LordJarhead

J.S.R.S. 2.2 Soundmod

I think this is to simulate the fact that sound is effected by the position of the observer. With weapons fire, the sound wave is emitted from the muzzle, so standing right behind the gun has a very different sound than to someone beside or in front of it. It's not a perfect system, but it works well given the abilities of the engine.

Of course, I'm no expert.

Yes you are right, tho I did not tried to simulate that kinda effect. Tho I wanted to have a clear difference in first and third person sounds. And there it is. I liked it the way it is.

Not sure how well JSRS works with other mods, as I always design my mods to work well with the vanilla Game only. I can't try to cover all mods, that would be too much. But after all I think its working out the way it is.

LJ

Yes you are right, tho I did not tried to simulate that kinda effect. Tho I wanted to have a clear difference in first and third person sounds. And there it is. I liked it the way it is.

Not sure how well JSRS works with other mods, as I always design my mods to work well with the vanilla Game only. I can't try to cover all mods, that would be too much. But after all I think its working out the way it is.

LJ

Ah, danke ^^

So, okay. Would it be possible then to change the sounds, mean that the sounds when firing in 3rd Person change to when Scoping/Aiming down sight and the regular sounds from 1st Person goes to 3rd person?

Ah, danke ^^

So, okay. Would it be possible then to change the sounds, mean that the sounds when firing in 3rd Person change to when Scoping/Aiming down sight and the regular sounds from 1st Person goes to 3rd person?

Bitte :)

Well I know there is a way to have even different sound when aiming down the sight, but actually that would require further scripting. The effort would be greater than the effect in the end. Not sure if that would worth it. And as stated, I'm not really into changing anything on JSRS anymore. Trying to keep this bug free and fix what I can to have a smooth running soundmod here. And to be able to take this sound mod as a basic plattform for my new future plans :)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

...for my new future planes :)

I don't know if this is a clue, or a spelling mistake xD

I don't know if this is a clue, or a spelling mistake xD

Yikes, a spelling mistake obviously :P

LJ

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

BTW, check this out: JSRS: DragonFyre

:P

I mentioned before the saving feature is broken, turns out its working OK with latest version. I might have had a custom file added to addon folder so not sure what happened. Thanks and sorry for any confusion

Hi LJ, i experimented a bit on my own on having sound for straight cut gears (which are used in basically all military vehicles)

this is what i came up with so far

references

//LowFrequency Frequence= 580Hz. Good audible Range 200[0rpm]-750Hz[max rpm]

///Final Gear  - not dependant on rpm/ gearbox status
	class Gear_FinalDrive{sound[]={"\k40_v_chimera\Vehicles\Chimera\Sound\LowFrequency",1.25,1,400};
	frequency="0.345+( ((-speed) max speed)/45)";
	volume="engineOn*(speed factor [1,5])";
	};
	class Gear_FinalDriveQui{sound[]={"\k40_v_chimera\Vehicles\Chimera\Sound\LowFrequency",1.25,1,400}; //one quint higher
	frequency="(0.345+( ((-speed) max speed)/45))*1.4983"; //
	volume="engineOn*(speed factor [1,5])";
	};

///idle rpm factored in  |idle rpm=700;->200Hz  |full rpm=2640;->750Hz
	/// 580Hz * 0.345 = 200Hz | 580Hz * 1.345 = 780Hz  |  580Hz ~ D5 (tone according to audacity)
	/// equation->  [1]:  200Hz= f_base* 0.345 = f_base * ((rpm_idle/2640) * y + x)
	///				[2]:  780Hz= f_base* 1.345 = f_base * ( 1* y + x)
	///+Terz=*1.189 ; +Quart=*1.335; +Quint=*1.498
	///-Terz=*0.841 ; -Quart=*0.749; -Quint=*0.667

//Gearbox sound
	class GearSound{sound[]={"\k40_v_chimera\Vehicles\Chimera\Sound\LowFrequency",0.75,1,400};
	frequency="(rpm/2640)*1.368-0.023"; //for rpm dependant gears
	volume="engineOn*( ((-speed)max speed) factor [0,2]) * (rpm factor [710, 800]) * (thrust factor [0.05,0.1])";
	};
	class GearSoundQuartM{sound[]={"\k40_v_chimera\Vehicles\Chimera\Sound\LowFrequency",0.75,1,400}; //one quart lower
	frequency="((rpm/2640)*1.368-0.023)*0.749"; //for rpm dependant gears
	volume="engineOn*( ((-speed)max speed) factor [0,2])  * (rpm factor [710, 800]) * (thrust factor [0.05,0.1])";
	};

Soundfile (made from first reference)

Maybe it's of use to you, you can use it if you wish.

Unfortunately it seems as if its not possible to have the gear number as a source for frequency/volume. Maybe ill open a ticket for that.

Good work, however in my opinion, much too much gear noise... Tanks and armour make much more "Roar" noise than that; from their exhaust... Gearbox sound is very much secondary... Unless you've got your ear right against the Gearbox ?

How do I know ? I've Driven Chieftains, Abbots SPGs, FV432's etc.... All 70's and 80's Kit LOADS of awesome engine noise and Air-induction noise. Nothing like that Turbo Nissan I guarantee.

Remember on a Car the Transmission and Gear train is right under the passenger cabin in most cases so you will hear a lot more meshing.

