Sign in to follow this  
upyonder999

Mods won't load from a save game

Do some mods not load with a single player save game?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do some mods not load with a single player save game?

• Yes, one or more mods won't load with a save game.
    • No, I never have this problem.

When I load a save game from a singleplayer scenario my mods usually will not load. For example the ShackTac HUD almost never loads from a saved game. Formski posted a workaround that solves this. Press Numpad Del on the keypad twice (this is mapped to Tactical View in Arma 3). For some reason this works, however TPW_Mods and status_hud are mods where this trick doesn't work. I have never been able to load these mods from a saved game. On the other hand LordJarHead's Jsrs 2.0 sound mod always loads. Never had a problem with it.

This problem only occurs with saved games. On a fresh start of a scenario all mods load correctly, everytime. I use PlayWithSix to install mods and launch the game.

My goal with this poll is to see how widespread this problem is and I hope get a solution. I've seen a number of other posters stating the same problem. If there is enough of us, maybe it will inspire someone with the technical skills to come up with a solution, or at least a workaround. If it's a problem with the mods or the scenarios maybe someone can propose guidelines mod makers and/or mission makers need to follow to ensure mods get loaded from saved games.

Arma is designed for modding. It limits the fun when these mods can't be used.

Edited by UpYonder999

This is and has been an issue. With a little reading you would have found that out(no need for a poll just use the search function). I forget exactly what the problem is, however, a little searching can go along way. no need to get sensitive, i am just saying the answers are out there.

some people think it is CBA.. some people think its the game itself. i forget where and how long ago i read about this but i stopped caring because i never really load saved games... because they never work...

[RANT]

there is a post like this almost EVERY DAY in some thread for a mod (where someone is thinking its the mods fault, or someone saying, that its not any mod in particular..) but instead of looking around for an answer they just clutter up the forum with questions that were literally just asked.

I dont know how to solve the issue i just know that this has been asked on a daily basis ... i wish people would take a little time to look around and just pull up their sleeves and do a little work on their own... I make mistakes and miss posts and ask questions where the answer was just posted but this is a question repeated almost daily... [End RANT]

Edited by Lordprimate

NLSG (NoLoadSavedGame) is an issue since ArmA1 (don´t recall having loading probs with OPF thou), and it is usually caused by a dependancy error - some addon requires another addon or a cfg or hpp file to work properly - and thus prevents the game from reloading saved missions. The common fix is either to disable that said addon, or find the missing dependant addon, hpp or cfg that is missing, but the first option is the easiest fix.

Nowadays I´ve experienced the NLSG with SpeedofSound, A3MP and AiA, so I only load them up when I know I won´t be needing saved games! (I highly doubt CBA could cause it, in fact, the lack of CBA when using a mod/addon dependant on it is what really causes the NLSG =P

This is and has been an issue. With a little reading you would have found that out(no need for a poll just use the search function). I forget exactly what the problem is, however, a little searching can go along way. no need to get sensitive, i am just saying the answers are out there.

some people think it is CBA.. some people think its the game itself. i forget where and how long ago i read about this but i stopped caring because i never really load saved games... because they never work...

[RANT]

there is a post like this almost EVERY DAY in some thread for a mod (where someone is thinking its the mods fault, or someone saying, that its not any mod in particular..) but instead of looking around for an answer they just clutter up the forum with questions that were literally just asked.

I dont know how to solve the issue i just know that this has been asked on a daily basis ... i wish people would take a little time to look around and just pull up their sleeves and do a little work on their own... I make mistakes and miss posts and ask questions where the answer was just posted but this is a question repeated almost daily... [End RANT]

Actually I've done a lot of reading and searching and if the answer is out there, it's not obvious. I submitted a bug report to BIS, which they closed stating it's not their problem. On the CBA forum they state they looked into it, but don't think it's their problem. There are scattered posts around, but nothing with a comprehensive solution that I've found. If there is an answer to this issue it would be nice if it is stated clearly somewhere, like in this thread for example. The workaround mentioned by Formski is the closest thing I've found to an answer, but it doesn't always work.

For a game that heavily uses mods to bring out the best experience, I don't think it's too much to ask that an issue like this gets resolved. I don't understand your attitude at all.

