Sign in to follow this  
I34dKarma

Arma 3 FSM Scripting Overides Default Unit Behaviour?

I tried out the FSM editor and was able to make some pretty nice and simple FSMs in a pretty short amount of time. Where the problem occurs is it seems to override the default behavior for the unit the FSM was executed on. If I run an FSM the unit no longer would recognize targets at all react to fire ect. My understanding was that FSMs would enhance the base behavior not override it.

In a search I did find an old topic but I think it left me more confused.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?106005-native-and-scripted-FSMs-Override&highlight=FSM+Scripting

Any input on the subject would be appreciated or any links to a working tutorails would also be of use. I did find Xeno's blog subject about FSMs which helped but seems like there might be more on the subject out there then I can find.

Thanks

Edited by I34dKarma

Afaik, fsm can be executed within three kinds of priorities, From top to bottom is dofsm, commandfsm and execfsm.

Dofsm will overwrite units’ default behavior and ignore any squard’s command until the status complete, that’s the reason why it’s recommended to use lower leveled unit’s control command like move and movecomplete instead of domove, dostop etc cuz they will never lead the state end.

Commandfsm and execfsm won’t be so interceptive while still be aware of the commands you use, higher leveled command make sense in either fsm or sqf.

Thanks for the info I will have to take a look at how I was executing the FSM, I might need to try a doFSM instead of execFSM.

Update: I just to the script out of the FSM and ran it normally and the default unit behavior is still broken. Guess this means its not in the FSM it self. I think the issue comes from the using of doMove move mainly to get a single unit to move to a position.

Update 2(Solved Original Problem): Found the problem, I set the unit behavior to careless. While this works great for civ units setting that for opfor units will pretty much break their behavior. The only thing they will do is throw a grenade on occasion.

I have a completed FSM that I am running on multiple units, to my understand that doFSM was the way to go. It will work but it seems to have an issue on FPS. While looking at doFSM in general it can be called with multiple units but how will that work.

Right now this is how I am calling the FSM on the unit

_unit doFSM ["BuildingPatrol.fsm",[1,1],_building];

Inside the FSM I had to do _units select 0, so will the FSM its self run through each unit that I list when the doFSM is called?

Edited by I34dKarma
Update on problem