LordJarhead

J.S.R.S. 2.2 Soundmod

Can someone explain to me how running JSRS can slow server performance? My server does not run or know what JSRS is, I just have server keys available for it so clients can use it if they wish. I see a lot of people saying it "can" cause problems but I have yet to see details. Running servers now for over 4 years I have not seen it cause problems in the past.

Edited by SpanishSurfer

Can someone explain to me how running JSRS can slow server performance? My server does not run or know what JSRS is, I just have server keys available for it so clients can use it if they wish. I see a lot of people saying it "can" cause problems but I have yet to see details. Running servers now for over 4 years I have not seen it cause problems in the past.

I'm in the same boat. My server does not have the mod enable but I have the Key on it... so basically if you are client and want to use it you can.

How can this affect the server if the mod is running on client side?

Cool, I didnt know that. Does that apply to CBA too or does that have to be run server side also?

I think CBA has to be on the server as well.

Well since I for myself never really play multiplayer with JSRS I dont give a damn about reddit posts. I dont made the mod for people to play multiplayer with it, for that reason there are other mods better than JSRS due to the scripting and what ever other points Nou brought up. The mod has been made for the audiophile players who just dont care so much about an FPS drop or what so ever. And improving JSRS is to most people already impossible to imagine. Sure there is always plenty of room for improvements but tbh, I really could care less sometimes :)

Not saying I wont work on JSRS further, I will! I just made the new Truck, heh. Actually trying out some new things and basic ideas I have. So the performance will be decreasing even more maybe^^ The new Truck3 has 41 sound effects and lays around 40~ MB just for audio size. Actually trying to see where I can go with this, and where I will come to an point the game will bring up borders ...

LJ

Hey Jarhead,

Just an Idea, but: M

Maybe you could create an Symbol, If an Mission "needs" your Addon cause of its good and believeable Soundenvironment (Intense Firefights, Many Explosions etc.).

It could be named.

"Sounds best with J.S.R.S"

Well since I for myself never really play multiplayer with JSRS I dont give a damn about reddit posts. I dont made the mod for people to play multiplayer with it, for that reason there are other mods better than JSRS due to the scripting and what ever other points Nou brought up. The mod has been made for the audiophile players who just dont care so much about an FPS drop or what so ever. And improving JSRS is to most people already impossible to imagine. Sure there is always plenty of room for improvements but tbh, I really could care less sometimes :)

Not saying I wont work on JSRS further, I will! I just made the new Truck, heh. Actually trying out some new things and basic ideas I have. So the performance will be decreasing even more maybe^^ The new Truck3 has 41 sound effects and lays around 40~ MB just for audio size. Actually trying to see where I can go with this, and where I will come to an point the game will bring up borders ...

LJ

Still it does not answer the question I made.

How a mod that is not running in the server could affect it's performance.

Can you please explain if your mod can actually impact the server that does not have the mod running but is accepting players with the mod ?

Have been using the mod now for like a week, really gave the game a fresh new sound to it (duh!). Really love the sounds of the choppers.

Still it does not answer the question I made.

How a mod that is not running in the server could affect it's performance.

Can you please explain if your mod can actually impact the server that does not have the mod running but is accepting players with the mod ?

This mod won't directly affect SERVER performance; you can check this my logging in as admin in game while on the server and type "#monitor" without the quotes in the chat field. It will however affect client performance, as JSRS appears to use several scripts to determine which sounds should be played and when. This can lend to the perception of lower performance on the client end, and they may try to blame the server, but you can assure them that the issue is squarely on the client side.

This mod won't directly affect SERVER performance; you can check this my logging in as admin in game while on the server and type "#monitor" without the quotes in the chat field. It will however affect client performance, as JSRS appears to use several scripts to determine which sounds should be played and when. This can lend to the perception of lower performance on the client end, and they may try to blame the server, but you can assure them that the issue is squarely on the client side.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes I do use monitor extensibly and I don't see any issue.

