Sign in to follow this  
bracer

Minihattan Island

Working hard on finding solutions to the performance now!

The big open buildings are quite empty, so I have my doubts it would matter alot to close them.

But I will see what can be done.

It seems a big problem is the distant Lods, standing close to the buildings is no problem,

but looking across the park to the buildings in the distance is horrible for the fps.

I did alot of work removing unnecessary polys, unfortunatly it didn't help performance the slightest.

But the Lod switching is alot better which maybe caused a new performance drop.

Next, I will take a look at how the textures are handled and redo it properly, hopefully with UV-maps.

If that doesn't work, I will look at making the buildings simpler.

Cheers!

Working hard on finding solutions to the performance now!

The big open buildings are quite empty, so I have my doubts it would matter alot to close them.

But I will see what can be done.

It seems a big problem is the distant Lods, standing close to the buildings is no problem,

but looking across the park to the buildings in the distance is horrible for the fps.

I did alot of work removing unnecessary polys, unfortunatly it didn't help performance the slightest.

But the Lod switching is alot better which maybe caused a new performance drop.

Next, I will take a look at how the textures are handled and redo it properly, hopefully with UV-maps.

If that doesn't work, I will look at making the buildings simpler.

Cheers!

The buildings may be empty, especially the large glass buildings, but it's not so much that they have things in them, as it is the geometry that you see of the building becomes WAY more complex when you can see everything inside it as opposed to just an outer wall or something.

I would also recommend that some buildings have two enterance/exits if nothing else so tactically speaking they can be used to duck inside and evade enemies.

I would say try Sauerland if you haven't already. Its made for Dayz (which I don't play), but it lends itself really well to A2. There are some serious size cities x3 (proper size cities, unlike Cherno's town size), plus the terrain is 25x25km based on a German region and has just about everything needed for good combat urban or open. Also it performs really well.

Don't want to derail the thread but thought I would say.

Minihattan is a godsend for urban, although still very much wip, as is Sauerland. These are much needed terrains for that urban type conflict where you want to roam a little and not leave the city limits too early, as is the problem with Cherno ones (too small).

Looks good, I'm going to mess around with it as I have some free time.

Thanks again for sending us the updated version :cool:

Updated release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Oh wow! I just had a chance to check out 0.2.2 a bit and was going to leave some comments, but I'll check out the new version first!

Just some random suggestions:

1. Building Lods, I think what you should do is try to make the 2nd LOD or 3rd LOD load sooner, and have it be almost identically complex on the outside, and inside any rooms that are visible through windows, and then have NO detail for the interior of the buildings at all.

2. For furniture, you might want to think about using config town generator to populate furniture as people move around. Just an idea.

3. You might want to make this map (or a variant of it) have a locked view distance and some sort of constant inclement weather to aid FPS

This map, locked at 2-3k view distance with some nice ground fog, air haze, and cloud layer would make for a REALLY dramatic environment.

Thanks for the suggestions CiforDayZServer!

1. All of the buildings that have interiors (stairs or walls) are setup like this. But many buildings are totally empty, so the 2nd LoD is affecting the exteriors for now.

Have alot of job to do on the LoDs, but it will follow your advice.

2. Will think about that, but how would it perform to having the interiors as a proxy in the buildings first LoD? It should act similarly right?

3. I think each and everyone has to adjust their setting according to their performance or leave it to mission builders to decide VD,

I guess most people are aware of how much viewdistance affects the fps.

But it is true, foggy weather and low VD both looks good on the map and helps performance.

Thanks again for the feedback mate!

There's a definite FPS increase, not quite enough that I think I could play flashpoint with it, but the improvement is remarkable.

Having flown around it, I will say that I think there's still an excessively high number of fully accessible buildings.

This is just my recommendation, but I would seriously consider creating two different versions of your map, one that is full fidelity, with the current number it has, but also one that has duplicates of the same buildings, ones that are fully enterable and ones that aren't or are limited for the sake of performance.

You could easily half the number of fully vacant buildings and still have a great experience with this, it would really come down to how strategically placed the empty buildings were to break up the pattern of enterable vs non enterable ones.

That being said, it's coming along really well.

Edited by Pd3

Hey guys!

I just got back from vacation, ready to work on 0.4.

Good to hear it performs better!

I agree Pd3, I have to create alot of buildings, both closed and enterable, and then find a nice balance on the map!

Stay tuned, and keep the ideas coming!

Cheers

Sounding great! Do you plan on just keeping it as a high-rise map, or do you plan to expand into suburban areas?

Also, this i what I would love to recreate with your map:

now if only the AI were easier to place and would make use of those buildings better :( Edited by Kaxii

The idea for this map is awesome! I've been messing around in it and I know it's not done, but I've got some questions.

1. Is there a way to get AI controlled helis to not to run into the buildings?

2. Is there a way to get AI controlled helis to land on top of one of the skyscrapers?

3. Is this something that will be made available as the map progresses?

Thanks!

Hey!

I don't know how to make pilots see the buildings.

Hopefully I'll find a way.

To get the AI to land on the roofs probably have to require a scripted feature by missionbuilders/scripters.

Thanks for continuing work on this as you can, it really does have tremendous potential.

Something I've been wanting to add for a long time. Probably the second most important detail next to signs and neonlights.

2XaaLYTBhgzg62fBRwL8AgNq90sPDfFyPjC6MToE=w1212-h732-no

2.jpg

Thanks!

I haven't worked much on AI paths since version 0.3, so it's pretty much the same.

In otherwords, some buildings have paths and positions for AI, some not.

Great stuff Bracer! Is the A2 version continue to be updated too?

Yes, A2 will get a new update aswell. I cannot give any date yet though.

Finally! Sorry for the delay.

But here is the v0.5.3 for A2!

-Improved the exterior of the mall upper floors

-Removed shadows (temporarly until I figure them out)

-Stopped buildings from falling through the ground

-Added few interiors

-Testing destruction on Hotel

-Fixed missing texture

-Plenty of new buildings

-Greatly improved visuals

-Changed the sidewalks

-New reflections from the windows

-Reduced the amount of the ugly buildings

-Better config files

-Optimized some buildings and their geoLods

-Added a hidden experimental bonus...

Get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8291078/Bracers_Minihattan053_A2.zip

Cheers!

/Bracer