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

;2582344']NLSG (NoLoadSavedGame) is an issue since ArmA1 (don´t recall having loading probs with OPF thou)' date=' and it is usually caused by a dependancy error - some addon requires another addon or a cfg or hpp file to work properly - and thus prevents the game from reloading saved missions. The common fix is either to disable that said addon, or find the missing dependant addon, hpp or cfg that is missing, but the first option is the easiest fix.

Nowadays I´ve experienced the NLSG with SpeedofSound, A3MP and AiA, so I only load them up when I know I won´t be needing saved games! (I highly doubt CBA could cause it, in fact, the lack of CBA when using a mod/addon dependant on it is what really causes the NLSG =P[/quote']

It sounds like you are talking about not being able to reload saved games and play them. I can reload the save game and play it, but the problem is my mods have disappeared. So I don't have all the nice effects of TPW_Mods, for example, but I can still play the mission.

If you disable CBA, no addon dependant on it will work... but I am astonished to the fact you could load up savedgames without CBA activated... but again, without CBA you don´t have the addons that rely on it, so why bother? Just play vanilla arma3 then! (thou some weapons doesn´t need it... I see)

;2582369']If you disable CBA' date=' no addon dependant on it will work... but I am astonished to the fact you could load up savedgames without CBA activated... but again, without CBA you don´t have the addons that rely on it, so why bother? Just play vanilla arma3 then! (thou some weapons doesn´t need it... I see)[/quote']

I haven't ever disabled CBA. I load it along with all the other mods I want, but the other mods don't work from a saved game. I'm sorry, but maybe we are talking about two different things.

Oh I get it... you´re talking about mods that doesn´t load up when you reload a mission (after quitting, as mostly reloads if you just hit load while playing that said mission).. yeah, this issue is specific for ArmA3 and seems to be related to how CBA_A3 works right now, but some disagree and this issue keeps being pushed on (none admits the error, nor BIS, nor CBA gurus, etc)... facepalm trophy to me lol =)

;2582392']Oh I get it... you´re talking about mods that doesn´t load up when you reload a mission (after quitting' date=' as mostly reloads if you just hit load while playing that said mission).. yeah, this issue is specific for ArmA3 and seems to be related to how CBA_A3 works right now, but some disagree and this issue keeps being pushed on (none admits the error, nor BIS, nor CBA gurus, etc)... facepalm trophy to me lol =)[/quote']

No problem! You are right, no one admits the error. It's strange to have all these wonderful mods, but they can't be used in really nice singleplayer dynamic campaigns like BECTI, DUWS, SaOK's missions. These take too long to finish in one sitting. It seems bizarre to me that this hasn't been resolved in all these years, but I'm new around here so maybe I haven't become jaded enough yet.

Are there any mods that are known to not load with save games? I have a sneaking suspicion this issue is what is causing my various frustrations with my DUWS saves...such as AI suddenly getting stupider than usual. If any of my various AI enhancement mods I'm running were not loading, I wouldn't have a surefire way to tell (that I know of).

I use (or try to use) TMR, VTS weaponrest, with the same problem. After reloading, they doesn't work. Today I tried sthud, just to have more experience (since I got Arma3 less than a week ago).

Of course I installed CBA first (I've done my homework ;) ).

Every mod starts to work fine; their logos show up, and after starting a mission, they work as they should: icons, hud appear; ctrl-space (VTS), tab (TMR) are working. When I reload in mission without quitting, they still work.

But if I exit, and resume, they stop, or work partially (sthud starts to show after the mentioned switch to tactical view and back; and TMR weapon rest icon sometimes shows up, sometimes doesn't), but the key commands doesn't work anymore.

All different mods, all use CBA, and the same problem comes up.

(I checked "run as admin" for arma3. Verified the integrity with the steam client. Even reinstalled the whole stuff.)

Are there any mods that are known to not load with save games? I have a sneaking suspicion this issue is what is causing my various frustrations with my DUWS saves...such as AI suddenly getting stupider than usual. If any of my various AI enhancement mods I'm running were not loading, I wouldn't have a surefire way to tell (that I know of).

Status Had is a mod that I've never been able to load from save game. I don't have an example of an ai mod though.

