Opticalsnare

Blastcore: Phoenix 2

You will understand that " i'm sure of it " isn't the most convincing argument you could provide. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. According to his reactions and multiple dramas, i got an easier time to assume he won't.

Opticalsnare is a well known and respected member of the community, I'm not the only one that knows that. You might think he's dramatic, but he's just passionate and carefull with his work, and there's nothing worng with that because its his work.

No updates since forever. People are sick of waiting an " official statement " and just assume the author is gone. Which is, in all honestly, fair.

That's exactly what the real problem is here. Being impatient and starting to assume things, assume the mod is dead, and assume because of that you have the right to alter and redistribute it. And that is also exactly why we have these forum rules, because if we wouldn't have rules, this would happen all the time, and its likely people wouldn't even bother modding the game to begin with.

Blastcore A2 took the better part of 3 years to complete, but in the end it turned out great, and people had lots of great games with it. So just be patient, and again, if your tired of waiting for a statment from OS, try contacting him its not that hard. And if he doesn't awnser, inform the moderators and try to work something out. Point is there are lots of more steps before you can just take someone's work and redistribute it.

Modding without permission isn't illegal, it's only a rule on these forums. HJohnson legally proved that he can do what he wants with it, just at the price of his rights on these forums, of which he is banned. Some of you people are mistaking that his punishment extends past these forums, but you are incorrect.

And you made a account to come and post this on his behalf?

I made this account to express my opinion on issues on these forums, same reason you and everyone else made their accounts, and the opinions you see me post are my own on the subject.

That's exactly what the real problem is here. Being impatient and starting to assume things, assume the mod is dead, and assume because of that you have the right to alter and redistribute it. And that is also exactly why we have these forum rules, because if we wouldn't have rules, this would happen all the time, and its likely people wouldn't even bother modding the game to begin with.

Blastcore A2 took the better part of 3 years to complete, but in the end it turned out great, and people had lots of great games with it. So just be patient, and again, if your tired of waiting for a statment from OS, try contacting him its not that hard. And if he doesn't awnser, inform the moderators and try to work something out. Point is there are lots of more steps before you can just take someone's work and redistribute it.

You know OS. We don't.

All i know is that he's prompt at making dramas and that we didn't saw an update since ages. You can't blame people to make conclusions out of that, because that's the only informations " we " got.

There's player out there that have to manage operations with 30 to 60 players, and trust me, having a broken mod doing errors constantly when shooting a specific gun gets old really quick, and again you can't blame them for wanting to fix these issues by themselves after waiting a couple of months or so.

I mean, it's sound so obvious to me that i'm having hard times to write it. That's just how the world runs, if you release something popular with issues, after a while people will try to fix them by themselves. And that's a good thing because otherwise the modding scene of ArmA would have gone stale ages ago.

Now i would understand the drama if HopeJ pretended it was his work and didn't gave credits to OS, but that's not the case. So yeah. Big deal.

You can't blame people and put your so called problem on them. That's just not fair and plain wrong.

Edited by Drakenof

After this, I can fully understand OS.

He makes a great mod in his free time and because people don't want to wait for an update they steal his work and label it as open source mod because they say so.

You should see the squad he brought in on the Reddit topic, It was quite pathetic to see all the comments, 90% were from brand new accounts from his "group" in support of his 'work'.

After this, I can fully understand OS.

He makes a great mod in his free time and because people don't want to wait for an update they steal his work and label it as open source mod because they say so.

I wouldn't call fixing stealing his work. The mods open source because it doesn't have appropriate licensing, and uses mods that are open source. OS said that he didn't want people modifying his mod without his permission , but since he didn't license it, his words mean nothing. Yes it's rude to go against his verbal conditions, and HJohnson should of at least asked, but it's also rude to restrict people from acquiring a better mod simply because it's not done by him. HJohnson had the experience and talent to make something better and took the opportunity to do so, his only mistake was not asking for permission -which although wan't necessary- was the right thing to do.

There will always be losers like that, and also ungrateful buggers no matter what you do. If I was OS I'd be laughing my arse off right now. Pity you can't be selective about WHO gets your mod! There are a few on here that wouldn't get a thing!

Taking someone's work and modifying it then placing it on the forums is just BAD form.

You know OS. We don't.

All i know is that he's prompt at making dramas and that we didn't saw an update since ages. You can't blame people to make conclusions out of that, because that's the only informations " we " got.

There's player out there that have to manage operations with 30 to 60 players, and trust me, having a broken mod doing errors constantly when shooting a specific gun gets old really quick, and again you can't blame them for wanting to fix these issues by themselves after waiting a couple of months or so.

