Sign in to follow this  
mr pedersen

NEW Visitor for A3!?

Oh BIS you made ZeroG blush, prepare for sexy time.

PS I'm very much enjoying the new tools, hopefully they bring about an influx of map makers.

Yeah thanks a lot BIS! :)

Anyone know if 8192 terrain grid is supported by Arma3? I see we're able to choose this now.

Currently I'm working on a 4096 x 5.5m = 22528 terrain, but I have heightmap resolution of 1.6, so I'm actually able to run 8192 x 2.75m = 22528, if Arma3 can handle it.

now to try and figure out how to import sattelite imagery.

Hint.... Save your sat image as tiff (lzw compression) works alot faster. Then just drag and drop it to the mapframe.

Well the Skype Terrainguys channel has been full of excitement since Terrain Builder arrived - everybodys been trying out different things and figuring out what everythings for and what works and what doesn't...

Theres a basic VBS2-version Visitor 4 guide which was linked to previously - I'll link to it again below - if you ignore anything to do with "Landbuilder" then most of the rest of the basic info is vaguely applicable. I'm fairly familiar with that version of Visitor 4 and Terrain Builder shares quite a few features - though it has some variations on how things work, and some exciting new features, such as a "6 colours per segment" option for Arma 2 maps, and an even more interesting "5 colours per segment plus Terrain Normals layer" option...

Landbuilder and it's scripts suite are understandably missing, but the new "fill polygon with objects" option has had M1lkm8n excited and busy loading huge numbers of trees in and out to see how that aspect of things stands up in practise... Looks to be a very useful option!

There seem to be a few immediate snags - there's occasional crashes when doing certain operations, buldozer sometimes doesn't seem to work "out-of-the-box" with just a basic Default P:\ install, but in general theres a whole new world of V4-inspired or unique-BI options to fool with... It's likely to take some time before our understanding is complete enough to tackle writing a decently comprehensive guide, though no doubt as soom as we've mastered the basic functions and got a few basic maps successfully built, there'll be a "quickstart" tut or two will appear to help people get started...

Expect to feel a little noobish at first - TB is a whole quantum leap more complex than 'ol V3 and even if you have some prior V4 experience, getting to grips with TB's unique blend of features will involve some learning, and relearning....

*edit*

Visitor 4 Manual - Some Parts Are Worth Reading (Until something more TB-specific turns up)

B

Can you explain Landbuilder in more detail so we can understand what is missing from Terrainbuilder features? And how the pros and cons for Landbuilder vs. Terrainbuilder. Thanks.

Can you explain Landbuilder in more detail so we can understand what is missing from Terrainbuilder features? And how the pros and cons for Landbuilder vs. Terrainbuilder. Thanks.

Landbuilder is used with V4. It has a number of different modules that can help with terrain creation. For example, there is one that makes forests, one that generates buildings (although not up to our standards), one that will place buildings on polys, one that creates road pieces, and several others. For the most part they use polygons, paths, or points.

There is a way to make forests in terrainbuilder so we have that feature. I feel like the landbuilder one is probably a bit better though. The road piece one we kind of have too and actually it is a better version of the one in landbuilder really with the exception of we havent figured out how to view them in buldozer yet or if that is even possible. Beyond that though I feel like that is all we got from it. There are a few other things involving paths but I haven't fully explored them. This is a step up from V3 though once you get everything set up. And once the objects become usable in Terrain Builder... if that happens.