Varanon

FHQ Debug Console for Arma 3

That does not work. I've tried everything. I guess it is just broken in that regard. Good mod though.

i thought the same, then i actually looked into the controls ;)

the buldozer controls use the mouse to move, but since it is a dialog wich uses the mouse to click things, that doesn't work.

you can remap the buldozer controls to match the WASD and then it works.

Looks great - I had started work on a 3D object editor and had the framework done... then saw this...

Downside - Probably wasted effort by me

Upside - So much better than I could have done and ready NOW!

Undo would be a great help - there are plenty of times I have accidently moved something I didnt mean to (Especially when placing MGs etc inside bunkers)

Is there a way to fine tune movement? Whenever I click to move something it snaps to a starting position far from its current position (Can make a quick vid if that is not clear)

Also can you save/load into the 3d editor? I think that is what the other export options are but havent got that far yet (ie. load into 3D editor stuff already there, take up where you left off previously, someone else's work etc)

GREAT work mate!

Undo would be a great help - there are plenty of times I have accidently moved something I didnt mean to (Especially when placing MGs etc inside bunkers)

Is there a way to fine tune movement? Whenever I click to move something it snaps to a starting position far from its current position (Can make a quick vid if that is not clear)

Also can you save/load into the 3d editor? I think that is what the other export options are but havent got that far yet (ie. load into 3D editor stuff already there, take up where you left off previously, someone else's work etc)

GREAT work mate!

Thanks.

I was considering undo/load, but ultimatively, it's not a fully fledged 3d editor and will likely not become one (there's another effort to that end already). I was working on a mission and needed to put up a few objects as precise as possible, and we all know that this isn't possible in the 2d editor, so I came up with the idea (that's why it's called "Object Positioning System").

Saving is done via the clipboard, it's the only way to get data out of the game without using other addons. I am contemplating adding a dll extgension to the console (among other things, I want the console to be able to interface with our ArmaDev IDE). If I go that route, I might add real file saving to it.

I have to admit I don'T quite get what you mean with snapping back to the starting position. A video would definitely help. Thanks.

Poor quality vid but you get the idea - I think if you click and drag (to move an object) if it is not exactly center of mass it will move it off it's current position (like if you click in an open area to place it there) - You can see when I click and hold (to drag) the object moves to a different location when I start dragging.

Other qs:

1. Is it possible to have an 'align to terrain' option (as well as the float/drop options?)

eg code:

_currentObject setVectorUp surfaceNormal position _currentObject;

That will align the object to the ground so you dont have part underground and part floating. I found it particularly handy for objects such as hesco/concrete barriers etc.

2. Is it possible to change rotation around different axis?

3. House positioning - The current method is nice but is it also possible when you are in that mode, if you walk into a house it will have th 25cm spheres put in each position in the house (ideally with some form of text - eg an addaction called "House position X" that doesnt run a script to give you a popup hint)

Only minor points - undo isnt a major one - although it would be VERY helpful for me because I always seem to move the wrong thing accidentally!

Overall again - great tool, thanks mate!

Poor quality vid but you get the idea - I think if you click and drag (to move an object) if it is not exactly center of mass it will move it off it's current position (like if you click in an open area to place it there) - You can see when I click and hold (to drag) the object moves to a different location when I start dragging.

Ah, I see... yeah, this is because the object is moved to the position of the mouse. I will change in so that it doesn't immediately move to the position of the mouse in 3d, but rather move relative to the original click position.

1. Is it possible to have an 'align to terrain' option (as well as the float/drop options?)

eg code:

_currentObject setVectorUp surfaceNormal position _currentObject;

That will align the object to the ground so you dont have part underground and part floating. I found it particularly handy for objects such as hesco/concrete barriers etc.

I'll check if I can add that. I'm not sure it will work with merging, but should if added to the init field. Good suggestion, actually, thanks.