I mean, it's sound so obvious to me that i'm having hard times to write it. That's just how the world runs, if you release something popular with issues, after a while people will try to fix them by themselves. And that's a good thing because otherwise the modding scene of ArmA would have gone stale ages ago.

Now i would understand the drama if HopeJ pretended it was his work and didn't gave credits to OS, but that's not the case. So yeah. Big deal.

You can't blame people and put your so called problem on them. That's just not fair and plain wrong.

Yes but what do you think OS is? Somekind of second hand developer that has nothing better to do than to listen to people whining about the same problems over and over. Imagine you were away from the community for any number of reasons, maybe something has come up in your personal life, a death, moving, jobs, school etc. You can be away from the forums several months, like you said, perhaps even a year or longer. Then you come back and you find out that people have been redistributing and modifying your work, now I'd be pretty pissed if that were to happen to me even if those people gave me credit. That's like a soldier coming home to his girlfriend telling him she fucked 30 other guys, but not to worry, because while she was being fucked, she kept telling them what a great boyfriend you are.

The only fair and sensible thing to do when you're not satisfied with a mod, and you haven't been granted permission to alter it. Is to make you're own mod. Maybe then you'll also understand what a dick move it is to take someone's work without permission. Better still, it could breathe life into everything thrue competition, two mods trying to achieve similair goals, it could give both parties reason to make their respective mods the best they can be, or perhaps even coorperate on certain things. That is how you keep a modding scene from going stale, what you're sayin does exactly the oppesite.

So if you can't be bothered to make your own mods, or at least try to contact the original author, you should just be patient. And to say that "I", know OS and "you" don't, and that its so "obvious" to you, just shows how little respect and patience you actually have. Because it takes a matter of minutes to send a PM, and ask kindly if you can use his work. And to think that "that's just how the world works", is a very narrowminded "do whatever I want" mentality. That is how a world works, yeah. a world full of assholes and dickheads, you don't have to be a dickhead.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

I wouldn't call fixing stealing his work. The mods open source because it doesn't have appropriate licensing, and uses mods that are open source. OS said that he didn't want people modifying his mod without his permission , but since he didn't license it, his words mean nothing. Yes it's rude to go against his verbal conditions, and HJohnson should of at least asked, but it's also rude to restrict people from acquiring a better mod simply because it's not done by him. HJohnson had the experience and talent to make something better and took the opportunity to do so, his only mistake was not asking for permission -which although wan't necessary- was the right thing to do.

I agree, there's the legal side, and the courtesy side of things, legally no one can be stopped from doing what HJohnson did. And some people value legal loopholes more than the others, corrupt politicians for instance, inventors that steal each others idea's, bankers, scammers. But its not rude to restrict acces to a mod because its one made with someone elses aquired content. That is in fact the right thing to do.

Maybe OS should just put this mod back in "...MODS-DISCUSSION" Since its still broken and has been since A2... Or is this the Mod that is "Alpha" for life?

Fixing or removing PBOs is not a issue, Redistributing with out permission just sucks.

Keep it on your Private server if your going to change it with out permission.HJ new this...

I see this never ever being fixed, as said by OS, untill he said well maybe someday... anyhoo the game as it stands now is fine with particles effects, and the TrueSky, has awesome particles, that should be brought into the effects. This Mod is redundant.

Guess I sound like a hater...I dont tho hate it, or OS why would I?

Why should it go back into Discussion, as it was released. I'm using Blastcore every day and loving it. Yes there are some problems but I don't care. I'm thankful that he made the mod in the first place!

The discussion stops right here:

§19) Posting addon/mod other content without permission

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community, people work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. There are a few simple rules in place to provide the respect to these creative people/groups that they deserve:

The first and most fundamental rule is that you must seek permission to alter someone's work, to mirror it or use it in any way other than for personal use. No permission, no editing, no mirroring, no adding to your mod pack, no editing and sharing around your private squad, none of that is acceptable.

Obviously we cannot unfortunately control what people do outside of these forums, however on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission and we receive a complaint then the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved and the forum member(s) risks being permanently banned from these forums for taking someone's work without permission.

This isn't just limited to re-using content in addons/mods/missions however, it's not acceptable to edit someone's work without permission and then to post screenshots of it on the forums (even if the edited addon/mod is purely for personal use), it's also not acceptable to edit someone's work, or use someone's work in any way that you don't have permission for and then to create videos which you post on these forums, doing any of the above without the permission of the original creators risks a permanent ban, for individuals, for whole mod teams or squads.

Not having a explicit license doesn't automatically open source. Using open sourced material doesn't make it open source either. The creator might wanted to wait to redistribute the bits from open source since the work is completed, not releasing WIP stuff.

