Opticalsnare

Blastcore: Phoenix 2

Hmmm perhaps we need an Nvidia DLC where things like this are handed off to the GPU. I'd pay for it !

Or something like this..

https://developer.nvidia.com/apex-particles

We already have Physx, I don't get why they can't add an option for Nvidia users to utilize the PhysX particle system instead of their own system.. Then again I don't get why they won't let us nvidia users offload PhysX it's self to the GPU instead of forcing it to be used on the CPU. Truth be told anything relating to the GPU I doubt BI will do or improve. Over the past decade they have shown their inability to make better use of the GPU and make very little use of it in general. Wonder what will happen when CPU's are replaced by GPU's..

Lads, please stay on topic. This is about Blastcore addon and not about PhysX in general. Thank you.

GitHub is a website that allows for open source collaboration on any project.

This is an open source version of Blastcore for A3 (*link removed*) that has many fixes to it. Some of those fixes is the removal of the piss yellow explosions, giant firefly sparks, functioning smoke grenades, and fixed 25mm/30mm classnames, staying brass among others modifications. In order to use this version you must be able to pack pbo's.

People with Git's are free to fork this and help develop Blastcore from its current state to what could potentially be a great and immersive mod.

Opticalsnare, you are free to take any of the many fixes from the community version and implement it into yours. However, this does not mean all fixes that you submit to Armaholic or to the github will be accepted.

Thanks, and I hope this leads to a greater product!

Edited by MadDogX
link removed until matter is resolved

His post is removed on /r/armadev. As a moderator there, I did this myself. With his piss poor attitude, and no permission from the Author. I know this crap isn't allowed here, and I wasn't about to let it happen on Reddit either.

He may repost there, after Optical gives him permission, if he wishes to do so.

Sigh, he is now making fake accounts to try and win his case... so easy to just hit Remove on Reddit. This guy is a real piece of work.

Edited by KilrBe3

Yeah, people wanting and making good quality mods is crap because "its me its mine me me me me me".

Absolute cancer.

---------- Post added at 02:48 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

His post is removed on /r/armadev. As a moderator there, I did this myself. With his piss poor attitude, and no permission from the Author. I know this crap isn't allowed here, and I wasn't about to let it happen on Reddit either.

He may repost there, after Optical gives him permission, if he wishes to do so.

Sigh, he is now making fake accounts to try and win his case... so easy to just hit Remove on Reddit. This guy is a real piece of work.

Bohemia Interactive created license templates to help mod creators to license their work. Be advised that NONE of those

entitle you prevent people from modifying AND distributing those modifications as long as they 1. Attribute the original mod author, 2. Do not

exploit the mod commercially and 3. Do not convert the modifications for any other game than Arma. Their actual text is much longer and I encourage

you to read it at http://www.bistudio.com/english/licenses as you clearly lack the knowledge of how the legal side is governed when it comes to game

modifications in Arma and video games in genereal.

Furthermore, OpticalSnare failed to provide a licensing for his project "BlastCore". I'll do that for him really quick. Blastcore uses CBA as part of its

initialization routine. CBA is licensed under GPLv2, which is the General Public License by the GNU foundation. To cut a ( very ) long license short:

Any work created that uses something licensed under GPL as part of your work, even if it is only using it to initialize your routines,

even if you do not charge money ( which you are forbidden from doing so as per Arma 3 Tools EULA anyways ), even if you do not modify the GPL licensed software

in any way, then you MUST make the source code of YOUR WORK available for the public and allow people to create derivative works.

And even if you had to physically print the code out to paper and fax it to the requesting party, you MUST make it available.

TL;DR, BlastCore is open source already, must be licensed properly and must allow derivative work unconditionally as per GPLv2 specifications

And I will be fair enough to warn OpticalSnare here, this is a legally binding agreement you agreed to by using CBA. Consider reading into the licenses involved

to avoid any harm coming to you. But please, drop that high and mighty "But it's my addon I will continue to ignore and not update and fix it at my own discretion" attitude.

People want to make it a great addon and refusing to let them is one of the most bitchy and egocentrical things you can pull, period.