2. Is it possible to change rotation around different axis?

It would be possible... I need to think about how to implement that in the UI, though

3. House positioning - The current method is nice but is it also possible when you are in that mode, if you walk into a house it will have th 25cm spheres put in each position in the house (ideally with some form of text - eg an addaction called "House position X" that doesnt run a script to give you a popup hint)

Thinking about that.

Only minor points - undo isnt a major one - although it would be VERY helpful for me because I always seem to move the wrong thing accidentally!

Overall again - great tool, thanks mate!

Yeah, I know, I'll think about it. Problem is, as I said, it's not meant as a fully fledged 3d editor, and I hope that other project will at one point make it superfluous.

I spent a good hour exploring all that this mod has to offer and I have come to the conclusion that this is one of the most EPIC, USEFUL, and POWERFUL mods in A3. It just makes everything so much easier when it comes to mission making. Before this mod, I had to reload another mission (Easy NPC) just to get my loadout sorted. Then if I wanted to spawn boxes, I had to run MCC and deal with it's small interface, making spawning boxes a chore. I swear I've spent a good 30 minutes before trying to spawn a laptop on top a table the way I wanted, now it takes a few seconds. I no longer have to make a trigger, come up with a condition, to check if my scripts are working. I can just go in and use the interface to quickly check it. Damn, this stuff is nice! Thanks, Varanon!

Two wishes -

-camera use Splendid Camera func

-map-click teleport

The camera supports map-click teleport if you click on the map while in camera mode with I think ALT pressed.

I didn't use splendid cam because it sometimes messes things up. For example, when replaying a unit via the BIS_fnc_unitPlay, switching to splendid camera will interrupt replay since it overrides the display unitPlay needs to get exact timing.

If you want to use it, just enter "call BIS_fnc_camera" (IIRC) into an execute field and press the corresponding "L" button.

I had an issue with the 3d editing.

If I save to mission.sqm after placing a few objects, it works fine.

If I then go back into the mission and add more objects then save to clipboard and paste, it overwrites the original objects and I lose them.

So it seems I would have to add all of the objects before saving because I cannot add more at a later stage.

My camera also not working to move forward/backwards.

I had an issue with the 3d editing.

If I save to mission.sqm after placing a few objects, it works fine.

If I then go back into the mission and add more objects then save to clipboard and paste, it overwrites the original objects and I lose them.

So it seems I would have to add all of the objects before saving because I cannot add more at a later stage.

My camera also not working to move forward/backwards.

No, you can not add objects afterwards, sorry.

The camera uses the bulldozer keys. Make sure to change the keys from their original mouse move bindings, otherwise it won't work.

Not your fault :)

I think the workaround would be to merge merge.mission with play.mission after each update and play.mission will retain each merge. Should be fine :)

one thing - do not add static weapons - they do not work and make your screen black and you cant get off weapon. vehicles seem ok.

one thing - do not add static weapons - they do not work and make your screen black and you cant get off weapon. vehicles seem ok.

They do work, make sure to 'drop' them, or remove the 'this enableSimulation false' from their init field

Sent from my Life tab via Tapatalk

How the hell do you delete a post? lol

Edited by chondo999

Is there a way to execute a script that's not in the mission folder/mission pbo from the console?

I tried creating a scripts folder in my Arma 3 root directory but it did not work.

Hi Varanon,

Would you consider adding in the ability to spawn AI players into existing squad? I think it would be similar to vehicles, so it would allow for choice of faction, then unit, then add to squad?

Full disclosure: I use your mod to fool around in the SP campaign, the crates and vehicles are awesome - it would just be nice to be able to add soldiers to my squad on the fly.

I really appreciate your hard work, thanks!

Edited by jgkean

I'll consider it. I've got a new version lined up for release anyway, but I lacked the time up to now to fix some of the outstanding issues.

Excellent, I was looking for an output window for debugging and this has that and much more :)

Quick note on the included script with dummy functions for when the addon isn't present: executing this at init for a mission (as suggested in the readme) causes problems because (isNil "FHQ_DebugConsole_Commit") is always true at this point because the debug console functions are not yet defined.

