Opticalsnare

Blastcore: Phoenix 2

Well OS I hate to say this but I think you damned if you do and damned if you don't. I agree with SnowingJimBob I like the thick black smoke wofting away many meters in the sky. But I think... dare i say it... you've over done it now. You can hardly see the flame effects, this isn't necessarily your fault as ArmA spawns the smoke clouds from the ground not from the top of the flames like a real fire. But now you can hardly see the flame effect as there is so much smoke and because of it it makes it look like there is too much smoke for the damage done. Well at least that is my interpretation. You see why you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

However the big thing I miss is the large Star like explosions from the hunters, humvees and tanks. The new explosions are really nice and look very life like, they just lack the 'WOW' or the 'HARDCORE' factor seen in Phoenix 1. Afterall this mods is called 'Blastcore' I assume for a reason. In fact I might go so far as to say the hunter explosions and other small vehicles explosions aren't that much more impressive than the standard ones.

This is what I'm talking about missing: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpC5J_iSWoBkRm_xz2UpaJ4c_trGDO3XKnfBBRpK9v3qYAfAhZ

Now my griping aside. The mod is still amazing and IMO a must for anyone. And what ever you decide to do with the mod myself and my squad thank you for your time your work and your effort and wish you best of luck in your future projects.

Heh, there's always something^^ I agree tho, ArmA does spawn the smoke FX on the wrong location, should be ontop as you said...

LJ

Thanks LJ, coming from a sound designer myself i think you have done a fantastic job with the sounds in the game, its really impressive the amount of work that you have done and i know how much hard work is hard work in this game.

Rekkless yes i liked them alot too but they were absolute killers for resources. If you want something fancy to check out try blowing up some fuel and ammo trucks, i added effects to them.

damn can't download from armaholic :( please someone upload the new version to mega or anything else :)

damn can't download from armaholic :( please someone upload the new version to mega or anything else :)

I couldn't dowload before but just now it's working!

Since I'm away from my computer I would really love if someone uploaded a video from the latest update. Want to see all these amazing things OS produced :)

OS you have done a splendid job once again. thanks for the latest release on Blastcore.

I'm getting into modding via the terrain side of things and seeing the types of posts given here I am absolutley shocked and dismayed by the fact that people literally have taken your hard work for granted and have complete and utter disrepect for what a modder has to put themselves through to deliver something that is true to their word. Modders say it time and time again, we do it for fun not for money. LJ had it spot on with his comments, thumbs up for your work too dude.

I've tried other fx mods for arma and always ended up back with the two that I started with and the two that were suggested to me back when I started playing 3 years ago. These two mods, were of course JSRS and Blastcore and there are the two mods that I still suggest to people today. Just two weeks a go I did that very thing to a new guy to arma.

What ever path you take after finalising your updates with this release I wish you the best of luck, not only in your gaming reality but you real life reality too. Life is for living and enjoying, not worrying about the bastards that grind your bones and are critical of your work. Rest assured your work will be part of the Arma Legacy for time to come that is for certain.

I couldn't dowload before but just now it's working!

YES! downloading now

With all the controversy about the Hopecore "patch", I tried it out just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not impressed with the changes in hopecore. To me, the fire effect in hopecore looks like a cartoon. Maybe it should have been called: "hope-N-change-core"?

Frankly, OS did a much more professional job with the effects.

If anyone is interested, I made a comparison video.

Choose the 1080p HD version and give it time to cache before watching:

-V

Notes from my personal, non professional, visual comparison of fire & smoke between the various versions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* The original BIS fire is like a tee-pee hut. Very triangular. Very consistent & uniform, which isn't good. You don't want to see too much consistency when several burning vehicles are close together.

* The original BIS smoke is relatively thin, with about a 50/50 mix of grey and black smoke.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Blastcore (non updated) - Fire is much smaller and less uniform, which is good!

* Blastcore (non updated) - The initial explosion has brown & grey dirt and rock thrown around. Awesome!

* Blastcore (non updated) - It might just be my imagination, but the brown & grey dirt and rock seem to sometimes be offset (by offset I mean, they pop-out at slightly different times).

* Blastcore (non updated) - Smoke is much thicker than the original BIS smoke.

* Blastcore (non updated) - Smoke is dark black. Very, very, very dark.

* Blastcore (non updated) - Smoke has a lot of orange color embers rising. I like the embers. It's a cool effect. It would be nice if the embers had different shades of orange, but that might not be possible.

* Blastcore (updated June 14, 2015) - Smoke & orange embers appear to be the same to me.

* Blastcore (updated June 14, 2015) - It seems like the brown and grey dirt & rock now pop-out together, rather than being offset in timing??

* Blastcore (updated June 14, 2015) - To be honest, I can't tell much of a difference between original fire and explosions and this new updated one. Except that maybe some of the explosions are a little faster? And I think someone here said the smoke burns out faster now, to improve the FPS?? (FPS = Frames Per Second, for those who might not know)

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - Fire is very CLEARLY uniform and consistent now (Not a good thing).

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - Fire is much much larger, less triagle shape and more oval shaped.

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - The orange embers in the smoke appear to be 100% removed, or reduced to almost nothing. But in real life, I've seen lots of orange embers rising from various fires. I liked that effect. Totally removing the embers doesn't look good.

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - Fire looks way overdone to me. Cartoonish.

So for the record, personally I like the updated Blastcore version the best.

Edited by heyvern69

With all the controversy about the Hopecore "patch", I tried it out just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not impressed with the changes in hopecore. To me, the fire effect in hopecore looks like a cartoon. Maybe it should have been called: "hope-N-change-core"?