Not to nit pick but the actual server-side effect is the amount of RPT logging and messages from the client to the server, not running the mod on the server itself isn't really relevant as the server doesn't need to access the sound files. The negative impact comes in the form of the amount of messages the clients send the server. As I said before, you could probably negate this slightly by running -nologs on the server, however the client will still be sending the messages, the server just won't write them out to a log.

Running #monitor is not enough to ensure you're server is running correctly, you should be reviewing the log files regularly.

Edit: Check your server .rpt log and look for JSRS messages, you'll have a lot.

We have server keys for JSRS and SOS and my RPT files are always clean. Server runs like a champ. Yes, -nologs is turned on.

...your rpt file is clean because you have -nologs turned on

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Thanks for this mod LJ, used it since A2 and can't play ArmA without it!

Great work.

Can we expect a change of the main canon sound of the whipeout to the sound of the GAU-8 avenger of an A-10C? This would make those CAS runs in Zeus SO (SO with a legendary underlining) much cooler and since its a futuristic new version of the gun that does not exist it might as well have the same sound as the GAU-8 :)

Not to nit pick but the actual server-side effect is the amount of RPT logging and messages from the client to the server, not running the mod on the server itself isn't really relevant as the server doesn't need to access the sound files. The negative impact comes in the form of the amount of messages the clients send the server. As I said before, you could probably negate this slightly by running -nologs on the server, however the client will still be sending the messages, the server just won't write them out to a log.

Running #monitor is not enough to ensure you're server is running correctly, you should be reviewing the log files regularly.

Yes I know... that why I say... there is log event related to JSRS in the server side and also I use server monitoring tool for Arma...

I ran a server with SOS and JSRS keys with this mods active ASR AI/CBA/TFAR and the server with 300+ AIs still ran at 47 CPS without any problem. With 40 players. Using from VTS to MCC and also now with Zeus.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Can you please explain to me where it says that the client will push the logs events from the client to the server?

Just wondering anyone else experienced this weird behaviour with JSRS 2.1 and the latest A3 dev builds: if there are distant vehicles (aircraft/cars/boats) you'll hear their quiet distant sounds as per normal. If you pause the game for whatever reason and then unpause it, the distant sounds now play at full volume, and never stop. This doesn't happen with JSRS disabled, and does happen with no other mods but JSRS.

I'm hoping it's not just a quirk of my setup, because it's very annoying pausing/unpausing the game for development purposes.

Just wondering anyone else experienced this weird behaviour with JSRS 2.1 and the latest A3 dev builds: if there are distant vehicles (aircraft/cars/boats) you'll hear their quiet distant sounds as per normal. If you pause the game for whatever reason and then unpause it, the distant sounds now play at full volume, and never stop. This doesn't happen with JSRS disabled, and does happen with no other mods but JSRS.

I'm hoping it's not just a quirk of my setup, because it's very annoying pausing/unpausing the game for development purposes.

more a quirk of the latest dev build I'm hoping. For such reasons I only support the stable build since thats something I know it can not change any minute/update.

LJ

more a quirk of the latest dev build I'm hoping. For such reasons I only support the stable build since thats something I know it can not change any minute/update.

LJ

Fair enough LJ! Here's hoping they release a new stable build so you can get to work on it :)

Thanks again for all your work on this incredible mod.

Fair enough LJ! Here's hoping they release a new stable build so you can get to work on it :)

Thanks again for all your work on this incredible mod.

You'r welcome :) Thanks for the kind words!

LJ

I noticed distance sounds seem to be much louder when in spectator/a camera

Yeah its a scripting thing. Not sure how to fix that since I'm not a scripter. Gonna look into it though :)

LJ

I think it can not be fixed, because of "say3d" command - it change sound's volume when in spectator.

Yeah its a scripting thing. Not sure how to fix that since I'm not a scripter. Gonna look into it though :)

LJ

I'm not too sure, it seems to be a very recent thing as it never happened in the earlier versions and from what I can see, the stuff that would effect this hasn't really changed since then.

Maybe it's an engine bug where say3d isnt behaving the way it should

edit:

I think it can not be fixed, because of "say3d" command - it change sound's volume when in spectator.

Yeah it seems that way... there's some alternatives to say3d (like playsound3d) but they come with their own set of issues