As for us, we will continue maintaining said github repository and continue providing fixing and improving one of the most visually stunning arma effect mods out there.

Good Day

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you alienate yourself from a community.

Better yet, the post directly above yours.

Hah! Look at how close that timing was.

Abs

since blastcore appears to be (at least in part) using old code from maddmatt's ArmAEffects mod, I think that all of this hatred for HJohnson is misplaced.

since blastcore appears to be (at least in part) using old code from maddmatt's ArmAEffects mod, I think that all of this hatred for HJohnson is misplaced.

Which Optical got permission from.

Common sense people. You cannot just go take work and edit it and reupload without permission.

The licenses that we operate under, aka the rules and regulations, does not say that is the case.

Which Optical got permission from.

Common sense people. You cannot just go take work and edit it and reupload without permission.

and what were the terms of this agreement? I find it hard to believe that a community-friendly contributor such as maddmatt would say : you can use my code, lock it down, and not let anyone access the derivative work/

Letting the mods handle this, This is pathetic how you guys cannot know common sense.

Letting the mods handle this, This is pathetic how you guys cannot know common sense.

*shrug* you are the one who came here ranting and raving about needing permission for code that is already licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL by somebody else (assuming that the github contributor above is correct in saying that CBA is GNU GPL) . It appears that any moderation that needs to be done has already been done.

[edit] also, if something is released into the public domain without a specific license, what do you think the legal status of that something is?

it has been brought to my attention that optical licensed this under a general "no you can't edit/distribute" statement.

The only question now is: what are the terms of the constituent 3rd party scripts/configs/art that are contained within blastcore?

[edit 2]

I don't use this mod, I don't really care if it succeeds or if it fails. I have no connection to the person who is releasing the updated version - never once have I discussed anything with him directly or indirectly.

As someone who writes mods for this and other games, I find it disconcerting that somebody can take an old, defunct mod.. repackage it with new classnames, distribute it, then try to deny others the exact same right they were afforded. It seems disingenuous (at best). The list of contributors (unthanked, by the way) that you can gather simply by looking at this mod is lengthy. This isn't one guy's work, but a community effort.

I don't care that he is asking for donations, he deserves them if somebody feels he deserves them. What I do care about is this attitude that someone can basically take a bunch of people's work.. put it all together (granted, with some new work added), then claim to have some sort of exclusivity over the resulting codebase. It really goes against the community spirit - and likely the spirit of the original author's permission.

Edited by k0rd

Thread temporarily closed and links removed until this matter has been cleared up.

Thread re-opened. OpticalSnare has not given permission to redistribute modified versions of Blastcore (let alone open-source it). Please note that redistributing other people's work without permission is a bannable offense on these forums. (§19)

Edited by MadDogX

Great Mod Opticalsnare !

Just got this error while using Blastcore:

2014-06-02_00001dapd6.jpg

I alos got one with mk82_smoke_side_light (no screenshot):

Great Mod Opticalsnare !

Just got this error while using Blastcore:

http://abload.de/thumb/2014-06-02_00001dapd6.jpg

I alos got one with mk82_smoke_side_light (no screenshot):

Download HopeJ fixes. Since this mod is dead and not updated in the slightest, and permisions are not given to update this mod publicly, you need to get the updates from another sources.

Have a good day.

So HJohnson got banned from these forums because he made an improved version of a broken mod for the community, and then released it to the public crediting OpticalSnare, proving that legally he had the right to modify it (due to inadequate licensing, thus defaulting on CBAs license, which is open source). He released it saying that anyone can edit his fix for the betterment of the mod, but got shot down simply because OpticalSnare did not give him permission to fix it.

Personally I feel this is the wrong approach to this matter, it's like arresting a boy scout for jaywalking because he helped an elderly women across the street. I understand that editing mods without a permission is a FORUM rule to prevent people from stealing other peoples work without proper credit and then brushing it off as their own; but this is the completely opposite situation. HJohnson saw a great mod and all he wanted to do was make it better for the community, and what he got in return was a bunch of hate and a ban from the BIS forums. It's situations like these that weaken the modding community, if you would even call it a 'community' after what happened in this thread. Shame.

