I will update the first post.