Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

Does the Osprey support the "service menu" is that how it uses its different textures? Also does the Opsrey have the little minigun on the bottom, i heard someone talking about it but i dont remeber

Update! I moved the Osprey over to its own addon folder, which is a HUGE hassle. Because this is going to be an open source addon I took the time to convert everything I could into #define texture paths, so you only have to change one path per file instead of having to change it for each entry. Well the Osprey was actually further along than I realized. I spent some of today working on it and all it really needs is the co-pilot instruments and controls, some damage textures, some config tweaks, and a few missing sounds. I fixed the annoying bug that most ArmA vehicles have that causes the ocean and sky to disappear when viewed through the cockpit windows. Any ideas what liveries I should make? I would like to include the USMC (default), USAF and a 2035 NATO skins. I would like suggestions on actual FGs that I should use.

Israel and Japan have placed a few on order, I assume like many of their aircraft Israel will probably have theirs done up in a desert camo and Japan I assume would use the same camo as their other helicopters.

Apparently a fair few other counties have expressed interest too such as the UAE, Canada, Qatar, Italy, Singapore and Australia. Though I assume pretty much all of them would use one of the fifty thousand shades of grey and just change the roundel so perhaps a generic grey version would be easiest (Or just post a PSD with the layout so people can make their own).

Israel: http://www.janetairlines.com/vlb2/data/images2/israeli_v22b.jpg

Japan: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/US_Navy_060322-N-7981E-015_A_Japan_Maritime_Self_Defense_Force_SH-60J_helicopter_carrying_Commander_Destroyer_Squadron_Nine_(CDS-9),_Capt._Jeff_Harley,_departs_the_flight_deck_of_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_Abraham_L.jpg

http://rt.com/files/news/21/cf/b0/00/japan-military-drill-islands.jpg

http://rt.com/files/news/21/cf/b0/00/3.jpg

Apparently Air Force Special Operations Command is looking at a gunship version of the osprey too:

http://www.janes.com/article/33890/singapore-airshow-2014-afsoc-explores-gunship-variant-osprey-marines-show-interest

Given the V-22's tiltrotor configuration and nearly 12 m diameter rotorblades, forward-firing munitions could not be carried on underwing hardpoints. Instead, the aircraft would either have to employ ramp-mounted or cargo bay-stored canister munitions, similar to those carried by the USMC's KC-130J Harvest HAWK Hercules gunship, or sponson-mounted stub-wings.

A side-firing cannon/machine gun could be fitted, but this would involve some structural re-modelling as the V-22 does not have a paratrooper door on the left-side aircraft fuselage, and the door on the right side is located forward of the rotors, which would present safety issues for the aircraft.

Update! I moved the Osprey over to its own addon folder, which is a HUGE hassle. Because this is going to be an open source addon I took the time to convert everything I could into #define texture paths, so you only have to change one path per file instead of having to change it for each entry. Well the Osprey was actually further along than I realized. I spent some of today working on it and all it really needs is the co-pilot instruments and controls, some damage textures, some config tweaks, and a few missing sounds. I fixed the annoying bug that most ArmA vehicles have that causes the ocean and sky to disappear when viewed through the cockpit windows. Any ideas what liveries I should make? I would like to include the USMC (default), USAF and a 2035 NATO skins. I would like suggestions on actual FGs that I should use.

US Navy

Charcoal gray/black for SOAR might look nice.

---------- Post added at 00:55 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

Charcoal gray/black for SOAR might look nice.

Here are some pics of it in A3 with mostly finalized materials. The first skin will be "Lady Ace" from VMM-165 the "White Knights"

ladyace02.jpg

ladyace01.jpg

ladyace03.jpg

The Osprey is SOOO curvy and sexy :)

I've made a lot of changes to the model, adding or moving antennas, adding missing parts to match more recent models. I've added a lot of detail into the shadow lod as well so all the little details pop out more now that they have shadows.