Download HopeJ fixes. Since this mod is dead and not updated in the slightest, and permisions are not given to update this mod publicly, you need to get the updates from another sources.

Have a good day.

The mod isn't dead.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

So HJohnson got banned from these forums because he made an improved version of a broken mod for the community, and then released it to the public crediting OpticalSnare, proving that legally he had the right to modify it (due to inadequate licensing, thus defaulting on CBAs license, which is open source). He released it saying that anyone can edit his fix for the betterment of the mod, but got shot down simply because OpticalSnare did not give him permission to fix it.

Personally I feel this is the wrong approach to this matter, it's like arresting a boy scout for jaywalking because he helped an elderly women across the street. I understand that editing mods without a permission is a FORUM rule to prevent people from stealing other peoples work without proper credit and then brushing it off as their own; but this is the completely opposite situation. HJohnson saw a great mod and all he wanted to do was make it better for the community, and what he got in return was a bunch of hate and a ban from the BIS forums. It's situations like these that weaken the modding community, if you would even call it a 'community' after what happened in this thread. Shame.

The point is that he modified and redistrubuted something WITHOUT permission, regardless of having the best intetions or not, he did not have permisison, which most likely means he didn't even have the courtesy to ask Opticalsnare. Because if OS is really done with this mod, he would have given him permission to alter and redistribute it, if he asked, I'm sure of it.

Secondly these rules aren't here because some moderater thought of them one day, these rules have come to be thrue many years of running a community and seeing what works in the long term or not. I understand you might feel that what has happened isn't fair, but it is actually in the best interest of the community, and prevents it from falling apart. That's why you should always, always try to follow them as best you can. What you shouldn't do is break them knowingly, just because you feel like something one person has released isn't right. And it would be kinda rediculous to alter the rules for the entire forum, just for one exception.

I think its great that people try to improve upon each others work, and if OS would've made an official statement that he would no longer continue developing the mod I'd agree with you. But that isn't the case.

Because if OS is really done with this mod, he would have given him permission to alter and redistribute it, if he asked, I'm sure of it.

You will understand that " i'm sure of it " isn't the most convincing argument you could provide. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. According to his reactions and multiple dramas, i got an easier time to assume he won't.

and if OS would've made an official statement that he would no longer continue developing the mod I'd agree with you. But that isn't the case.

No updates since forever. People are sick of waiting an " official statement " and just assume the author is gone. Which is, in all honestly, fair.

Try to do that at work :

I'm not working since the last four months or so, but don't get me wrong i'm not leaving the company, i will finish that important contract one day, if i leave i will make an official statement, so please don't touch, finish, or modify that very important contract at my place.

Guess what ? You get replaced and someone else will finish your work.

I'm sorry but I am 'people' and I'm not sick of waiting. Frankly I'm amazed at the 'brass neck' of some people in here. The mod WILL get updated when OS is ready. Please feel free to uninstall. Our better still, let me download your new 'made from scratch' graphics improver.

I'm sorry but I am 'people' and I'm not sick of waiting. Frankly I'm amazed at the 'brass neck' of some people in here. The mod WILL get updated when OS is ready. Please feel free to uninstall. Our better still, let me download your new 'made from scratch' graphics improver.

I think the point here is that blastcore wasn't "made from scratch". The author cannot change the terms of the license of constituent code.

Then wait another couple of months for nothing if it's your cup of tea. Who am i to judge.

Please feel free to uninstall

Why would i. I will just continue to use this mod and get actual updates from other sources. Not a big deal.

Our better still, let me download your new 'made from scratch' graphics improver.

Blastcore wasn't made from scratch in the slightest, and that's a well known fact. Now, if i had the skill to do such a thing, i would gladly put it back there, edit free.

Edited by Drakenof

Modding without permission isn't illegal, it's only a rule on these forums. HJohnson legally proved that he can do what he wants with it, just at the price of his rights on these forums, of which he is banned. Some of you people are mistaking that his punishment extends past these forums, but you are incorrect.