Adding a slight delay gets round the issue, and quickly looking at the code, I don't think debugConsole_outputconsole_fn.sqf gets included in preinit because init.sqf only references it with execVM.

Below is a slightly modified fhq_debugconsole_support.sqf with a delay so it works with the current addon. I've also added an override of FHQ_Debug_KeyHandler to add an extra binding so the output window can be directly toggled (far more convenient!)

sleep 0.01;

if(isNil "FHQ_DebugConsole_Commit") then
{
FHQ_DebugConsole_Commit = { };
FHQ_DebugConsole_Clear = { };
FHQ_DebugConsole_DebugOut = { };
FHQ_DebugConsole_SetOutput = { };
}
else
{
hint "FHQ DebugConsole initialised";

FHQ_Debug_KeyHandler =
{
	_res = false;

if((_this select 1) in (actionKeys "User20")) then
	{
		[] call FHQ_DebugConsole_MainDebug;
		_res = true;
	};

if((_this select 1) in (actionKeys "User19")) then
	{
		[] call FHQ_DebugConsole_User19Key;
		_res = true;
	};

if((_this select 1) in (actionKeys "User18")) then
	{
		[] spawn FHQ_DebugConsole_ToggleOutputWindow;
		_res = true;
	};

_res
};
};

Is there something preventing using the console in the campaign?

I only have FHQdebug and CBA installed but it does not work in the campaign (adapt - didn't test the others).

Works fine in MP/Scenarios.

EDIT: Did not work in the scouting mission but in the camp mission it works fine.

Edited by manesh

Is there something preventing using the console in the campaign?

I noticed that most of the time, the console won't start up again after loading a game. The reason is that it waits for the main mission display to be created, although I don't know why it doesn't come back after loading.

I'm in the process of updating it (a few bugfixes, especially with the loadout saving and the object editor), and it will also feature a new startup method without using CBA (via function module).

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Below is a slightly modified fhq_debugconsole_support.sqf with a delay so it works with the current addon. I've also added an override of FHQ_Debug_KeyHandler to add an extra binding so the output window can be directly toggled (far more convenient!)

Thanks, I'll include that in the updated version

I noticed that most of the time, the console won't start up again after loading a game. The reason is that it waits for the main mission display to be created, although I don't know why it doesn't come back after loading.

I'm in the process of updating it (a few bugfixes, especially with the loadout saving and the object editor), and it will also feature a new startup method without using CBA (via function module).

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Thanks, I'll include that in the updated version

It should work with a saved game, just use the mod "moduload" when loading a saved game. It initializes mods when loading savegames.

But since the last update of Arma i´ll get an error when use the console. When opening the console it says: no entry bin/config.bin/fhq_debugDialog/Controls/FHQ_debug_watch1.Color disabled

The Console opens, but many fuctions are missing like Character Cutomization. Any ideas how to fix that?

Am getting errors on the client in MP.

Error in expression <d>
 Error position: <d>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: d
Error in expression <ing;
ctrlSetText [_numRes, format["%1", _res]];
}; 
};

FHQ_DebugConsole_PinUnpi>
 Error position: <_res]];
}; 
};

FHQ_DebugConsole_PinUnpi>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _res
File fhq_debug\debugConsole.sqf, line 108

edit. That's odd. When I used the ingame expansions menu to load addons, instead of arma3sync launcher, the error went away!

Edited by Tankbuster

It is possible to see errors when typing. The lines are executed eve wheb typing...

Ah I see that. It's checking for variable names before I've finished typing them :)

Feature request. The NSS admin console can remember a bunch of command lines so that you don't have to type commonly used commands. This would be very cool in FHQ.

Ah I see that. It's checking for variable names before I've finished typing them :)

Feature request. The NSS admin console can remember a bunch of command lines so that you don't have to type commonly used commands. This would be very cool in FHQ.

You mean, like with the normal console, saving the commands typed in over multiple sessions ?