Sign in to follow this  
RipGroove

Am new, couple of questions...

I have stuck my system specs in the sticky so will hopefully found out how it'll run for me, If that turns out OK then I have a couple of questions...

1. What's the best way to buy ARMA3? Looking at the Digital Deluxe version, is that available on CD/DVD or am I better off going through Steam? I'm coming from the Battlefield series so am already used to digital downloads via Origin.

2. As a total ARMA noob I'd need to take a whole lot of time to find my feet so other than single player missions (i assume there are some?) are there many team death match style servers that aren't too full on where I'd have some breathing space to get started?

Hi and welcome,

About question nr. 2:

There is a campaign, and some official SP missions.

And than there is a load of missions in the steam Workshop you may want to try.

Than I would suggest you to check out the editor. It is easy to use, and you can play around with it for years, trying stupid things but also making missions that can become pretty delicious!

On the internet you can find a lot of servers with totally different missions/styles. I am not a great fan of Team Death Match, but they exist enough.

Online I would suggest just trying around, you will see what missions you like, and which not.

Sometimes a name can't say anything about the experience and joy you get while playing something unknown and new.

Thanks, I don't generally like tdm but its handy for getting to know how things work etc.

1) I would suggest Steam. I like Steam. Nothing bad, nothing spectacular about it, but is convenient. If you want a hard copy back-up that is your value judgment boss.

2)I will say, outside of organized groups there is an unfortunate dearth of TvT or PvP servers open to the the public.

The game is not perfect despite how much I love it, and playing against AI, without proper understanding of how to access files and change values, is a very frustrating experience right now.

Also, unfortunately (or fortunately; in my opinion) Arma really shines as a teamwork game. There is absolutely no other game (SIM for all you stubborn people) that requires or can allow for such high levels of cooperative game play with groups of other people. It is an amazing experience. I direct you toward a couple of youtube channels for you to get an idea how ARMA3/ARMA 2 work as a cooperative environment: Dslyecxi (http://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi), Jester814 (http://www.youtube.com/user/Jester814)

Thanks, I don't generally like tdm but its handy for getting to know how things work etc.
Admittedly "for getting to know how things work etc." my tendency is to simply go into the Editor with Stratis as the chosen terrain, click on the map somewhere (i.e. water for boats or ground for infantry, ground vehicles, and not-yet-airborne aircraft) to Insert Unit, choose the desired 'unit' (character) or vehicle from the dropdown lists and OK to place them, then click Preview to enter a de facto free-roam mode. :D

There are SP missions, and the devs released a collection of eight SP missions forming a mini-campaign of sorts called "Survive"; you can find that in PLAY -> CAMPAIGNS -> "The East Wind" -> "Survive". It's mainly infantry-centric though, though the next set of missions scheduled for mid-January release are supposed to offer more variety and 'autonomy'.

I have stuck my system specs in the sticky so will hopefully found out how it'll run for me, If that turns out OK then I have a couple of questions...

1. What's the best way to buy ARMA3? Looking at the Digital Deluxe version, is that available on CD/DVD or am I better off going through Steam? I'm coming from the Battlefield series so am already used to digital downloads via Origin.

Arma 3 is ONLY available via Steam. There are no hard copies around. However you can buy a steam key in the BIStore (which benefits directly to BI, plus the game is on xmas sale right now, where in steam store you have to pay the full price).

Arma 3 is ONLY available via Steam. There are no hard copies around. However you can buy a steam key in the BIStore (which benefits directly to BI, plus the game is on xmas sale right now, where in steam store you have to pay the full price).

Yes and no. While the game will always run through steam you can still buy hard-copies(dvd) in stores. The only difference is that you only need to download like 2-3 gb of data(atleast for me) instead of +10.

Never saw a hard copy of Arma 3 in the stores...

Edit:

Just did some internet research: Some online stores state DVDs of ARMA3 available probably from January 2014 (here in Germany)...

Edited by SwiftN7

There was no retail hard copy release in North America, BI didn't get a publishing deal for a NA retail release.

There was no retail hard copy release in North America, BI didn't get a publishing deal for a NA retail release.

Ok then I understand.

Good info thanks :-)