Man, it is actually the first time I see Hopecore in action and, geez, I felt like I was looking at those 2D sprites from old games! :eek:

So, that's what Hjohnson keeps bragging about, that's ...not impressive.

OS, thank you for the quick update. Phoenix 2 is now looking like the greatest BC yet, IMO. Now even custom vehicles like RHS choppers have proper missile and rocket impact effects and every custom jet I have tested has the awesome bomb effects unlike before. Truly sublime. I understand that adding the smoke back will cause it to temporarily disappear if overloaded, (just hop into Zeus fire support and drop a 230mm rocket strike while vehicles burn to see for yourself) but that amazing looking thick dark smoke was a staple of BC and so well done it just isn't the same without it. I agree it is somewhat saddening to see those huge explosions gone though.

I, for one, am thrilled to have the smoke back. Others who prefer the trade off of less smoke for more particles temporarily will enjoy the version before this update. I still think my suggestion of adding some lingering blood mist would substantially contribute to your already stellar mod. But, this updated version is absolutely excellent.

Thank you from a pleased user.

** Ammo trucks...Wow. Beautiful explosions.

Edited by SouthernSmoke

Is it just me or do boats not have explosion effects now?

So I am not sure if this is a PWS issue or what, but when I try to download BC: Skies on PWS it says it is downloaded, but the folder is essentially empty and there is no mod available to select?

EDIT: Think I figured out what was going on. I think PWS forces the version (global default) to be 0.0.1 or something which does not work/download properly, when really you want 1.0-beta as the version.

Edited by MavericK96

I wouldn't mind seeing those beautiful sparks from ammo truck explosions being expanded to occur during explosions of all armor as well. Its a shame that amazing spark effect is only produced when a vehicle that's rarely used is destroyed. And the more I see that new burning aircraft fire, the more I would like to see it featured more as well.

** The smoke from gun barrels makes a welcome return. Nice.

Edited by SouthernSmoke

-V

Notes from my personal, non professional, visual comparison of fire & smoke between the various versions:

* The original BIS fire is like a tee-pee hut. Very triangular. Very consistent & uniform, which isn't good. You don't want to see too much consistency when several burning vehicles are close together.

* The original BIS smoke is relatively thin, with about a 50/50 mix of grey and black smoke.

* Blastcore (non updated) - Fire is much smaller and less uniform, which is good!

* Blastcore (non updated) - The initial explosion has brown & grey dirt and rock thrown around. Awesome!

* Blastcore (non updated) - It might just be my imagination, but the brown & grey dirt and rock seem to sometimes be offset (by offset I mean, they pop-out at slightly different times).

* Blastcore (non updated) - Smoke is much thicker than the original BIS smoke.

* Blastcore (non updated) - Smoke is dark black. Very, very, very dark.

* Blastcore (non updated) - Smoke has a lot of orange color embers rising. I like the embers. It's a cool effect. It would be nice if the embers had different shades of orange, but that might not be possible.

* Blastcore (updated June 14, 2015) - Smoke & orange embers appear to be the same to me.

* Blastcore (updated June 14, 2015) - It seems like the brown and grey dirt & rock now pop-out together, rather than being offset in timing??

* Blastcore (updated June 14, 2015) - To be honest, I can't tell much of a difference between original fire and explosions and this new updated one. Except that maybe some of the explosions are a little faster? And I think someone here said the smoke burns out faster now, to improve the FPS?? (FPS = Frames Per Second, for those who might not know)

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - Fire is very CLEARLY uniform and consistent now (Not a good thing).

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - Fire is much much larger, less triagle shape and more oval shaped.

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - The orange embers in the smoke appear to be 100% removed, or reduced to almost nothing. But in real life, I've seen lots of orange embers rising from various fires. I liked that effect. Totally removing the embers doesn't look good.

* Blastcore (with added hopecore "patch") - Fire looks way overdone to me. Cartoonish.

So for the record, personally I like the updated Blastcore version the best.

Nice video. I think I largely prefer the smoke from the non-updated version. To me, the ultra dark smoke in the updated version looks kinda weird.

If you want to see BC effects in "daylight", Thirsk has daylight because of its geographic location.. I wonder what other maps have a similar effect?

Could you explain what you mean?Thirsk has daylight?Is Thirsk's daylight different to other maps in some way?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_sun I think the map authors were trying to simulate this effect?

AH!That makes sense.I didnt realise Thirsk had midnight sun,but this is Arma-of course it does :) Looking forward to the terrain reveal in a couple of hours

OS, love your work as usual!!

Is there any way you could give those fire config numbers i sent you a second look...

I was pretty disappointing to see the same old straight up and down colums of fire. I know your not here to please me I was just really hoping you would consider my config numbers.

heli and airplane fires look neat, but the fireplace and the vehicle fires could use a look see..

its the same old colum of fire, no wispy flickery, dancing, fire..

Please please take a look at those numbers i sent and possibly reconsider using them .. the fire comes to life..

PS. Glad to see you back!!

Is there any way you could give those fire config numbers i sent you a second look...

I was pretty disappointing to see the same old straight up and down colums of fire. I know your not here to please me I was just really hoping you would consider my config numbers.

heli and airplane fires look neat, but the fireplace and the vehicle fires could use a look see..

Please please take a look at those numbers i sent and possibly reconsider using them .. the fire comes to life..

Is it possible to see a comparison video?

Is it possible to see a comparison video?

I'd like to see a video comparison as well.it sounds like a neat feature.If it isn't added to the mod-could you release it separately?

Yea sorry i completely forgot mate. I will proberly be making some minor changes to the fire and smoke from vehicles and will add it in.

Hey OS could you change the name of the actual forum it still says R1