Opticalsnare

Blastcore: Phoenix 2

Another big, I think 1.22 broke your mod OS.

After a JDAM hits the debris particles last a couple of seconds and then abruptly disappear. Running on high particle settings with CBA updated. If you do anything with the next build, I think the most important is getting bigger explosions out of aircraft bombs and longer lasting debris clouds out of them. They've always seemed like the most underwhelming part of the game.

Easier said then done. Bigger explosions and more debris is going to have a big effect on preformance, it might be possible to just scale up the excisting effects, without adding any more dust and smoke.

Well its not like most missions have constant barrages of JDAMs.

Thats all that needs scaling up IMO. More so a BIS issue than anything. OS did a great job with A2, I actually ran the A2 version today to test and it almost works.

OS did a great job with A2, I actually ran the A2 version today to test and it almost works.

I´ll tried it too, how did you fix the errors which are popping out when starting the game?

I´ll tried it too, how did you fix the errors which are popping out when starting the game?

I didn't get many errors. Most it was explosions would have two plumes. One was the correct one and the other a perfectly vertical one.

I didn't get many errors. Most it was explosions would have two plumes. One was the correct one and the other a perfectly vertical one.

Did you use only the Arma2 version or did you run it together with the Arma3 Version?

The HJ STEAM user aka "Hope Johnson" has make an upload to STEAM network of the "fork" (ahem.. coff, coff) of Blastcore.

You can see the workshop file here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=286050506&searchtext=blastcore

I write a full report about the problem using the reporting tool.

This honestly makes me sick to my stomach. If someone has the skills to replace the smoke effects, remove the sparks and alter the explosions, then the have the skills to make a mod of their own, why steal someone's stuff? I simply can't understand, what a lazy degenerate piece of shit must you be to do such a thing.

What's the issue with somebody forking as long as they've provided original credit and aren't selling the product.

The modding community of BIS games is so toxic.

If you dont have the proper permission to do that (fork, distribute, etc) you cannot do nothing related with material provided by others.

The right choice is create from scratch a new one mod (without using code, assest, etc).

"The modding community of BIS games is so toxic."

The modding community of BIS isnt a jungle.

^^It's the rules of the game.

I am looking forward to the release. So when do you plan on releasing the update OS?....JK...Really just kidding. That was also against the rules to ask for release dates from a modder(didn't always know that).

The rules are the rules and I am sure they were implemented for a reason. Most might argue this community has been sustainable partly due to them.

The modding community of BIS games is the best ever.

Please take down that fake Blastcore please.

Yay!

What's the issue with somebody forking as long as they've provided original credit and aren't selling the product.

The issue, honestly, is that he went about doing it in a really crappy way. He didn't ask permission when the original author was readily available. He has a pretty bad attitude in general about the whole thing, and he has expressed his intentions to do the same thing with other addons. If he wanted to help he would have offered to do so, instead of acting like he was doing everyone a favor. Even if he was entitled to do what he is doing (he almost certainly isn't), this guy isn't in it to create a less toxic community. I mean, come on, he came from 4chan, one of the most toxic communities on the internet.

He's arguing on the Workshop page that preventing people from releasing a million modified versions of the same addon is causing the Arma modding scene to become stagnant. That's insane. We need less copies of other people's work. Not more.

^^It's the rules of the game.

I am looking forward to the release. So when do you plan on releasing the update OS?....JK...Really just kidding. That was also against the rules to ask for release dates from a modder(didn't always know that).

The rules are the rules and I am sure they were implemented for a reason. Most might argue this community has been sustainable partly due to them.

For the record, the reason that it's against the rules to bump addon threads asking for updates is that it alerts everyone who is subscribed to the thread that there are new posts and makes them think that the addon may have come out or that there is some news, only to find out that it was just some dude asking for news when there almost certainly isn't any.

