Opticalsnare

Blastcore: Phoenix 2

I was just about to say that amount of kicked up dust already depends on the surface type in the vanilla game. But after a quick check, it doesn't. I could have sworn I've witnessed it in the game, but I guess it was just with kicked up dust from soldier's feet. :confused:

Why isn't this a vanilla feature in the game? Only the rain will disable the dust. :(

Anyway, I think the current dust is good enough for infantry weapons but the vehicles could use a little more.

While we were at muzzle flashes I would like to toss in one of my related favourites:

Anyone for better tracers?

I really can't stand the vanilla tracers at all. Especially when seen from the incoming side or close by they really look horribly bad.

I am not obsessed with muzzle flashes it was simply a little thing i wanted to suggest, among a million other ideas i have, i'm not a kid to get mad at anyone for disagreeing, it's his mod, believe me if i knew how to mod anything other than sound in arma and opening closing PBOs i would surely not even complain here i would go ahead and make the mod myself.

Not to sound cynical, but why don't you make a mod yourself? Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't mean you can't learn. I hear a lot of people use that excuse on the forums: "If I knew how I'd do it myself". I don't really see that as an excuse, just as a way out of an argument. You said you know how to mod sound and open PBO's, well you're already one step ahead of about 80% of the rest of the community so why stop there?

While we were at muzzle flashes I would like to toss in one of my related favourites:

Anyone for better tracers?

I really can't stand the vanilla tracers at all. Especially when seen from the incoming side or close by they really look horribly bad.

YES! I completely forgot about this! Definately better tracers, and also a feature that seems long forgotten, from arma 1 ace (i think there is an addon for arma 2 for this too), tracers give off light, light up ground/any object they pass by.

Not to sound cynical, but why don't you make a mod yourself? Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't mean you can't learn. I hear a lot of people use that excuse on the forums: "If I knew how I'd do it myself". I don't really see that as an excuse, just as a way out of an argument. You said you know how to mod sound and open PBO's, well you're already one step ahead of about 80% of the rest of the community so why stop there?

I know what you mean but i assure you it's neither an excuse nor a way out of an argument, thing is, i've been playing since 2001, i never bothered to join bis forums but i was a member of best communities around.

At first i thought i couldn't mod because i was lazy and because i've been at it for so long if i didn't learn it by now it would be embarrassing for me to learn it now. Also opening/closing pbos and working with sound is as simple as it gets, and while i may be in the 20% like you say, it's the ones that are in 1% that can actually make worthwhile mods. They have skills (graphics design, 3D programs, Editing, maya, programming etc), something i'd need years to learn by which time arma will probably be better than i could have made it, so i would waste time for nothing. I don't know , weird logic.

To make things even weirder the real reason for all that is, if i know how it works, my immersion is gone, i don't know how many people share the same feeling, but this started when i was making electronic music and learning to do sound stuff in general, i would listen to songs afterwards and find little things in it, things that people cant hear or disregard easily, and the whole magic of the SOUND was gone, simply because knowing how technical it is broke the "spell". Same thing with games, and arma is one of the games i dont want this to happen to :)

To make things even weirder the real reason for all that is, if i know how it works, my immersion is gone, i don't know how many people share the same feeling, but this started when i was making electronic music and learning to do sound stuff in general, i would listen to songs afterwards and find little things in it, things that people cant hear or disregard easily, and the whole magic of the SOUND was gone, simply because knowing how technical it is broke the "spell". Same thing with games, and arma is one of the games i dont want this to happen to :)

As an Audio Engineer I can't really follow what you're describing.

Learning about music production made me appreciate music even more.

Now please stay on topic since this isn't the purpose of this thread.

Any chance of showing off tank and artillery fire/impacts?

Would love to see a video of that (especially MLRS rocket impacts)

Cheers!

@milsov - I got started by learning about 3D studio, configs and stuff. I'm not an expert (far from it) but from lots of posts, and lots of reading of forums etc, I've learned enough to grasp what can be done and I started on small things (like replacing a single sound file etc) and slowly built up from there.

I think you could definitely do all the things you are suggesting, in a MILSOV type mod, I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way as you and it would benefit the community to have a Mod that does what you have suggested. Diversity etc is all good and to be encouraged, look at the content of "Make Arma not War" to see how diverse it is.

I personally am working on Light Infantry Launchers and Mortars because I think there is some excellent stuff out there not being done at all in the Community and there some distinct advantages for infantry based units (which most are!!). Another area I think is weak is the PDW area...But that's another post for another time.

tumblr_lb1w16xsrf1qalxk8

Pump action 40mm etc etc etc

110129278.png

Lots of great stuff to get your teeth into. I look forward to seeing what you do, because I agree with your idea's but just not in this particular setting.

As an Audio Engineer I can't really follow what you're describing.

Learning about music production made me appreciate music even more.

Now please stay on topic since this isn't the purpose of this thread.

Cheers!

Everyone is different, maybe its a matter of perspective.

@milsov - I got started by learning about 3D studio, configs and stuff. I'm not an expert (far from it) but from lots of posts, and lots of reading of forums etc, I've learned enough to grasp what can be done and I started on small things (like replacing a single sound file etc) and slowly built up from there.

I think you could definitely do all the things you are suggesting, in a MILSOV type mod, I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way as you and it would benefit the community to have a Mod that does what you have suggested. Diversity etc is all good and to be encouraged, look at the content of "Make Arma not War" to see how diverse it is.

I personally am working on Light Infantry Launchers and Mortars because I think there is some excellent stuff out there not being done at all in the Community and there some distinct advantages for infantry based units (which most are!!). Another area I think is weak is the PDW area...But that's another post for another time.

