LordJarhead

J.S.R.S. 2.2 Soundmod

I think that the patch two or three weeks ago messed around with all the sound levels. Since that patch, one of my friends is barely able to hear anything in Arma - with or without JSRS activated - whereas I have found that being inside a vehicle (any vehicle) it is so loud that I basically cannot hear a thing anybody says unless they shout - and it is actually quieter from third person view - whereas before I could quite comfortably hear them giving me directions as it seemed quieter in internal view (which I always put down to it "simulating" the crew wearing headphones for communication).

Anyone else noticed anything similar? It seemed quite a definite change after the last but one patch (ie, 1.17 or whatever it was).

Large caliber weapons Are VERY QUIET, Way to quite. I was standing next to an artillery piece and when it fired it sounded like a mortar.. It was not a static mortar it was the scorcher...

I was then Standing next to a marshall ...It was firing and the gun was on the hush...

I am sure i have read that others have having this issue as well.

It just seems like JSRS needs a good ole fashion Eye'ballin

Yeah, some general volume tweaking would be needed, you are right, sir.

Gonna do some more stuff with updating some sound effects and such. Was thinking about making a new soundmod apart from JSRS without the scripting so it would maybe find a decent place in MP communities more.

Will have to do some more work though, explosions are the biggest issue to me right now, they are to loud on distances and to quiet on short range, and I have seriously no idea why that is but because of the filters maybe...

LJ

Gonna do some more stuff with updating some sound effects and such. Was thinking about making a new soundmod apart from JSRS without the scripting so it would maybe find a decent place in MP communities more.

LJ

As if you haven't done enough already LJ, don't you ever rest? ;)

As if you haven't done enough already LJ, don't you ever rest? ;)

you bet he does haha good old LJ

explosions are the biggest issue to me right now, they are to loud on distances and to quiet on short range, and I have seriously no idea why that is but because of the filters maybe...

Could be that the dynamic range of all used samples is off-balance (happens when all samples are being normalized, footsteps being as louds as rifles etc., no idea if the audio engine can even compensate such volume differences with script commands)

You'd probably have to edit every single sample in the game, it will only be worth the effort if the audio engine is actually able to give out 24bit audio to gain a high dynamic range, on top of that all samples have to be of that resolution too, so you could reach close to a 1:1 dynamic representation of the real thing.

The size of all soundfiles would be huge, not to mention the amount of time to make it work.

From all that I tried using the ingame script commands to make a sound louder will only make it audible at further distances, I doubt it's possible to find a simple workaround for this other than the above mentioned method.

Could be that the dynamic range of all used samples is off-balance (happens when all samples are being normalized, footsteps being as louds as rifles etc., no idea if the audio engine can even compensate such volume differences with script commands)

You'd probably have to edit every single sample in the game, it will only be worth the effort if the audio engine is actually able to give out 24bit audio to gain a high dynamic range, on top of that all samples have to be of that resolution too, so you could reach close to a 1:1 dynamic representation of the real thing.

The size of all soundfiles would be huge, not to mention the amount of time to make it work.

From all that I tried using the ingame script commands to make a sound louder will only make it audible at further distances, I doubt it's possible to find a simple workaround for this other than the above mentioned method.

Well, for me it IS indeed possible to make a volume difference just by the configs and the entries given in them. Its working just fine for me, the problem is the difference between the explosion sounds, due to those filters that want to add dynamics to each single effect, which ends up making them louder and quieter to harsh. Especially the filter-entries for close range are making the sounds too quiet while the others, for higher distances ending up being to loud again. I gotta find a decent balance in between that.

LJ

PS: @Law-Giver: If not everything is wrong, everything would be right. Right? So, something is only perfect when its not able to increase. ;)

I wonder if you would consider changing the sound effects for suppressed 5.56 weapons in first person. There should be some audible sound from the rifle report. Seems like now all there is is the click of a reciprocating charging handle

I wonder if you would consider changing the sound effects for suppressed 5.56 weapons in first person. There should be some audible sound from the rifle report. Seems like now all there is is the click of a reciprocating charging handle

Might do that. Reworking the FPS sounds anyways since the closure sounds/entries are working finally

LJ

Hey LJ, in case you missed it:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-Branch-Changelog&p=2688474&viewfull=1#post2688474

I have no idea how relevant this is, but you might want to take a look.

Yeah I missed it. Tho I have not that much idea whats going on with this and have to check it out anyways. tho I'm currently bind to my modelling stuff for ASTFOR Mod and wont have that much time for JSRS by now. Will have to look how soon I can show some updates or so. Not even sure what kinda direction I wanna go with JSRS in future since I planed another version, like JSRS 2.5 or so. But for that I would have to make 2.1 as stable as possible and fix all the current issues we might still have. Then I'd take that version as a base to build up anything new...

LJ

just a note, the l85 distance sounds don't seem to have any sounds setup for it

Adding the jsrs_soundeffect = "JSRS2_Distance_Effects_l85"; line to a weapon config works although the sound files are missing, You get an error upon firing the weapon.

However adding jsrs_soundeffect = "JSRS2_Distance_Effects_m4"; works and the sound files are present.

Is it intentional that you did not add certain weapon sounds or are you planing on adding them later?

Thank you

Hi,

A modder put up a campaign, Leaving Stratis, that requires this sound mod. When running it, it gives error during the loading stating the .jsrs2_amv7_marshal,globemaster_c17 file is missing.

I re-downloaded this mod and found the first file, the amv_7_marshal, but I am unable to locate the globemaster_c17.

Can someone point me to its location please?

I confess, I only read the first 2 pages and last 6 pages of this forum, so if previously dealt with, my apologies.

Gunner62

Due to current developments in my life, seeing more and more mods stealing sounds from JSRS even if I mostly allow them to use the sounds when they'd just ask and a tragic car accident which brought death over my family I wont continue modding on JSRS for now. I ask for your understanding!

I'd like to ask a moderator to close this thread.

Thank you.

LordJarhead

Thank you for all the effort and time you have put in your mods.

Your sounds were my #1 adddon. You will be missed.

Wish you the best.

Sorry for you, mate.

Are we allowed to fix the current errors in JSRS like the too quiet Marshall/Tank MGs ourselves?

LordJarhead, my codolences to you and your family for your loss.

LJ, I'm very sorry to hear of your problems and loss.

Your work has absolutely transformed Arma 2/3 for me and I'm certain many thousands of others. The complainers and parasites are absolutely dwarfed by the number of people whose enjoyment of the game has been magnified by your incredible skill, dedication and hard work.

Thank you.

UPDATE JSRS 2.1B

Due to the new ArmA3 update I had to update all the config files. Meanwhile I tried to fix some of the issues, tho I forgot what there was to be fixed over time. So I fixed the issue that I have found during the day.

If you find any more or new issue, let me know.

Download link: JSRS Update 2.1B

Prjectname = "JSRS 2.1B";

Codename = "JSRS2.1 V1.1";

Website = "http://www.jsrs-studios.com";

version = "1.1";

Changelog:

*Fixed Configs due to new Silencer entries

*Deleted APC entries for independency

*Fixed Vehicleweapon Distance sounds

LJ

Thanks LordJarhead for all your hard work and thanks for keeping JSRS functional even after this latest patch.