Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

Okay, to help the guy out, I want to say, no helicopters (or tiltrotors, for that matter) actually have lights on the rotor blades. That cool effect you're seeing is actually static electricity built up from particles in the air around the rotor blades. It's helped by the light from the aircraft itself being reflected onto them too.

Mil and Kamov would like to have a word with you.

The effect you're talking about is only really visible under NVG and in dusty environments. It is static electricity discharging in the dust.

Mil and Kamov would like to have a word with you.

The effect you're talking about is only really visible under NVG and in dusty environments. It is static electricity discharging in the dust.

For all of the non believers present I'll try to get some vids/pics of the particular effect that is being talked about as the Osprey does indeed have lights mounted to the tips of it's rotors/blades.

As someone who lives just outside of MCAS New River, I get to watch them all the time at night when they're coming in from Cherry Point and this lighting effect you're seeing is not a static discharge.

I'll be damned. Did a little research and you're not wrong. They actually DO have tip lights. That's what I get for being a narrow-minded Blackhawk Crewchief. We never got any cool tip lights. I can actually think of a few instances where having them may have saved some lives.

The lights on the rotors would be great, but I can't wait to get my hands on this either way.

i started the whole "rotor tip lights" conversation How long ago now? xD its a very sweet feature of the V-22s

Time flies when you are having fun staring at rotor tip mounted lights!

The lights on the rotors would be great, but I can't wait to get my hands on this either way.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. I've been patiently watching this mod for quite awhile now and would love and updated/improved V-22 over the current offering.

Well i've been trying to get myself motivated to release this but what is really holding me back is the body aft of the wing. The original model is based on the prototype v-22 and somewhere between there and the mv-22b they changed the whole contour of the body behind the wing leading up to the tail. Fixing this up to mv-22b spec will require editing all three layers of textures, the model and the uv maps. Another hurdle is my use of transparent decals for all the markings, which i later learned cannot recieve shadows :( making it look stupid because all the decals will be glowing in the shade. I may have to settle for having all the features work and fix these annoying problems in a later update. As far as I know the detail level is acceptable, the instuments work and the animations and lights are complete. All i really need to do is fix up the copilot seat and instruments and do some cleanup here and there.

With or without those minor issues, this would still be one of the best aircraft contributions to A3. I'm quite sure that a release based on the current state of the MV-22b would make a lot of people very happy (me included).

Another hurdle is my use of transparent decals for all the markings, which i later learned cannot recieve shadows :( making it look stupid because all the decals will be glowing in the shade.

Do you accidentally have the NoZWrite renderflag or AlphaNoShadow pixelshader included in the .rvmat for your decals?

Okay, was just an idea.

It definitely should be possible to get alpha textures to shade properly though - you can see as much on BIS assets if you look at the guides of tank tracks (those teeth that run up the middle of the inside of the track), and on the various burlap strips on the sniper ghillies. Both are alpha textures and suffer no shadow problems whether the shadows are cast by the unit itself, or other objects in the game world. I'd copy one of their .rvmats out of the game's .pbo exactly, and only change the paths making sure you have all the stages that are included in the original .rvmat, even if you have to generate a procedural equivalent, and don't delete/omit any stages.

I can't really think of things that might cause it besides a dodgy .rvmat, other than maybe not saving the alpha textures properly (i.e not saving them as a 32-bit .tga with the correct _ca or _co suffix before converting to .paa), but I'd imagine you have already formatted the textures properly for .paa conversion.

Actually you are right and wrong...the reason it works on trees, grass, tanks and soldiers is because the alpha textures use 'absolute' transparencies ie. either 100% transparent or opaque. On textures with detailed transparencies like glass it is not possible to apply shadows to them. Easiest example it to taxi the wipeout underneath a hanger, you can see that the shadow of the building doesn't draw on the glass of the cockpit.

edit**

got it working! I changed the alpha channel to 2 color black and white and saved it as co instead of ca and now they recieve shadows correctly! Thanks for getting me thinking :)

Edited by Sakura_Chan

This is looking awesome. I love adding new aircraft and this is one of them!

Sakura_chan inbox me or head over to my thread so that we can get them already integrated for refueling

Sakura_chan inbox me or head over to my thread so that we can get them already integrated for refueling

Such a great comment to see

anyone able to help??? i cant get them to show up in my extentions option :/ the path is @AH64D\Addons\fza_ah64_controls.pbo ... and so on... yet they wont show ... all armaholic addons are useless to me because of it :( :confused:

i cant post an actual thread so this is the only place a can go -.-

anyone able to help??? i cant get them to show up in my extentions option :/ the path is @AH64D\Addons\fza_ah64_controls.pbo ... and so on... yet they wont show ... all armaholic addons are useless to me because of it :( :confused:

i cant post an actual thread so this is the only place a can go -.-

First off, this is not the right place to ask such question. Second, are you sure your path is exactly C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@AH64D\addons\fza_ah64_controls.pbo ? If youre using steam this is how it should look like for you. Im not sure if it could be related but most people name the second folder "addons" with a lower case "a". Next time, please ask your mod related questions in the right thread.

Can I please request a British army air core version of the mv22 also mate for my clan that we can walk in & out of via the ramp & maybe that we can drive quads on? Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:27 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Maybe we could have both red and blue? If we could switch the colors in-game via the action menu or the like.

How about the green light coming on ONLY when the v22 is on the ground with the ramp automatically opening?

For the MV22 will you be adding any armed versions? Possibly with a M240 or M134 on the ramp and a possible Remote Guardian Interim Defensive Weapon System on the belly like in the Arma 2 Door Gunner Project by hcpookie. It would be great to see these in-game as I'm sure a lot of people would have even more fun flying them!

Link to the Door Gunner Project

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15695

Images

---Edit---

Also would there be any fastrope features planned for the aircraft?

I just realized that you talked about the implementation of the IDWS on page 3, even though you may not want to include it, giving us the option for it would be amazing, the same goes for the ramp gunners as seeing that in Arma 3 would also be great! Maybe you could have a completely unarmed version to begin with then add versions with different ramp gun and a version with the IDWS as well.

Edited by deltagamer

The guardian looks really nice and futuristic, so it would fit nicely to arma 3. Fast rope can be implemented later or via another scripts, that should be easy. The main think if he will release it at all. :-/

Yeah an armed version would be awesome :)

And I hope that there will be compatiblity with LIFTER_A3 - for fast-roping and vehicle lifting.