Opticalsnare

Blastcore: Phoenix 2

I am sorry for the ignorance, but I do not have the time right now to read through 40 pages of flaming and bickering. Could a kind soul explain to me what the issue seems to be the with phoenix 2, and what's hopecore?

cheers!

Edited by iZver

I am sorry for the ignorance, but I do not have the time right now to read through 40 pages of flaming and bickering. Could a kind soul explain to me what the issue seems to be the with phoenix 2, and what's hopecore?

cheers!

Tl;DR, Opticalsnare made Blastcore, a guy made an unofficial patch for it under the name Hopecore when he assumed that OS had stopped work on Blastcore. Opticalsnare disapproves of his work being used in this way as do many others on the Arma modding forums. On the other hand, the other 'side' point to other modding communities online who regularly see unofficial patches for mods where credit is given to the original author, seeing it as a benefit to the community to have variation & progress. People disagree on the internet and nature takes its course.

Edited by Marcai

Seems like Blastcore breaks the RPG 28 HE rocket. It doesn't have any area effect on infantry as it should, and no large dust cloud kick up. Can someone confirm this? Better check the Titan HE rounds too...

I have noticed that aswell.Quite frightening when a CSAT tank is trundling towards your position,and 3 Titan HE Rockets wont stop it...it does need checking.

Hey Os

Just to know have u been working on gas station explosion ? coz it seems at night the fire turn blue/white sometimes (after 2/3sec) ? and the amount of fire is maybe.. too large (for me) ?

How and btw a small vidéo for some people who like blastcore :)

Edited by Yoyo2a

Hi OS what was the final state of play on smoke grenades...?

My last understanding was that it wasn't possible to get ai to see the additional particle effects so the smokes would be left out or as a manual pbo addition.

I'm trying to support the whitelisting of the mod for our public, but it looks like "uber-smoke" is included from a standard PW6 install.

Was it left in by accident?

Cheers sj

Seems like Blastcore breaks the RPG 28 HE rocket. It doesn't have any area effect on infantry as it should, and no large dust cloud kick up. Can someone confirm this? Better check the Titan HE rounds too...

Seems like the HE balistics are affected too, the trajectory is much flatter when BC Phoenix is running. OpticalSnare, could you please look into it?

I have noticed that aswell.Quite frightening when a CSAT tank is trundling towards your position,and 3 Titan HE Rockets wont stop it...it does need checking.

HE rounds (in Arma) are anti personnel. Don't expect it to do much against a tank, even with three hits. That's what the AT rounds are for.

Here's a comparison of vanilla smoke and BC smoke:

Vanilla

tYbQHvQl.png

@BC_Phoenix

RVkehLll.png

For co-operative gameplay (where AI only see vanilla smoke, and where not everyone may be running BC), this is a game-breaker. As Serjames mentioned above, we're wanting to get BC whitelisted for use in our community but with the current size of smoke it just isn't possible.

Were there plans to leave smoke out of BC? We love using your mod on TvTs, but against AI (which is ~70% of our missions) we just can't use it.

Hi OS what was the final state of play on smoke grenades...?
Were there plans to leave smoke out of BC?

He's hardly likely to leave enhanced smoke out of his enhanced effects mod. Can't you just remove the pbo if you don't like it?

Defunkt - well actually it had been discussed previously that he would do exactly that...

"Make the smoke an optional extra " precisely to help those that play co-op against ai.

Subsequently allowing those that play sp - and therefore people who can be more creative with their mod lines or choose custom pbos for e.g. to add it back in if they chose.

For a community like ours that relies on PW6 it's not really workable to tell 60 guys to go and find a specific pbo and delete it sadly... trust me I've tried :-)

Anyway...

IIRC, PW6 supports private repositories. You may set up your own with your modified version of Blastcore.

Not something that works for us... means another set of admin skills are needed to manage something that PW6 does brilliantly already.

We made a conscious decision some time ago to only use generally released mods... fully tested and stable.