Anyway, nothing of anybodys business here. No permission, no release. Simple as that. And now all discussion about any other Blastcore addon expect the one from OpticalSnare is banned from this thread. Any further post will be infracted and user will be banned from this thread.

3 posts deleted, 2 infractions given. Maybe time to start to hand out 7 days vacations.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Time for ingrates to wise up, the internet maybe be your playground but peoples time, energy and efforts are not. This is a community where we care about each other, and we show that care with respect and gratitude for those personal sacrifices made by creators when making mods for our enjoyment.

Then those players should use common sense and NOT USE THE MOD in their modset. Voila!! No errors or troubleshooting headaches.

Fookin el, i leave the forums for a few weeks and the savages turn up. Yes the current mod is in a shit state, its outdated and mostly based on the A2 version of the mod.

I can't release an update to the mod at the very moment because in its current state its not finished or ready to be released its worse than what is currently released in its current form. As i said before im currently changing the structure of the mod so that the effects are much easier to navigate to and edit, this takes time to make sure effects are working correctly and are edited, this cannot be done overnight or completed in a week. So just because theres no update yet does not mean i have left the mod and its dead and other people can begin to rip into my work.

As for maddmatts effects i only use whats already included in the vanilla versions of both a2 and a3 games. I actually began this mod as a direct competitor to his during A1 but the mod got released on A2 insted because it took longer.

And as for this licensing shit, I shouldnt have to, modding is not something that is here because the public demands it, its about a bunch of boring people learning shit and saying look at my shit look at what i can do and the other dude is like yea look at ma shit. Releasing that to the public is just a way of saying hey wanna try my shit. If you can't respect those people who create that shit then what happens when those people get fed up and not make anymore mods?

The only reason i don't check the forums that often anymore is because theres nothing worth stating really. Be like report #587475.... working on effects for bullet impacts changed some values effects still looks like puke trying again.... \o/ Then there proberly be a shitload of debating about size and then theres people asking dozens of questions on do this and that. I just wanna switch off sometimes, but im still here ffs i still read the thread.

Fookin el, i leave the forums for a few weeks and the savages turn up...

Things aren't what they used to be anymore.

No it has changed. Many new users that are very impatience and demanding. Lack of common sense and respect.

Also it looks like some don't see the border between BIS and the community.

Good to read that you are still improving the mod Opticalsnare!

Yep, keep it your pace! :D

Yay!

Keep on keepin' on man! I love your work in its current state and i definitely understand the time it takes so rock on!

Fookin el, i leave the forums for a few weeks and the savages turn up. Yes the current mod is in a shit state, its outdated and mostly based on the A2 version of the mod.

I can't release an update to the mod at the very moment because in its current state its not finished or ready to be released its worse than what is currently released in its current form. As i said before im currently changing the structure of the mod so that the effects are much easier to navigate to and edit, this takes time to make sure effects are working correctly and are edited, this cannot be done overnight or completed in a week. So just because theres no update yet does not mean i have left the mod and its dead and other people can begin to rip into my work.

As for maddmatts effects i only use whats already included in the vanilla versions of both a2 and a3 games. I actually began this mod as a direct competitor to his during A1 but the mod got released on A2 insted because it took longer.

And as for this licensing shit, I shouldnt have to, modding is not something that is here because the public demands it, its about a bunch of boring people learning shit and saying look at my shit look at what i can do and the other dude is like yea look at ma shit. Releasing that to the public is just a way of saying hey wanna try my shit. If you can't respect those people who create that shit then what happens when those people get fed up and not make anymore mods?

The only reason i don't check the forums that often anymore is because theres nothing worth stating really. Be like report #587475.... working on effects for bullet impacts changed some values effects still looks like puke trying again.... \o/ Then there proberly be a shitload of debating about size and then theres people asking dozens of questions on do this and that. I just wanna switch off sometimes, but im still here ffs i still read the thread.

Every community member with a sense for courtesy really respects you for your work, please don´t get discouraged by some whiny impatient assholes.

Also massive LOL at their claims to be part of Shacktac. Wait until Dslyecxi (Damn this name, I have to look it up every time I want to write it) reads this. If you are really a part of that group he will have a nice talk about maturity with you before you get kicked out.

Also massive LOL at their claims to be part of Shacktac. Wait until Dslyecxi (Damn this name, I have to look it up every time I want to write it) reads this. If you are really a part of that group he will have a nice talk about maturity with you before you get kicked out.

Where did they claim that? Mus have missed it.^^

Yeah if you don't feed me regularly I can get pissy :p

Welcome back.. ignore the fools.

Jesus someone call Dyslecxi.

Yay!