Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.16 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

3 hours ago, Farantis said:

We don't need just the HC - we need to shut this off completly!

And i just got a report that -1 sets the timeout to 10 Minutes...

Shut it off? How about just adding more/better customization parameters to it so the feature can be adapted to all needs?

Hello, would these be possible to turn off, to keep the current behaviour that's not an issue for us? Our group uses the lobby screen as a prep area before our weekly mission to get organised, and this will hamper that organisation greatly. Cheers!

8 hours ago, LSValmont said:

Shut it off? How about just adding more/better customization parameters to it so the feature can be adapted to all needs?

Why would I have to deal with all this BS if I don't want any "feature" of this thing? Some people just want to TURN IT OFF.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Farantis said:

We don't need just the HC - we need to shut this off completly!

And i just got a report that -1 sets the timeout to 10 Minutes...

as i said before just set the *timeout values to e.g. 259200 (72 hours) or more...

(note: not the kickTimeout as that're value preventing the return after kick)

6 hours ago, churrofighter said:

Why would I have to deal with all this BS if I don't want any "feature" of this thing? Some people just want to TURN IT OFF.

99% of regular server owners don't wan't to deal with Headless Clients too but the feature is there. Of course you can just leave it off.

Perhaps it should be OFF by default and only server owners that want the feature have to turn it ON.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:56 AM, Bosenator said:

Hello, would these be possible to turn off, to keep the current behaviour that's not an issue for us?

22 hours ago, churrofighter said:

Some people just want to TURN IT OFF

On 4/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, Farantis said:

We are a closed Community and do not need something like Timeout Kicks

On 4/29/2019 at 8:30 PM, fourjays said:

These settings are kicking members who are just waiting for us to get ourselves organised.

I can see a common trend here, and I can confirm the same from my last mission two days ago.

People just getting organized, we were 99% ready, suddenly half of our players get kicked out AND temp banned too!!!

So then everyone was ready, but we had to wait 2 minutes till the tempbanned players could join back, and in that time other people went afk again as we were just sitting around waiting.

And when the people joined back, others got kicked again, and we had to wait again.

We ended up just having to edit the config and restart the server because we just couldn't get everyone together as they were constantly kicked again.

I see it makes sense for public servers, but frankly most Arma servers are not public.
That should not be the DEFAULT. The default should be what it was before, aka idleKicks disabled, and kick==tempban also disabled.

There were multiple people in Arma discord who had these same concerns shortly after this feature was added to perf/prof. And I've already been saying back then to leave the defaults as it was.

• Like 2

@Dedmen ,

@LSValmont ,

@churrofighter ,

@Bosenator ,

@Farantis ,

@fourjays ,

@.kju

in server.cfg just increase the

votingTimeOut , roleTimeOut  , briefingTimeOut , debriefingTimeOut  , lobbyIdleTimeout

beyond default values of 60, 90, 60 ,45, 300

e.g. to 65535 or 604800 seconds

then also disable the kickTimeout (atm. i'm unsure if value of 0 works, needs to be tested)

kickTimeout[] = { {0, 0}, {1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3, 0} };

or use 1 second timeout

kickTimeout[] = { {0, 1}, {1, 1}, {2, 1}, {3, 1} };

those settings are also documented on the BIKI https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dwarden said:

@Dedmen ,

@LSValmont ,

@churrofighter ,

@Bosenator ,

@Farantis ,

@fourjays ,

@.kju

in server.cfg just increase the

votingTimeOut , roleTimeOut  , briefingTimeOut , debriefingTimeOut  , lobbyIdleTimeout

beyond default values of 60, 90, 60 ,45, 300

e.g. to 65535 or 604800 seconds

then also disable the kickTimeout (atm. i'm unsure if value of 0 works, needs to be tested)

kickTimeout[] = { {0, 0}, {1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3, 0} };

or use 1 second timeout

kickTimeout[] = { {0, 1}, {1, 1}, {2, 1}, {3, 1} };

those settings are also documented on the BIKI https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

Setting the kickTimeout values to 0 does not appear to work. It results in the same as -2 (kicked until server reboot).

We're checking to see if it is already implemented, but would be good if lobbyIdleTimeout, etc could be set to -1 to disable it entirely.

That is stupid. So everyone new setting up the server now should run into trouble of friends getting kicked out because they don't all join within X amount of seconds?

Default it to disabled, opt-in, not opt-out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It looks like setting those variables to -1 might disable it. At least, we didn't experience any idle in our operation last night with the following settings:

kickTimeout[] = { {0, -1}, {1, 30}, {2, 180}, {3, 30} };
votingTimeOut = -1;
roleTimeOut = -1;
briefingTimeOut = -1;
debriefingTimeOut = -1;
lobbyIdleTimeout = -1;

Could also be that it didn't occur because our members are now pushing through quickly just to avoid the idle kicks.

