HJohnson

Arma 3 Animation Tutorial: From Blender to Arma 3

I've been playing around with this and it's pretty nice, but I'm having trouble getting some custom weapon holding animations working. I don't want to do any movement, just the static weapon hand positions.

I'm using the AT rig, but it doesn't seem to remember where I place the weapon. Is there a trick to getting this to work? In O2 I could place the weapon anywhere I wanted, and move the hands to the holding position. I've moved the weapon from the ArmaRig_AT (the m16 defined as "weapon") to a firing position, then placed the hands on it. Is there something different that needs to be done with blender? I have never used Blender before, so I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

4ktGqWil.jpg Ingame

FlvzfDVl.png In Blender

Also, is there a good way to load in the weapon model you are making the animation for? I have been importing it and trying to line it up. Is there a way to link the "weapon" and the model, so they move together and are lined up? Similar to the proxy method in O2.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by ardvarkdb

As you can see, the hands are directly like you wanted them, but the position is off. That is because Handanims always are placed in relation to the weapon bone in the skeleton. So you need to move the skeleton bone in your rtm/ blender anim to the correct position.

If you do move the weapon bone you do not move the weapon, you only move the hand position. The weapon bone itself is fixed / defined in the standard stance position. If the weapon clips into the characters shoulder or is too far away from it you need to move the weapon's position inside the P3D / your blender weapon model.

Edited by Fennek

Got it, thanks! I didn't realize that box was the actual bone for the weapon. It's working now. Thanks again!

Yes.Only use the bones to animate.The meshes are there as references.Nothing more.

I'm updating the rig a little,so I'll change the naming to be a bit less confusing.

If you bring in a custom model for reference,switch to edit mode and position it relative

to the m16.The hand grip should serve as a guide.Then go back into object mode and parent

it to the weapon bone.

You can parent any object to a bone by first selecting the object,then while holding

shift,select the bone and hit CTRL+P.Choose "Bone" from the menu that pops up.

The bone will now control the object.

Having issues recreating this. I am attempting to create a knife-hand animation for A3, however this what I get. It seems the animation is being skewd.. possibly due to an outdated import process seeing over a year has passed since the guide was posted. Anyone have any pointers?

• Like 1

how would you play an animation (via script) that's comes from a mod? Its a dancing animation btw

Got it to work by using switchMove and playMove one after another