Lots of great stuff to get your teeth into. I look forward to seeing what you do, because I agree with your idea's but just not in this particular setting.

Thanks, the stuff you showed does look incredibly good man :)

Anyway sorry to everyone for not staying on topic, move on, forget about it, lets see what OpticalSnare does with this mod :) Cheers

i dont really think the muzzle flash is too important but in low light conditions and night guns really do have a lot of flash. as it stands i think the muzzle flash are good as they are some improvement wouldnt hurt though.

the first 3 minutes of the video demonstrate what 7.62x39mm and 12.7x108mm look like in shade or evening/night fights and there is alot of randomness to it so idk how that could be implemented

i dont really think the muzzle flash is too important but in low light conditions and night guns really do have a lot of flash. as it stands i think the muzzle flash are good as they are some improvement wouldnt hurt though.

the first 3 minutes of the video demonstrate what 7.62x39mm and 12.7x108mm look like in shade or evening/night fights and there is alot of randomness to it so idk how that could be implemented

Indeed, now you gave me an idea, 3 different muzzle flash styles for each category (assault rifles, pistols, LMGs), 1 for twillight like time like before sun goes up and after it goes down (like in your video), one for day, and one for night.

Interestingly most of the flashes from that video above were actually sparks. There wasn't a huge amount of smoke either. That mounted weapon is FIERCE however. Rebels firing it were afraid of it themselves !

Interestingly most of the flashes from that video above were actually sparks. There wasn't a huge amount of smoke either. That mounted weapon is FIERCE however. Rebels firing it were afraid of it themselves !

Yeah...1st rule of firing weapons is not to fear them, Respect yes, but ultimately you are it's sentient master and you control it. You need to take firm control of the weapon system. These guys make me cringe with their spray and pray antics, it's like the anti-thesis of a Military Professional.

Please keep Blastcore 100% client-side and don't delete aircraft or create crash sites. As the saying goes - Keep it simple stupid ;)

Relax, its going to be all visual, there will just be a huge fireball which will hide the aircraft whilst it bounces about and debris will be scattered over a much larger area and there will be more burning parts of aircraft.

I like your thinking, but won't that be a tad demanding on resources? I can imagine frames dropping (if only a little) whenever an aircraft gets destroyed or hits the ground with these extra effects.

Also, won't this affect MP? We'll be able to see things that others can't. Imagine calling out a contact to your team-mates who aren't running Blastcore.

"Contact, West, behind the burning jet wing!"

"Err, what burning jet wing?"

or

"Contacts, East, behind the helicopter wreckage!"

"I can't see them, all I can see is a huge fireball!"

It's the same reason why our server doesn't allow Blastcore due to the increased smoke grenade coverage - those running Blastcore see a huge coverage of smoke (thinking they're in cover), when those not running Blastcore see just a small amount of smoke. Also makes PvP difficult.

Not that I want to discourage you from being creative, but if it were up to me I would stick purely to visual effects without adding extra objects or doing anything that may put those not running Blastcore at an advantage/disadvantage.

Edited by MisterGoodson

Ok first lets get this straight. I don't play MP, and if people dont want to run my mod thats up to them, but i will not restrict the mod for other people who do.

If the server admins does not allow my mod to be used because X don't have this and B has that then thats the way its going to be and it won't change because of the nature and scope of the mod.

The mod is designed for the client and is primarily for the solo aspect of the game not the MP.

Ok first lets get this straight. I don't play MP, and if people dont want to run my mod thats up to them, but i will not restrict the mod for other people who do.

If the server admins does not allow my mod to be used because X don't have this and B has that then thats the way its going to be and it won't change because of the nature and scope of the mod.

The mod is designed for the client and is primarily for the solo aspect of the game not the MP.

Ok, no problem - I completely understand - Blastcore is aimed at SP and not MP ;)

Im not saying that if there is some major issue that will cause serious conflict for those who do and those who dont will be ignored, but there will be a line on how far that will go. Smoke Grenades and Ground Based vehicle counter-measures for example are no longer part of the mod and are now independent so they should no longer cause major issues as members have reported in the past.

Im not saying that if there is some major issue that will cause serious conflict for those who do and those who dont will be ignored, but there will be a line on how far that will go. Smoke Grenades and Ground Based vehicle counter-measures for example are no longer part of the mod and are now independent so they should no longer cause major issues as members have reported in the past.

And I really thank you for that!

Phoenix + MP = yummy. As it was and shall evermore be :) Here endeth the lesson!

This will be amazingly epic, cant wait to be shooting at missiles and dropping cluster bombs =)

Heres some WIP of the Artillery Effects. Mostly showcasing the smoke,dirt & velocity of the effect.

Its also using a some edited animated smoke from the vanilla game which is i am testing out. The scene is very intensive but is still playable, this is about as close as you can get so the amount of particles being generated is at full, but its still within the threshold of particle generation. There are still some effects to add like a groundblast effect which will kickup dust after the impact but its not yet implemented, its designed to spread outwards from the blast along the ground like a shockwave. The sun penetrates the effects which is bit funky sometimes see what i can do.

Not much smoke when your really upclose, but if you are this close you wont see much of anything cause you get blown away and end up watching dirt and smoke blast past your dead body ha. No night-time scenes yet as the lighting is still under going some changes.

http://youtu.be/K6VH7265vVc

Yes, another video!!!

Woah looks nice!

But damn it looks like you might lag a bit in there, geez looks like it might fry my everything :butbut:

Great work though.

I stumble upon a lonely tears from my eyes , fantastic OS ...i am curious of the small weapon impacts (rifles,handgrenades)