Tanks, sound much more like diesel locomotives... than race cars :-)

SJ

In many APC's the engine and gearbox are basically right next to the ear of the driver. With gearboxes on the front, its the main thing you hear when a vehicle is approaching.The exhaust is also very loud, that is true, but it is very directional (mostly to the back). If you stand in front of the vehicle you hear it way less. The whine of the gearbox is transmitted through the entire vehicle as vibration (vibrations above 80Hz will produce noise). Of course it depends on the vehicle. On MBT's you hear their powerfull engines way more, so the gearwhine becomes less prevalent. Many MBT's have the gearbox right next to the engine, which drowns the sound at low speeds. I took the car for the sample because its usually impossible to get a clear sample for the gear sound on tank recordings. (besides, most tank vids have stupid music on them).

Here's 2 FV432's examples for you where you clearly hear the gearwhine as the main form of noise. That sound is neither the cooling fan nor the turbo or the engine, its the gearbox.

If you ride in it yourself, all the noise blends together, and the bass stands out to you the most. Not because it is necessarily the loudest thing, but because you feel the vibration of it inside your body, amplifying its "presence".

other tanks/apc

Here is a good example how directional the sound behaves - first you hear the gearbox when its approaching, then cooling unit+ exhaust when you see it from the side/back. When it returns its gearbox+tires again

I'm not sure if such directional sound can be created with the configs.

If you pay attention you can hear it in all military vehicles. Its just one of those sounds you do not notice until someone actually points it out. Normally you just accept it as 'ambient noise' of a vehicle.

Obviously the recording quality of those vids is low, so the whine is more pronounced over the booming engine/exhaust sound.

Edited by Fennek

In many APC's the engine and gearbox are basically right next to the ear of the driver. With gearboxes on the front, its the main thing you hear when a vehicle is approaching.The exhaust is also very loud, that is true, but it is very directional (mostly to the back). If you stand in front of the vehicle you hear it way less. The whine of the gearbox is transmitted through the entire vehicle as vibration (vibrations above 80Hz will produce noise). Of course it depends on the vehicle. On MBT's you hear their powerfull engines way more, so the gearwhine becomes less prevalent. Many MBT's have the gearbox right next to the engine, which drowns the sound at low speeds. I took the car for the sample because its usually impossible to get a clear sample for the gear sound on tank recordings. (besides, most tank vids have stupid music on them).

Here is a good example how directional the sound behaves - first you hear the gearbox when its approaching, then cooling unit+ exhaust when you see it from the side/back. When it returns its gearbox+tires again

I'm not sure if such directional sound can be created with the configs.

If you pay attention you can hear it in all military vehicles. Its just one of those sounds you do not notice until someone actually points it out. Normally you just accept it as 'ambient noise' of a vehicle.

HELL :O Please, MORE of these! Those are A-Class! As I dont want to do much more on JSRS I will use that for DragonFyre! Please drop more of those nice vids if you guys have over there in the DF thread! MUCH appreciated! Thanks ;)

JSRS DragonFyre

LJ

Hmm agreed that the Gearbox noise does come through loudly on that clip, but driving it, I've done it :) you just hear engine... weird.. Perhaps the mike is more sensitive to the whine ? or as you say frequency response etc

SJ

tank crew wear headsets, so its hard to make the sound like a tanker would hear it. also these youtube videos are nice but mic where from a smartphone, its adjusted to one direction, not able to hear all sounds around the device equaly, recording frequency different and all with the same volumne.

Look at the Riding A French AMX-13 Tank video and compare 1:10min with 3:20. looks both outside the vehicle but a complete different sound. Yes its another location but for human they would hear nearly the same on both.

bunch of tanks

Edited by Numrollen

Just got to report this - Titan missile launch sound is broken. It's very low and apart from that, I'm positive the sound effect isn't playing right. I guess I'm not the only one that get this?

Some peoples guns I can hear others I cannot, for example, 2 people will be shooting the EXACT same gun, one I can hear, other I cannot. I do not even see the weapon shooting for the one with no sound. Any help?

They are modded weapons.

Some peoples guns I can hear others I cannot, for example, 2 people will be shooting the EXACT same gun, one I can hear, other I cannot. I do not even see the weapon shooting for the one with no sound. Any help?

They are modded weapons.

If it is a mod then the modder needs to fix it.

They are modded weapons.

Question answered. That cant be JSRS I'm pretty sure. If you can't even the him shooting I guess your client does not get triggered to show him shooting. Could be a netcode issue. We have those problems even back in A2 were you where not able to hear some people shooting their launchers even if you can hear others which proves that the sounds are there...

LJ

We have those problems even back in A2 were you where not able to hear some people shooting their launchers even if you can hear others which proves that the sounds are there...

LJ

But now I have a problem also with my own launches. I can barely hear them, and the little I hear sounds broken, too.

To be honest, i also miss a soundeffect when firing the AT Launcher... It´s kind of a silenced rocket launcher ^^

To be honest, i also miss a soundeffect when firing the AT Launcher... It´s kind of a silenced rocket launcher ^^

hehe yeah... that's the perfect way to describe it. LJ, I'll try to provide an RPT the next time it happens.

hehe yeah... that's the perfect way to describe it. LJ, I'll try to provide an RPT the next time it happens.

That would be the best if it shows something in the prt. Or even a video heh.

LJ

I will upload a vid when i get the game started after the new stable patch. For some specific reason my game didnt start when using the Arma3 Mod Preset Launcher...

Every Patch a little suprise

They are modded weapons.

I would suggest those with weapons you cannot hear are using another weapon pack mod that is overwritting the Sounds Config. EricJ's pack used to do this, it may have been fixed I believe as he worked very hard to resolve it, but worth just asking your buddies what they are running and removing the packs one by one till they are working.

Hmm did you tested what happens when JSRS is not applied and if you get the same kinda result?

LJ