That is one mighty sexy looking aeronautical abomination, excellent work!

I am really looking forward to flying the improved MV-22, thank you for all of your work Sakura!

Man, you've pretty much nailed the material definition.

Can't stop looking at the pics, I find new details more and more.

I fell in love! Thank you for your work!

Did you get the side door window to align with the door? The A2 model has it floating in mid-air as if it isn't attached to the door. HUGE annoyance :)

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Apparently Air Force Special Operations Command is looking at a gunship version of the osprey too:

http://www.janes.com/article/33890/singapore-airshow-2014-afsoc-explores-gunship-variant-osprey-marines-show-interest

Good read!

The gunship is one of a number of special mission variant V-22s being considered, Col Ropella noted, with aerial refuelling (already demonstrated), command and control, surveillance, and executive transport roles also being explored. "There are a seemingly endless number of applications that exist [for the V-22]," he said.

With regard to the MV-22's current role, Col Ropella said that crisis response "is quickly becoming its bread and butter mission".

A good vid illustrating airlift, brown-out landings and the IDWS weapon system. Author felt he had to put an annoying music sound track on it but the content is good regardless:

The brown-out effect is what interests me in that if new dust particle effects are added the "extra dust" of the brown-out landing could be modeled. Something you might want to consider adding... would need to add a cfgCloudlets section.

Also the IDWS gun rack can be retracted inside the vehicle... I never could of course add the hole to the fuselage with my original attachto. However not sure that is necessary for the game.

Final comment and I'll let you get back to it - personally I always liked the TGW vehicle improvement addon that allowed you to fold the wings. Always appreciated that on mission startup you'd have to unfold the wings to get them moving. My suggestion would be to make the wings folded on a random startup, so that "some" of the birds on the ground have them folded, while some are already unfolded. Doing something similar in the Unsung mod for some of the vehicles... some have things folded, some unfolded, for some nice variations. Using the INIT EH to set all that in a script.

Edited by hcpookie

Any ideas what liveries I should make? I would like to include the USMC (default), USAF and a 2035 NATO skins. I would like suggestions on actual FGs that I should use.

HMX-1 might be interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMX-1_MV-22B.JPG

Looks great in the recent screenshots though - you've done an excellent job bringing this old thing up to Arma 3 standards.

Also the IDWS gun rack can be retracted inside the vehicle... I never could of course add the hole to the fuselage with my original attachto. However not sure that is necessary for the game.
I'll second that such modeling the "retraction" capability; unless the unretracted system actually got in the way of landings then modeling the retraction capability is more effort/chance-of-errors for seemingly little difference except beyond missions where an opposing side is supposed to mistake such an armed Osprey for being unarmed.

Impressive work Sakura!

A fictional 160th SOAR skin would be nice.

Hey man... i love your redux of C130 and MV-22 i cant wait to fly MV22 it is my favourite and love the wip pictures,i also have one question..it is doable to do this

http://www.iloveplanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/blog-about-airplanes-MV-22-Osprey.jpg (252 kB)

My thought is like for night flying when u have night vision on you will see this green line like IR mark it will firstly help pilots to know where is his limit with propelers for landing and it will be so cool i mean just look at the pict :) and

THANK YOU very much for great addon. Thank you cant wait

Here are some pics of it in A3 with mostly finalized materials. The first skin will be "Lady Ace" from VMM-165 the "White Knights"

The Osprey is SOOO curvy and sexy :)

I've made a lot of changes to the model, adding or moving antennas, adding missing parts to match more recent models. I've added a lot of detail into the shadow lod as well so all the little details pop out more now that they have shadows.

You should add a gunship variant on the V-22 chassis like what the Army is planning with their version of the V-22 the V-280.

Making it nothing but a gunship variant and be able to go the weapons with the Service Menu like the other plane mods. Also the current osprey has the ability of adding Interim Defense Weapon System which would be cool to remove on and off with the service menu.

Can't wait until the Mod comes out, Awesome Job.