Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

Good work - great photog skills too. I imagine that took some work to setup.. Thanks

SJ

Id certainly be looking forward towards armed versions of the helicopter, just like what hcpookie did by slapping some MG's on it. Twas also in his pack the IDWS version was in.

Looking forward to this very much Sakura. Particularly you fixing up the terrible auto-hover mode present in the A2 version of the V-22. Once the aircraft got under 90 it became a brick.

My aim is simply to provide a high quality, USABLE port, without a bunch of superfluous features that are largely unused and really only delay the release.

That's what I like to hear

Nice birds Sakura, Bis really have to push to give us the ability to stand and walk in a moving aircraft.

Also do you plan to have the real life armed version of the MV-22 in addition to the unarmed variant? They recently got 360 degree mini guns mounted on the bottom and also have machine guns on the sides and on the rear that are manned by soldiers. The armed version is called the CV-22.

The CV-22 is the USAF Osprey, the MV-22 is the Marine Corps destination, only the MV-22 was equipped with the BAE Interim defence weapons system which was later removed as it was found to be rather useless at higher altitudes and usually flew with gunship support which destroyed targets before the ospreys could, so the systems were removed due to the added weight impeding the carrying capacity.

The CV-22 is the USAF Osprey, the MV-22 is the Marine Corps destination, only the MV-22 was equipped with the BAE Interim defence weapons system which was later removed as it was found to be rather useless at higher altitudes and usually flew with gunship support which destroyed targets before the ospreys could, so the systems were removed due to the added weight impeding the carrying capacity.

I believe the IDWS system wasnt part of the craft in the first place, rather it was developed after they thought of adding some firepower to some of them.

Id love to see an AV-22 gunship if one would take the initiative of creating a heavily armed Osprey. It would be great for A3's fictional timeline.

To be fair, the Ospreys I've been on (Marine Corps ones) had a tail gunner and a gun in the doors either side at the front, so it'd be nice to see in this.

walking in vehicles has been the "unicorn" feature since the ofp days. It isn't impossible, in fact I have a working example with some pretty serious limits. It does give you an animated soldier that can walk with collision detection (geometry and other soldiers) around a vehicle, including elevation changes like stairs or ladders. This version doesn't really need 3d modelling and doesn't require any modification to an existing model. The limit: no guns, aiming or freelook. Another version would require extensive modification to a model, not visually or geometrically though, more to do with proxies and animations. This version, using the new A3 IK stuff might produce an aimable, shootable weapon as well as freelook, with a much cleaner script flow. There are about 4-5 scenarios that I can think of to get some sort of walking in vehicle action. From what I've seen its MP use would be possible (maybe too early to say), but I would cringe at the thought of 40 people jumping off the back of a moving C-130 haha. For now though I'll just release these birds without any craziness.

they look pretty awesome and i miss the option to bring in guys with planes ... helos are getting pretty boring.

i hope we will see a realse soon ;)

Very nice, I wanted to redo the C-130 but I just don't have the skills.. good to see someone doing exactly what I wanted to do and more. If you want any help with the textures shoot us a pm, not that you look like you need any. It's all I can offer :p

Thanks for the correction.

Sweet! those look great. A real bonus to Arma3.

Have you seen what HAFM have done with the C130? May be worth getting in touch and collaborating, they seem to have cracked the walking into aircraft problem:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151365-ArmA-III-Hellenic-Armed-Forces-MOD-(HAFM)&p=2577646&viewfull=1#post2577646

It's just a walkable interior. When it starts moving if things aren't tied down, bad things happen.

It's just a walkable interior. When it starts moving if things aren't tied down, bad things happen.

Still a cool idea to have. Could you untie it in flight so if flies out?

Still a cool idea to have. Could you untie it in flight so if flies out?

You could. It's a good idea for all Arma vehicles to have walkable and drivable interiors were applicable though. Because someone will likely fix the movement problem.

Honestly while everyone wants to walk and look, I will gladly skip it for functional useful aircraft now, fancy pants crap later. Also cargo space in the Osprey is limited big time. It is far more a troop and material carrier, and really can't fit anything bigger then quadbikes and motorcycles. The Humvee which will fit in a Chinook wont in the Osprey. As for guns that can be added later. Yeah they have guns on some, but it isn't something on everyone of them. Also stability in flight has gotten TONS better or the pilots are better last time I saw them landing and taking off.

well today I got to take the osprey out for a while in A3. It handled exactly like it did in A2. I am happy to report that I was able to increase the hover-mode maneuverability greatly. I realized why it had such bad handling...basically the geometry lod determines its maneuverability in both heli-mode and plane-mode. In order for it to fly like a heavy transport in plane-mode, it made it stiff and heavy in heli-mode. The solution is that there are actually 2 lines of code that can change the plane-mode handling, which the A2 osprey DIDN'T USE! So I made the geometry 'smaller' until I could whip it around in heli-mode, then adjusted the plane-mode code so it didn't handle like a fighter jet. It is really cool, the Osprey has amazing rudder authority now even in plane-mode. I use an XBOX360 controller, and I was poking the refueling boom into windows.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

the solution is that there are actually 2 lines of code that can change the plane-mode handling, which the a2 osprey didn't use!

that nerve bi that nerve

Sounds great! Hanging out for it (haha nice teasing eh)

Have you watched the linked video?

well today I got to take the osprey out for a while in A3. It handled exactly like it did in A2. I am happy to report that I was able to increase the hover-mode maneuverability greatly. I realized why it had such bad handling...basically the geometry lod determines its maneuverability in both heli-mode and plane-mode. In order for it to fly like a heavy transport in plane-mode, it made it stiff and heavy in heli-mode. The solution is that there are actually 2 lines of code that can change the plane-mode handling, which the A2 osprey DIDN'T USE! So I made the geometry 'smaller' until I could whip it around in heli-mode, then adjusted the plane-mode code so it didn't handle like a fighter jet. It is really cool, the Osprey has amazing rudder authority now even in plane-mode. I use an XBOX360 controller, and I was poking the refueling boom into windows.

Look at this because as maneuverable as it is, its still a large, heavy airplane designed for VTOL flight and speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfDL_cqjD3o

You are adjusting the maneuverability with what the real life version does right? You can possibly use the above videos to view the flight characteristics. The Osprey isn't that maneuverable but instead relies on speed to keep safe.

Wasn't the reason the way it was because BI knew this?

Edited by ProGamer