@fourjays from what i gathered that are unforeseen consequences values 😉

it may work but who knows what those breaks (i hope they work, saves me headache)

57 minutes ago, Dwarden said:

@fourjays from what i gathered that are unforeseen consequences values 😉

it may work but who knows what those breaks (i hope they work, saves me headache)

This might be an unforeseen consequence, or a documentation issue, but it seems that signature checks are not being handled under "kickID 3" as the Wiki suggests but instead "kickID 1". With the same config as above, we just had a member (Cerven) join the server a while after a signature check failure, only to get the "until mission restart" kick. If the documentation is right this should be a 30 second timer with the above config.

16:20:41  > Player [CPT.] Cerven connecting
16:20:42  > Player [CPT.] Cerven connected
16:23:15  > Player [CPT.] Cerven: Signature check timed out
16:23:15  > Player [CPT.] Cerven kicked off: 
16:23:15  > Player [CPT.] Cerven disconnected
17:14:28  > Player [RCT.] Polarium kicked off, Steam ticket check failed: Steam authentication failed.
17:14:28  > Player [RCT.] Polarium disconnected
17:14:32  > Player [CPL.] Caitlyn disconnected
17:19:58  > [CPT.] Cerven uses modified data file
17:20:02  > Player [CPT.] Cerven connecting
17:20:02  > Player [CPT.] Cerven kicked off: Due to how the server is set up you are not allowed to connect until mission restart
17:20:02  > Player [CPT.] Cerven disconnected
17:20:21  > [CPT.] Cerven uses modified data file
17:20:25  > Player [CPT.] Cerven connecting
17:20:25  > Player [CPT.] Cerven kicked off: Due to how the server is set up you are not allowed to connect until mission restart
17:20:25  > Player [CPT.] Cerven disconnected
17:22:56  > [CPT.] Cerven uses modified data file
17:23:00  > Player [CPT.] Cerven connecting
17:23:00  > Player [CPT.] Cerven kicked off: Due to how the server is set up you are not allowed to connect until mission restart
17:23:00  > Player [CPT.] Cerven disconnected
17:27:23  > [CPT.] Cerven uses modified data file
17:27:27  > Player [CPT.] Cerven connecting
17:27:27  > Player [CPT.] Cerven kicked off: Due to how the server is set up you are not allowed to connect until mission restart
17:27:27  > Player [CPT.] Cerven disconnected

It could be related to the -1, but that side does appear to be working so far. Not seen any idle kicks at all since setting that. I've asked members to not avoid it tonight to try and make sure.

Last night we did op preparation like we would any other night. Zero idle kicks. So looks like setting votingTimeOut, roleTimeOut, briefingTimeOut, debriefingTimeOut and lobbyIdleTimeout to -1 disables it. The odd thing is the kickIDs don't seem to match the documentation as I explained above. However, as we barely ever use admin kicks in our group we have that set to a short timer for now. Hopefully the kickIDs can be better structured in the future so that manual kicks can be made more permanent without them applying to the fairly common signature check failures too.

Our final config is as follows:

kickTimeout[] = { {0, 60}, {1, 30}, {2, 60}, {3, 30} };
votingTimeOut = -1;
roleTimeOut = -1;
briefingTimeOut = -1;
debriefingTimeOut = -1;
lobbyIdleTimeout = -1;

Hopefully that helps other groups out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 8:02 PM, jonpas said:

That is stupid. So everyone new setting up the server now should run into trouble of friends getting kicked out because they don't all join within X amount of seconds?

Default it to disabled, opt-in, not opt-out.

I think the same. This should be opt-in not opt-out. You are annoying with this setting maybe not your largest buyers (Life, KoH, ...) but your most loyal followers.

• Like 2

Yes. Please please please please make it opt-in not opt-out. Most Servers are private clan ones and this really tends to be a headache.

• Like 1

Same here. Completely agreed with @jonpas. @brainslush and all others who said that's make sense only in public servers which are a minority in arma community. All organized communities do not need this feature, it just causes troubles. Please hear us!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, {bdr}*nemesi* said:

Same here. Completely agreed with @jonpas. @brainslush and all others who said that's make sense only in public servers which are a minority in arma community. All organized communities do not need this feature, it just causes troubles. Please hear us!

+1

I also agree,

opt-out is an absolutely annoying option for our MilSim Clan - please make this feature opt-in !!!

• Like 1

some update on what's being worked on ...