Keeps it really simple for new and existing players to join and prevents issues elsewhere... Basically because running custom stuff is a nightmare to maintain and share between units I.e. during TVTs etc

It's no biggie... I just recall OS clearly saying it would be an optional add-on.

It's no biggie... I just recall OS clearly saying it would be an optional add-on.

But he has made it optional, that's why it's in its own pbo.

I'm in the same boat, I host a collection of mods shared with my players on PlayWithSix, but i have no idea how to edit the mod in my collection (or make a new one?) to be a modified version of blastcore. If there's a relatively simple way to do it, that would be grand, otherwise it's really not going to fly with having people delete their own PBOs.

Well, for what my opinion might be worth, I don't think watering down the default installation of OS' vision in order to accommodate people who lack the wit or will to move a pbo (or customise the content delivery system they've selected) is a reasonable expectation. I also think MrG's screenshots are an exercise in hyperbole, the difference between the effects isn't anything like that large.

Maybe you could ask PWS to host it both ways? Assuming OS is okay with that.

Edited by Defunkt

Opticalsnare, please check PM

Just a heads up. When I download 'Blastcore skies' from PW6 there are just an empty folder. The PBOs are missing.

You have to manually change to version beta 1.0 in PW6 to get the pbos

I have been messing around your Add On, would it be possible to have a small mushroom effect after the explosion, see this video of the first 2 explosions, a small updraft similar to a cloud mushroom would be really convincing if you could do that, but either way the Mod is fantastic and I thank you Opticalsnare for all your hard work creating this Add On I have spent some quality time using it along with the JSRS 3 Sound Mod too - Cannot play Arma 3 now without it! :yay:

Latest RC build breaks smoke. I hate when this happens :(

I'm not getting any dust from bullet impacts on Chernarus where grass is. Any idea on how to fix that?

Opticalsnare, best fire ever seen in any Arma game. Well done and thanks for sharing phoenix 2.

Opticalsnare, best fire ever seen in any Arma game. Well done and thanks for sharing phoenix 2.

Wait what , was there an update i dont know about , because i still see the column of flame. Dont get me wrong i love blastcore and what OS does.. Im just eagerly awaiting the next update so the fire looks more realistic, and lifelike

Edited by Lordprimate

I'm not getting any dust from bullet impacts on Chernarus where grass is. Any idea on how to fix that?

Is that really missing, or is it not meant to be there? I actually personally don't like it when dust comes out of everything, including leaves, when it's hit. IRL, would a bullet really kick any dust at all if it hit grass?

Here's a video of some really dry grass getting hit, and there isn't much to see. From any distance further than point blank, I bet you wouldn't even see it at all:

http://ak3.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/3821534/preview/stock-footage-bullets-hit-the-grass-and-the-dirt-and-grass-fly.mp4

In addition to my comment earlier, the lighting is also affected..... Turning off Skies resolved it. I guess this MOD is affected by the arma updates again. Damn is OS even around anymore or did he leave for good? :( I recall seeing some post about him needing some time away which who are we to be upset about :P

Is that really missing, or is it not meant to be there? I actually personally don't like it when dust comes out of everything, including leaves, when it's hit. IRL, would a bullet really kick any dust at all if it hit grass?

Here's a video of some really dry grass getting hit, and there isn't much to see. From any distance further than point blank, I bet you wouldn't even see it at all:

http://ak3.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/3821534/preview/stock-footage-bullets-hit-the-grass-and-the-dirt-and-grass-fly.mp4[/url]

The problem is one of feedback though; when you can't tell if your long range shot is off by a mile, a few inches, or hitting some invisible collision wall in front of your gun, that's a problem. Seeing the little plumes of dust from shots is very important visual feedback, to let you know that, yes the game is working as expected, you're shots aren't just disappearing into the ether.

Although I don't' think it's a problem with Blastcore. I've noticed that even on the unmodded game my bullet impacts would sometimes not show up, especially on multiplayer games.