Sign in to follow this  
mr pedersen

NEW Visitor for A3!?

So is this Visitor 4 or something completely different?

More than likely it's visitor 4 rebranded due to legal issues and possible stripped of a few things.

More than likely it's visitor 4 rebranded due to legal issues and possible stripped of a few things.
Pretty much my guess. It's possible that BI didn't get permission from the licensor, which was what BI previously identified as the reason for a lack of a public Visitor 4 release -- V4 was using licensed tech.

I hate to be that guy but am I the only one whose ArmA 3 Tools haven't yet asked to be updated on Steam?

Please ignore, I confused Thursday with Tuesday. *facepalm*

Edited by FreakJoe

Wow thinking that we may be standing in front of a new era in terrain making from tomorrow :)

Visitor 3 is from 2009, something new must have been added :)

Screenshot from V4:

http://s29.postimg.org/rp12iec1z/image.png

Overview PDF of V4:

http://distribution.bisimulations.com/media/docs/Visitor4_leaflet_preview.pdf

Edited by EgilSandfeld

Wow thinking that we may be standing in front of a new era in terrain making from tomorrow :)

Visitor 3 is from 2009, something new must have been added :)

Yes I cant wait. I wonder if its 5 years worth of tools...

Has the community had any insight into what will be in the package previous to this? I wonder what the original build before all the legal huffuf looked like vs the one we will get. Im just excited at the fact that people have recently been actively developing the tool recently and perhaps we will see some willingness to implement community suggestions.

Its out.. If its not in your A3 tool, close it and re-run the tool and it should be there :-)

Its out.. If its not in your A3 tool, close it and re-run the tool and it should be there :-)

When you right click on arma 3 tools and go to properties -> beta, what is that licensed_data_packages for? (22GB download)

http://prntscr.com/32j5yj

Okay, how to import PEW with roads?

I can import the WRP with all objects, but there's no actually road network, just single objects.

Edited by Dead Kennedy

When you right click on arma 3 tools and go to properties -> beta, what is that licensed_data_packages for? (22GB download)

http://prntscr.com/32j5yj

That was there before today's update, so not related, no idea what it is though.

Is it me or does the performance of the terrain builder completely suck? My CPU usage of the application is constantly peaking at 17 % (1 full core) and it's unresponsive as hell. Importing a simple sat map locked up my computer. Memory usage was only 40 MB too (I have 16 GB ram).

It would be really useful if someone could make some quick tutorial about how to set-up and configure the new "Terrain Builder" properly, maybe with some small map tutorial, because it is not completely clear from that BI Sim. documentation.

Thanks.

Okay, how to import PEW with roads?

I can import the WRP with all objects, but there's no actually road network, just single objects.

From the guide linked earlier:

Note; as of Visitor 4 (v2.11) .pew files can no longer be imported.

Also, I suspect roads show "as objects" due to roads being handled with shape files now.

I had a quick play before work this morning, certainly looks much more pleasing than Visitor 3 - however tried to import a previously created XYZ file only for it to error.

It would be really useful if someone could make some quick tutorial about how to set-up and configure the new "Terrain Builder" properly, maybe with some small map tutorial

Might take a few days for one to appear....

tried to import a previously created XYZ file only for it to error.

If you define a default mapframe first and then cancel out you should then be able to import or drag in an .xyz or .asc heightmap... the mapframe will be the wrong size probably, but you can then set that properly once the heightmap is in...

** A few aspects ARE currently dodgy it seems - the otherwise Pretty Funky "automatic config creator and surfaces definer" tool creates the config successfully, but crashes midway thru writing the layers.cfg...

There's a few other oddities as well, all currently being noted for posting as bug reports...

PS...

Note; as of Visitor 4 (v2.11) .pew files can no longer be imported.

This is Terrain Builder, not Visitor 4 ;) - .pew (and .wrp) import fine, with the usual pre-that_quote Visitor 4 limitations... Objects are categorised into the Templates library as either "circle" or "rectangle" (natural or artificial) and roads are imported as a separate basic objects category too...

The heightmap WILL be imported and added as a "mapframe heightfield", but Satellite & Mask files aren't imported or retrieved....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

If you define a default mapframe first and then cancel out you should then be able to import or drag in an .xyz or .asc heightmap... the mapframe will be the wrong size probably, but you can then set that properly once the heightmap is in...

Ah, thank you - I will try soon (eagerly waiting all day at work to go home and play around with it :jump_clap:).

It would be really useful if someone could make some quick tutorial about how to set-up and configure the new "Terrain Builder" properly, maybe with some small map tutorial, because it is not completely clear from that BI Sim. documentation.

Thanks.

https://twitter.com/Lathspel/status/446685593712754688

I hope this helps, the Terrain Builder is set the same way as our Environment artists use it. If You find some better setup, feel free to let us know :icon_twisted:

for dummis like me , i hope we will see little step by steb video toturials on you-tube from the cracks here :cool:

Might take a few days for one to appear....

Well, hopefully it will come from you, because to be honest, I am completely lost in this tool...and its been a few years since I last opened Visitor 3. :D

BIS. great surprise! now to try and figure out how to import sattelite imagery.

thanks!

PS - dont forget bipods. But youre surpirsing us nicely these days so hope is high

Well the Skype Terrainguys channel has been full of excitement since Terrain Builder arrived - everybodys been trying out different things and figuring out what everythings for and what works and what doesn't...

Theres a basic VBS2-version Visitor 4 guide which was linked to previously - I'll link to it again below - if you ignore anything to do with "Landbuilder" then most of the rest of the basic info is vaguely applicable. I'm fairly familiar with that version of Visitor 4 and Terrain Builder shares quite a few features - though it has some variations on how things work, and some exciting new features, such as a "6 colours per segment" option for Arma 2 maps, and an even more interesting "5 colours per segment plus Terrain Normals layer" option...

Landbuilder and it's scripts suite are understandably missing, but the new "fill polygon with objects" option has had M1lkm8n excited and busy loading huge numbers of trees in and out to see how that aspect of things stands up in practise... Looks to be a very useful option!

There seem to be a few immediate snags - there's occasional crashes when doing certain operations, buldozer sometimes doesn't seem to work "out-of-the-box" with just a basic Default P:\ install, but in general theres a whole new world of V4-inspired or unique-BI options to fool with... It's likely to take some time before our understanding is complete enough to tackle writing a decently comprehensive guide, though no doubt as soom as we've mastered the basic functions and got a few basic maps successfully built, there'll be a "quickstart" tut or two will appear to help people get started...

Expect to feel a little noobish at first - TB is a whole quantum leap more complex than 'ol V3 and even if you have some prior V4 experience, getting to grips with TB's unique blend of features will involve some learning, and relearning....

*edit*

Visitor 4 Manual - Some Parts Are Worth Reading (Until something more TB-specific turns up)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

So is this Visitor 4 or something completely different?

Looks very much like Visitor 4 to me, especially since at one point I encountered an error that references VBS2.