Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

What is "True" Arma ?

True ArmA is everything related to military simulation : from warfare to small operations ! BIS at some point gave up improving the military aspect (old engine,human resources and no real will to improve) and started somehow admitting that ArmA is a sandbox and you can do whatever you want with it ,which led to the apparition of some completely strange game modes like Life ,dayz ... while in fact,everything this game and the way it was built shows that it was intended to be a milsim but failed at some moment !

I think the ARMA that most people, who would use the term "true Arma", are describing is a heavily modded, massively staffed coop mission. I disagree completely with their position, but that is what they mean.

"True Arma" is whatever I feel like playing at that moment.

This.

My image of arma/ofp has been made by the [LOL] Major Coop server back in the ofp days.

As the mission was going on for like 3 hours, you really didn't want to die but put your head happily to the sandbags when under fire.

Otherwise you had to wait long time (until the mission restarts). Under this circumstances, the atmosphere became very - well - hammer :).

But I also remember playing this mission, where one player was a murder, and there were womens all around the map. All other players were policeofficers, and they had to catch the murder. Everytime a civilian died or saw the murder, police got the information, and tried to catch him. The more civilians killed, more vehicles became available and the path of the murder was easier to guess.

A lot of dirty jokes and funny tales were told while playing this - I call it "warm up/having fun" - mission.

And then there was the strategy variant - MF CTI.

As I was a big C&C Fan before, and C&C Renegade was a fail, MF CTI became the ultra hot most sexiest mix of strategy and fps sim I knew.

Coming back to the present, for me, ArmA is OFP with actual hot graphics, more hot features and predestined for missions and mods like Patrol Ops, ALiVE, BE CTI and coop missions with stories.

It's best played together with friends, while PvP can be nice too, for me it has no priority.

Edited by SnowSky

True ArmA for me is playing as close to real life as possible, ie a simulation game. Arma 2 did it quite well when using ACE and ACRE, infact I never played A2 without those mods.

A3 is somewhere in between realism and Battlefield series. If and when ACE gets released it will change A3 completely for the better imo.

Actually, true ARMA should be ARMA 3 + mods + ACRE. I"ve played a few missions with this and its awesome.

I feel that "true ArmA" is whatever you want it to be. But "true ArmA" in terms of what the developers think, is what you get in the campaign and scenarios.

the true arma experience is and was was alway the editor.

In no other game (that I can think of) are you allowed such diversity in getting the same thing done.

That is true Arma.

I loathe the prefixing of something with 'true'. Musically I love metal. Have done since the 80s. There's a bunch of metalheads who have used the term "True Metal" for many years now. It's just shorthand for them dismissing anything that doesn't fit into their narrow view of what metal 'should' be. I imagine people using the term True ARMA in this way another group I can similarly despise or (hopefully) simply dismiss.

Edited by Longjocks

I loathe the suffixing of something with 'true'. Musically I love metal. Have done since the 80s. There's a bunch of metalheads who have used the term "True Metal" for many years now. It's just shorthand for them dismissing anything that doesn't fit into their narrow view of what metal 'should' be. I imagine people using the term True ARMA in this way another group I can similarly despise or (hopefully) simply dismiss.
only Manowar is "true metal".

Well imagine DCS had the modding capabilities of ArmA , and someone managed to make a soccer mod for it,someone else managed to make a car racing mod too and so on ! what would you call true DCS then ? it's not about having a narrow view,it's what the game was intended for initially !

The impression I'm getting here is that BI provided an engine, some military content, a map, some samples and an editor but never much of a game.

More or less a military sim dumbed down for game design?

If that's true then maybe that explains why Arma both succeeds and flounders at the same time in and endless cycle. Too many little forces at play and no real structure or backbone at its core. Trying to grow and at the same time eating itself. Never reaching its potential.

Its frustrating to watch when its what you would prefer to be playing instead of a CoD or BF game.

I loathe the prefixing of something with 'true'.

Thats why I used it. So those who know what is "True" can share with the group and those who "loathe" can "Truly Loathe" those who know what is "true." Confused? Me too.;)

Edited by Bvrettski

Well, naturally. They'd die for metal.

I love these comments so much i want to have your babies.

I found a Typo. it should read trve Arma.

Also Arma is only trve, while it bangs its head.

\m/

but to the topic: the true arma experience is people having fun with each other and enjoying the game. no matter if it is Coop, TVT, RP, Zombies, Aliens, Mutants or Hello-Kitty-Warzone-Massacre-straight-from-hell.

Like someone said true arma is the diversity, it is what you want it to be.

To me Arma is the editor and the mods, truth be told for most of the hundreds of hours I played Arma 2 I didnt play any missions or campaigns, I just had fun in the editor making short battles with more or less silly outcomes.

My favourites were(c-130 vs russian fighters, I was flying a c 130 and the goal was to survive as long as possible), sopwitches and other ww1 things.

However my favourite thing to do in arma is to make videos, I may not be good but I have fun.

Jogging simulation.

I've never been more virtually fit than after a long Arma session.

I've never been more virtually fit than after a long Arma session.

I don't know...every day I find myself blacking out and collapsing after sprinting. Maybe I should leave behind the Barrett Fifty and the Javelin tubes next time lol

Well let me stress the point of Arma being a Combined Arms Open Sandbox game. You can create missions of many kinds to showcase different situations a person or group of persons would go into a combat situation. The best way to experience this is either TVT, or TVTVT (wasteland). Now, some may say wasteland is not the way, but in some situations it is, depending on what server you are in, each wasteland is different. The goal of wasteland is Team strategy. The first step is gather supplies. To do it, you need vehicles, which you can load supplies in. Then, you HAVE to set up an FOB, unless you will continue to walk endlessly around the map with nowhere to store all the vital things you find. Ounce your team has an FOB, that is when you build your force to become dominate over the rest of the island. It's basically like 2-3 teams fighting for superiority over the entire terrain. TVT, such as Tea Times Warfare is the next best way to go. It gives you combined arms Team Vs Team gameplay, against enemy AI AND players. Each team fights to control series of points between the two bases to prove who is stronger, or more tactical. Though, Arma can create more situations. In Wasteland, and Domination, you are able to create sub groups within your team, to accomplish different tasks. You can have 3-4 people run Recon or Special Operations missions to secretly and quietly cripple the enemies strong holding. Which is a really good way to experience JTF2/SEAL like operations. This sandbox offers tons of things. You just have to play them all and get a feel for it.

Battlefield 1985. Classic Combat League. Everon, Malden, Kulgojev, Desert Island, Nogova. [LOL] and their clown faces. Server hacks that had your sides aching from laughter.

Let me add: UH-60. A-10. M1A1. T-72. M113. UAZ. 5T. Sopwith Camel.

This too:

Oh, and this:

:)

(take note @ 4:20)

Come to think of it, I'd pay good money for a complete rebuild of the original CWC and resistance game's islands and units.

Maybe a total conversion mod for A3. It would be sweet if it changed the menus and everything. I'm sure there's a re-do of the campaigns out there in editor land. Mostly it would be about the islands and the units and getting them as close to the originals as possible.

Edited by johnnypope