Edited by roshnak

If someone takes it upon themself to ignore the original author's request and tries to justify it through legal loopholes, then they are a piece of shit.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Not trying to justify the act of "stealing", which it isn't btw, OpticalSnare's work. However this kind of things is doomed to happen when you decide not to update such a popular mod for months while it's partly broken and won't authorize willing individuals to do it for you despite his/their intention to still give full credit to OpticalSnare. Uploading it on Workshop without authorization is a bit over the top though.

Edited by dunedain

The problem is, like so many people fail to see, is that he didn't ask. You say the modding community is toxic, that just means that you never spend enough time on something to feel what it feels like when someone runs away with your work even if you're in the credits. Credits don't mean shit if you steal something, that's like a burglar robbing you're entire place but not being judged guilty in court because he says he's really enjoying your new TV, you're computer and you're car.

This guy knew who OS is, he knew he was the original author of blastcore, but he didn't have the common courtesy to post a little message on the forums or send him a pm. Everyone seems to act like the modders are somekind of kings who want to rule and own everyting, but that's not true. All you need to do is simply ASK, that's all. That's the great thing about modding is sharing n creations, but it has to be regulated in some way, even if it can't be done legally, it has to be regulated. Besides, the best creations come from collaboration. If this guy had asked OS, and substantiated to him what he wanted to do with the mod, he would've been able to collaborate, take some of the work from OS's back, which would've benefitted all, and make an ever better mod.

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Not trying to justify the act of "stealing", which it isn't btw, OpticalSnare's work. However this kind of things is doomed to happen when you decide not to update such a popular mod for months while it's partly broken and won't authorize willing individuals to do it for you despite his/their intention to still give full credit to OpticalSnare. Uploading it on Workshop without authorization is a bit over the top though.

Well like you said, that doesn't justify stealing someone's work and not asking (if he didn't). But I guess that if someone is to lazy to ask an author if he can work on his stuff, than he's also to lazy to thumb thrue this thread a bit and find that OS has actually stated multiple times that he's still working on the mod.

I don't understand why some people think a modder is somekind of machine that you can just tell what to do and when to do it. Opticalsnare is a person, and I know it might be hard to believe but he probably has other things going on in his life besides making mods.

Is it true that Valve automatically own anything uploaded to WS? Heared it before, havent checked. Perhaps a readme in the blastcore download with rules would be good to minimize confusion and to prohibit an upload of an updated blastcore, if that is OS's wish.

Looking forward to an update. Hard to live without this mod. ;)

Is it true that Valve automatically own anything uploaded to WS? Heared it before, havent checked.

There was a topic somewhere nearby - look for "Steam Legal Discussion". But in short, no, your IP is yours.

There was a topic somewhere nearby - look for "Steam Legal Discussion". But in short, no, your IP is yours.

More precise: the IP is ALSO yours, there is no transfer, but now it is ALSO valve's, so it's shared..

Well in all this licensing discussion, I'll say that I'm not going to download a Blastcore version that is not Opticalsnare's. I'd rather play without it than use a non sanctioned version of it, whether it is legally acceptable or not: it still is wrong morally.

Yay!

On the topic - I suggest as much people as possible do report this entry. The more reports, the more probability a correct action would be taken, IMO.

OpticalSnare (or anyone else for that matter) cannot stop you to release a separate file, with a separate addon name, that enhances someone's else work. It is common courtesy to announce the author of the release, not really ask for permission if it is a separate file containing dependency for the original files.

Open source code does NOT cover "brand" names, which, in this case is Blastcore, no matter on what other previous mods it is based upon.

If one or another does NOT want his files updated by 3rd party, it is his right, no matter of popularity or other reasons. He owes the users nothing really...

There's also a difference between open-source and stealing code.

I quess some people are just born to be a dick.

Apart from that i should be done by end of the month.

Ran into shitstorm of issues recently hopfully thats the last of that.

Edited by Opticalsnare

I quess some people are just born to be a dick.

Apart from that i should be done by end of the month.

Ran into shitstorm of issues recently hopfully thats the last of that.

When new UPDATE Optical?

Because now this mod is old enough, the last update was in January and there are many BUG and many things to improve.

Edited by MasterAntony