Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

Its too small, just like the Chinook and the blackhawk.

What do you mean too small???

What do you mean too small???

The scale of current aircraft is quite small compared to IRL, for example with the UH-60 you pretty much bang your head on the door frame whereas IRL it's a bit bigger:

http://www.usmilitaryhelicopters.org/helicopterphotos/sikorsky_uh60_blackhawk_0.jpg

Same with the chinook and others.

We're not talking about a huge increase in size anyhow. Making it be 1.1 in size could be too much. Same for the UH-60s.

The C130-J is mainly wierdly proporioned in the interior areas.

It's less likely the proportion of the vehicle being small as much as the standard soldier being so tall at around six feet tall.

It's less likely the proportion of the vehicle being small as much as the standard soldier being so tall at around six feet tall.

indeed all character models since A1 are ~1.80m tall, which is indeed a good average for most of europe (at least)

yeah so I heard you guys like short runways?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/lethalSakura/jato.jpg

Gotta love JATO Thanks man thats gonna be used alot on the smaller runways :D One thing though, is it gonna be a different model of the aircraft or will you be able to attach those in game? Also I say these, like irl, sould be a one time use and activated by the afterburner (since C-130 doesnt have any) and be replaced/refueled everytime.

---------- Post added at 02:37 ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 ----------

When it comes to landing or taking off? :D

I dont know if you know about it (you probably do) but thats the JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off) system so yes, its for takeoff :)

---------- Post added at 02:42 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

Lastly, would you consider making a Fat Albert texture from the Blue Angels? xD

I would hate to be the only one asking this but, what is it?

JATO (Jet Assisted take off), you're looking at a rocket engine used to launch aircraft for short runways.

JATO (Jet Assisted take off), you're looking at a rocket engine used to launch aircraft for short runways.

holy crap thatd be so damn good in arma..

I did check the dimensions... the length is perfect, the wingspan is about 0.5 - 1 m short. I will fix the inside door as well. I have the JATO effects almost done, I was able to do everything without scripting so far. I configured the system as a rear-facing eight barrel gun, so at launch the player or AI just has to fire the JATO "weapon" once. The main advantage of this is that you don't need any fancy scripting to arm or disarm the JATO, you simply add or remove the ammo. You could also refit the rockets from a supply vehicle or point. It shoots a 500 round burst of ammo, and the neat thing is that it easily handles all the smoke and spark effects because each barrel shoots and can have its own particle effects. The "ammo" will actually hit the ground during takeoff, so it simulates the smoke, sparks and dust that hits the runway. The ammo only "lives" for about 0.1 second so the liftoff effect has a realistic range. I haven't worked on the actual script that will increase the thrust though.

One MAJOR problem I'm having is the lack of good sounds. I can "get by" with chopping up youtube audio and I can make loops and stuff, but I don't have any talent* for it and I am somewhat baffled by the sound code. Perhaps some kind soul would like to help out? I just need the sounds for the MV-22, the C-130, the JATO rockets, and the powered ramps and landing gear. Right now the osprey has most of the sounds, the C-130 is completely silent though. If you want to give it a shot just PM me. I would like to capture the bass of the c-130, while the osprey sounds pretty unique and sort of quiet at a distance.

*by talent I mean I know what I like, but I don't have the experience or software to modify sounds to my liking.

Just how willing are you to use the Arma 2 sounds for the MV-22 and C-130, even if only as placeholders until you find better ones?

So far have you tested it our on the smallest runways? One thing though, youre making it so its able to takeoff from smaller runways but will it have thrust reverser capabilities so it slows down and stops faster plus goes backwards when landing? Because those runways are a real pain to land and takeoff with a small jet so i can only imagine with this one xD

For the sounds, I suggest finding a sound pack for a C130 for the flight simulator series and getting permission to use it.

I hate the ArmA2 sounds, and it would be hard to adapt flightsim sounds to arma due to the difference in how they get played. As for the runways, the C-130 has great braking force, it slows down as though it was using reverse thrust. It has no trouble stopping on the smallest grass airfields on Altis. I think the shortest one is in the north-west of Altis just below Ammolofi Bay. If you are careful you only need about 75% of the runway to stop, but you need 200% or more runway to take off at full flaps. Right now, with flaps down, it rotates at 180kph (100 knots). I've read that it is capable of rotating around 75ish knots, and sometimes as fast as 122 knots (225kph). I don't want to make it BF4 instant liftoff, but I don't want it to be unusable on dirt runways without using the JATO every time. The shortest runway only lets me reach 130pkh (70kts), so thats even cutting it close for the JATO.

*by talent I mean I know what I like, but I don't have the experience or software to modify sounds to my liking.

LordJarhead had the policy of providing sounds in exchange for credit in the addon, dunno if he still does but you can ask him.

As for the runways, the C-130 has great braking force, it slows down as though it was using reverse thrust.

Among others...

Just ignore the flaming wing, that was pilot error...

Edited by Scarecrow398

I got the JATO script working, I just used an existing afterburner script and added some vertical lift to it. Somehow the AI has absolutely no trouble with it?! This is ArmA, a trouble free feature just isn't right ;) The AI actually goes nose up and then levels out like in the videos. There was definitely some Thunderstuck blaring in the background on my first JATO heh.

Yeah if I were you, I'd propably go beg JSRS Studios / LordJarHead for their epic talent. Good luck getting these to the stage you want them to be :)

It sounds awesome that you got it working :)

There seems to always be atleast something that does not work in one way or another. Let's hope those things haven't just not revealed themselfs yet. (I admit I confused myself with this last sentence being from a non-english speaking country and all, but you get my point)

Edited by AlexVestin

It sounds awesome that you got it working :)

There seems to always be atleast something that does not work in one way or another. Let's hope those things haven't just not revealed themselfs yet. (I admit I confused myself with this last sentence being from a non-english speaking country and all, but you get my point)

Could have fooled me, I thought you were from the US :p

I got the JATO script working, I just used an existing afterburner script and added some vertical lift to it. Somehow the AI has absolutely no trouble with it?! This is ArmA, a trouble free feature just isn't right ;) The AI actually goes nose up and then levels out like in the videos. There was definitely some Thunderstuck blaring in the background on my first JATO heh.

You're right, Something's wrong... quick, create a bug to balance out the armaverse!

One step ahead haha...the C-130J cant use JATO so its totally unrealistic. There ya go ;) Its still cool and i'll keep it on file incase someone makes an earlier c-130 model