Status HUD is a mod that I've never been able to load from a save game. I don't have an example of an ai mod though.

I use (or try to use) TMR, VTS weaponrest, with the same problem. After reloading, they doesn't work. Today I tried sthud, just to have more experience (since I got Arma3 less than a week ago).

Of course I installed CBA first (I've done my homework ;) ).

Every mod starts to work fine; their logos show up, and after starting a mission, they work as they should: icons, hud appear; ctrl-space (VTS), tab (TMR) are working. When I reload in mission without quitting, they still work.

But if I exit, and resume, they stop, or work partially (sthud starts to show after the mentioned switch to tactical view and back; and TMR weapon rest icon sometimes shows up, sometimes doesn't), but the key commands doesn't work anymore.

All different mods, all use CBA, and the same problem comes up.

(I checked "run as admin" for arma3. Verified the integrity with the steam client. Even reinstalled the whole stuff.)

Blastcore, TPW MODS, and JSRS 2.0 sound are three mods that always work for me from a saved game. TPW speculated that maybe the reason his mod works is because it is stateless, meaning it doesn't store any data or variables. I can see how the other two mods I mentioned are probably stateless as well.

I just have to wonder why this problem can't be fixed so data gets loaded. If I can press a key and ShackTac HUD starts working again, then why can't a key be coded with a function that makes all mods work. I'm not a modder so perhaps I don't appreciate the technical difficulties.

Blastcore, TPW MODS, and JSRS 2.0 sound are three mods that always work for me from a saved game. TPW speculated that maybe the reason his mod works is because it is stateless, meaning it doesn't store any data or variables. I can see how the other two mods I mentioned are probably stateless as well.

I just have to wonder why this problem can't be fixed so data gets loaded. If I can press a key and ShackTac HUD starts working again, then why can't a key be coded with a function that makes all mods work. I'm not a modder so perhaps I don't appreciate the technical difficulties.

How do they work when CBA seems to be the issue? Because Blastcore and JSRS require CBA, and once I enabled that, then I can't load savegames.

I guess the ShackTac HUD starts working again, because entering and exiting tactical view kind of reinitializes the hud elements? So it's not a magic key, it's the mode change.

Somethings funky…. I stuggle all the time with save game issues. Opened a ticket with BIS on this as well related to steam missions. Its annoying...

How do they work when CBA seems to be the issue? Because Blastcore and JSRS require CBA, and once I enabled that, then I can't load savegames.

I think they work because they don't save anything, so nothing to reload from a saved game.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Somethings funky…. I stuggle all the time with save game issues. Opened a ticket with BIS on this as well related to steam missions. Its annoying...

I hope bis takes this seriously. I opened a ticket on this a long time ago and they closed it stating it wasn't their problem.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

I guess the ShackTac HUD starts working again, because entering and exiting tactical view kind of reinitializes the hud elements? So it's not a magic key, it's the mode change.

Yup, I wish there was some function tied to a key press that reinitialized all the mods.

Was this an issue before 1.08?

Mods not loading from saved games has been an issue since Arma 2, unfortunately, which makes me somewhat pessimistic that it will ever get resolved. However, I created this thread hoping to inspire the community to come up with a solution, or at least document in one place what workarounds exist for some of the mods.

-Outlaw's Mag Repack

-STHud

-VTSGesture

-VTSWeaponResting

These are the mods that I remember don't work after loading a savegame. Mostly (STHud not considered) mods that have a certain combination of keys to be activated are not being reloaded. It is, as if Arma does start the savegame with the mods but does not read the necessary informations from the userconfig-folder.

But the Problem was in Arma 2 almost the same. After loading a savegame a couple of addons would just not load. They're written into the savegame-file as dependencies (so you cannot load the savegame without them being active), but they're not working in-game.

I strongly wish for a solution for this problem, as it renders SP missions and campaigns (the official ones included) very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very frustrating.

#edit: very, very, very, very, very frustrating.