1. managed to find the edge case of kickID being type 0 instead of 3

it was related to https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Server_Side_Scripting on* kicks

WIP to get it fixed asap

2. increased the default timeouts to those values

vote phase to 10 minutes
votingTimeOut = 600; // was 60 s for voting

role selection phase to 15 minutes
roleTimeOut = 900; // was 90 s for lobby

pre-game briefing to to 10 minutes
briefingTimeOut = 600; // was 60 s for briefing

post-mission briefing to 10 minutes
debriefingTimeOut = 600; // was 45 s for debriefing

lobby idling to 25 minutes
lobbyIdleTimeout = 1500 ; // was 300s (+5 seconds vs any of above)>defined value

server.cfg settings

votingTimeout/roleTimeout/briefingTimeout/debriefingTimeout

are server-side timeouts which say how long a server stays in a specific state

(role selection, briefing, in-game, debriefing) before it moves to another one.
Don't mistake them with "lobbyIdleTimeout" which says how long players can stay

in lobby, briefing or role selection (no matter the server's state).

note:

- those were soft-coded prior 2016 and until recently weren't exposed via server.cfg settings

- value of -1 was wrong leading to other issues, will be fixed to and not possible anymore

- value 0 or lower for votingTimeout, roleTimeout, briefingTimeout, debriefingTimeout, lobbyidleTimeout 

will disable those settings

3. added new value to correctly switch off lobbyidleTimeout

LobbyIdleTimeout = 0; //to turns off the timeout kicks

yet, completely new and different usage has server.cfg setting

lobbyIdleTimeout which covers how long client can stay in certain state on server

e.g. covers when server has already active mission as someone JIP in to idle in lobby, roles etc.

summary, the lobbyIdleTimeout is completely separate to the other timeouts,

it's also agnostic to state of server, works for JIP users too

• Thanks 3

Great! Now set defaults to 0 (opt-in), thank you.

- value of -1 ... not possible anymore

- value 0 or lower will disable

Logic? -1 < 0 last I checked.

• Haha 1

Some players get kicked several times at once when connecting.

arma3_x642019-05-1009edjbj.jpg arma3_x642019-05-1009iiko5.jpg arma3_x642019-05-1013flkmx.jpg arma3_x642019-05-1013w4j84.jpg

53 minutes ago, jonpas said:

Great! Now set defaults to 0 (opt-in), thank you.

Logic? -1 < 0 last I checked.

as i explained that -1 was wrong and bugged ... 

hi @Dwarden ,

we have a problem since 1.92 if we have more then 180 Players the server has a strange behaviour and kicks all players i habe a graf to show it to you.

All Logs are Clean.

HmrimHH.png

1.92.145681 new PROFILING branch with PERFORMANCE binaries, v03, server and client, windows 32/64-bit, included linux 32-bit server

+ crash fixes (not included in 1.92.main yet)
+ new default timeout values

votingTimeOut = 600; // was 60 s for voting //vote phase to 10 minutes

roleTimeOut = 900; // was 90 s for lobby //role selection phase to 15 minutes

briefingTimeOut = 600; // was 60 s for briefing //pre-game briefing to to 10 minutes

debriefingTimeOut = 600; // was 45 s for debriefing //post-mission briefing to 10 minutes

lobbyIdleTimeout = 1500; // was 300s (+5 seconds vs any of above)>defined value // lobby idling to 25 minutes

+ lobbyIdleTimeout supports now value of 0 to turn off timeout kicks

e.g. in server.cfg LobbyIdleTimeout = 0; //disable lobbyIdleTimeout kick

+ fix for kickTimeout kick due onHackedData/onDifferentData/onUnsignedData where timer from kickID 0 was used instead of kickID 3

kickTimeout supports now value of 0 to disable kick 

e.g. in server.cfg kickTimeout[] = { {0,0},{1,0},{2,0},{3,0}} ; // disable kickTimeout for all four kickID types

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/3BSy9PdRGm

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B03-H4YIbhkFMUt5RzNqZjFlNGs

available via STEAMclient/STEAMcmd as branch too,

read https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Steam_Branches#Arma_3_Server

BIForum feedback: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-184-performance-binary-feedback/?do=getLastComment

Arma anything discord:  https://discord.gg/arma

• Like 1

next time please make this sort of thing OPT-IN this been a constant annoyance for our team while we plan during the briefing phase, which has always been the point of the briefing screen, to read briefings and tasks and plan the execution of the mission which normally means people sitting idle listening to the plan etc, so to mess with that was just a pain. also, today was the first day I have had a chance to fix this stupid time out thing on our server due to a busy life and work schedule, and to find this post has taken a lot of googling to get me where I needed to be. about the only time, most of us get to do this sort of thing is on our days off. so for the past few weeks, this has been a problem, affecting mission-critical scripts and the like.

this is a good feature for SOME servers but NOT ALL, so, please make things like this opt-in in the future. save people who don't need it the hassle of turning the damn thing off (also please make sure it can actually be turned off when implemented, not after the community begs you to make it so) 

• Like 3