Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

What is "True" Arma ?

Battlefield 1985. Classic Combat League. Everon, Malden, Kulgojev, Desert Island, Nogova. [LOL] and their clown faces. Server hacks that had your sides aching from laughter.

Let me add: UH-60. A-10. M1A1. T-72. M113. UAZ. 5T. Sopwith Camel.

This too:

Oh, and this:

:)

(take note @ 4:20)

Come to think of it, I'd pay good money for a complete rebuild of the original CWC and resistance game's islands and units.

Maybe a total conversion mod for A3. It would be sweet if it changed the menus and everything. I'm sure there's a re-do of the campaigns out there in editor land. Mostly it would be about the islands and the units and getting them as close to the originals as possible.

Wrong thread. I think your looking for the request thread?

True ARMA is Operation Flashpoint. We've been grasping at straws ever since.

^ this was what I was getting at. Part of why OFP shined is because it focused on the last age of conventional warfare, before we had laser-guided everything and UAVs and all the other force multiplication technology. I imagine that 'combat' in 2035 will more or less resemble sitting at a pc playing Arma anyway.

^ this was what I was getting at. Part of why OFP shined is because it focused on the last age of conventional warfare, before we had laser-guided everything and UAVs and all the other force multiplication technology. I imagine that 'combat' in 2035 will more or less resemble sitting at a pc playing Arma anyway.

OFP shined because it was a complete first at the time, with nobody able to provide a similar experience since. OFP tried advanced tech too, it already had laser guidance and mods introduced rangefinding and laz0rs and everything anyways, so I don´t see the point.

OFP is also seen through rose tinted goggles all the time. Every time I play it again I stumble over the hitches and glitches, go back to Arma 3 and feel it much more intense and interesting gameplay. What is lacking in Arma since OFP is story, and the Armaverse hasn`t been convincing me, possibly because I am not into the cobbled together nature of it. What it may need is a complete reboot, background story wise. Its a massive hack-job, which may be why people are so divided over the setting and choices of forces in A3. Writing a good and believable real world story is difficult too. OFP wasnt really believable, but was close enough to other stories that had been done before to not destroy suspense of disbelief.

The only two stories with really involved storytelling were PMC and BAF, both really cool, but also not everyones kind of thing. Arma 3 meanwhile is going for gameplay over story again, and has some issues I find really glaring (Units that you destroy in missions not getting destroyed on the ORBAT chart for example, making it superflous.) or the fact that one mission briefing on the map declares as a target Camp Tempest, while the actual target is somewhere else: the same place you attack in another mission IN THE SAME selection screen. So you attack the town, clear it out, and in the next mission (20 minutes later story wise or whate3ver) the town is taken over again by a superior enemy which you then attack from a much inferior position. I confess that I´ve not finished the campaign because that error (it seems to me like one) was so glaring.

OFP did had leaps inside the story, but no such massive continuity errors, and every mission stood for itself. Some were annoying as hell, some were really memorable, but none did not make sense as far as the story is concerned. Arma 2 had too few missions with massive leaps inbetween, Arrowhead felt extremely fast paced to the point of completely overrunning the player as far as what was going on and Arma 3 now finally manages basics of Voice acting and cinematics again, and then screws up in the map continuity and campaign feature (orbat) departement.

Arma 3 is the true Arma. I fear that the troubled development may have significantly impacted quality, though, and I hope that future releases will amend these flaws. I have to finish Episode one sometime before Episode two is released. I hope this terrible mission I am at isn't necessary for finishing it, though....

I hope this terrible mission I am at isn't necessary for finishing it, though....
What's the name of the mission?

awesome post! pretty much spot on. great analysis of the in balance of certain elements that make up the campaign experience.

Arma 3 is more towards OFP's ideology and gameplay.

I really hope Arma 4 goes back towards Arma 2's ideology and realism.

I wouldn't buy an Arma 4 release in a million years unless there is a full and complete game released....single player, coops, multiplayer small and large, supported across the maps they released and a full set of mature tools with a good quality intunitive user interface throught the game. No another rolling cluster f@ck of bugs ,glitches , lacking content, poor performance, unoptimized core engine etc etc....

Anything less is just signing up for another four years of frustration and beta testing so that BI can finish a project. I'd rather play an actual game than help BI finish / fix their stuff.

I wouldn't buy an Arma 4 unless there is a full and complete game released....single player, coops, multiplayer small and large, supported across the maps they released and a full set of mature tools with a good quality intunitive user interface throught the game.

Anything less is just signing up for another four years of frustration and beta testing so that BI can finish a project. I'd rather play an actual game than "Help BI finish / fix their mess."

^this + what progamer said in the post before it.

What's the name of the mission?

The "Infantry" copycat mission. I don't remember the name, I´ve been so fed up after trying to solve it ten times without call-of-dutying it (which I am not good at either) that I stopped trying, not played the campaign since. Not even the castle mission in resistance was as frustrating.

If you want to get down to brass tacks this franchise was meant to be played in SP, where immersion is at it's best. I don't think BI ever initially gave MP the time of day. Which is there preference ofcourse as it's their game.

If you want to get down to brass tacks this franchise was meant to be played in SP, where immersion is at it's best. I don't think BI ever initially gave MP the time of day. Which is there preference ofcourse as it's their game.

This seems like a strange comment to make, given that multiplayer has been in the game since day one.

As for the topic, it seems like a pointless argument. Arma is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. The only thing I know for sure is that for some reason everyone likes to try and push their ideas of the "right" way to play Arma on everyone else, despite the fact that is has had an extremely varied amount of content and players from the very beginning.

Edited by roshnak

How so ? I fail to see how Arma 3 is in any way like OFP. Title music ?

Sent from my Life tab via Tapatalk

True ARMA is dragging yourself across the ground in the sniper sit position in your underwear while under artillery fire.

Pretty cryptic opinion, what do you mean with that?

Pretty cryptic opinion, what do you mean with that?

OFP went for a Gameplay>Realism approach.

Arma 2 went for a Realism>Gameplay approach.

Once again Arma 3 seems to be headed for a Gameplay>Realism approach.

Pfft, ARMA3 looks more like BI's Insanity > realism and gameplay if you're going by the ridiculous enemy accuracy, armor, and bravery while facing fire.