Edited by Pergor

If any of you use the Status HUD mod, here's a solution to it not loading from saved games. It's in post # 43, part 3 at this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168558-Status-Hud/page5 or see this snippet from that post here

3 - edit UI\HUD.sqf so it can be called as a function. Bonus feature: fix the problem where the HUD stops working when resuming a saved game:

Replace this

Code:

sleep 0.005;

[] spawn ICE_HUD;

with

Code:

[] spawn {

waitUntil {!isNil "BIS_fnc_init"};

while {true} do

{

_h = [] spawn ICE_HUD;

waitUntil {sleep 1; scriptDone _h}; // Wait for save-then-resume

};

};

true

Also in post # 50 Killswitch describes further why mods often don't work with saved games.

Here's what he says:

No. It is not caused by CBA. It is due to the the status HUD addon running a script that has dialog-related variables. When a game is saved, any and all spawned scripts that have variables referencing GUI items will stop. The fix for this problem can be seen in step 3 in post #43 above. One has to detect a save-then-reload and then re-launch the "ICE_HUD" thread.

More background reading: loadable permanent GUI? http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153884-loadable-permanent-GUI

More formally expressed by Str in disableSerialization: "Scope with disabled serialization is discontinued after load, even if there's endless loop inside."

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableSerialization

I'm not a modder nor programmer so these readings are a bit technical for me. If I understand it correctly, loading mods from a saved game should work if the mod creator writes the code to detect a save then reload.

So the bottom line is that it's up to the mod creator to get this code into their mods.

Modder Outlawled has come to our rescue with the following mod! I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, but others are reporting it works. I hope this is the end of the very annoying problem of mods not loading from saved games.

Moduload — Save-Game Mod Initializer

Hey, guys. This is a small mod that adds a button to the bottom right of the Escape Menu which, when pressed, runs the initialization code for any addon that uses CBA's Extended Pre/Post-Init EventHandlers for its initialization, allowing players to reinitialize their mods after loading a save-game.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?172827-Moduload-%E2%80%94-Save-Game-Mod-Initializer

Modder Outlawled has come to our rescue with the following mod! I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, but others are reporting it works. I hope this is the end of the very annoying problem of mods not loading from saved games.

Moduload — Save-Game Mod Initializer

Hey, guys. This is a small mod that adds a button to the bottom right of the Escape Menu which, when pressed, runs the initialization code for any addon that uses CBA's Extended Pre/Post-Init EventHandlers for its initialization, allowing players to reinitialize their mods after loading a save-game.

Thank you so much for bringing this up! For me it works to re-initialise STHud and TMR autorest, so I will be able to play the campaign properly again :). One important catch: It will only work for missions which were started with moduload enabled, so you may have to restart a mission to use it later.

Hi All,

Sorry to jump in on an old post but I can't create a new one for the life of me (just made this account) and I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread who needs help.

I'm having an issue with an A3 mod dependency, specifically "ace sitting", which is causing a saved mission I've been working on to not open.
I've attempted to removed the dependency manually from the mission.sqm, both by deleting all mods from the addOns line, as well as only "ace sitting".
From what I've read, this should work. However, when I open Arma 3 again to load the file it no longer appears in the saved missions list (I saved copies before I edited anything).
I believe the mission may be binarized; I have a cursory understanding that this may have super-screwed my chances of recovering the mission.

I am loading the mission with all appropriate mods selected in Arma 3's front-end user interface, including ACE. So, I'm thinking the ACE team has made an amendment to their "ace sitting" module in an update
since I last worked on the mission, which has caused all this to go toes-up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because of the amount of hours I've put into this mission (one I was working on for the OPTRE community featuring a meticulously constructed UNSC environment).

Cheers all

I experienced the same problem when I did my mod : MGI tactical Pack . There are plenty of cases you have to cope with, like team switch not to say respawn. But saving game is the worst, probably.

It's not due to CBA but arma's engine concept. At least, what I discovered so far, save/load game "kills" some event handlers process.

What you need to do, If you want to recover them (like custom keys thru displayAddEventHandler "keydown") is to use the specific EH "loaded".

here is my example:

if (!isMultiplayer && isNil "savingKeys")    then {
    savingKeys = addMissionEventHandler ["Loaded",{
      if (_this == "continue") then {
      [] spawn {
        waituntil {!isNull (findDisplay 46)};
        uisleep 0.5;
        if (isnil "keys") then {keys =  (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["keyDown", "_this call TP_keys"]};
      }
    }
    }]
};