Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.16 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

I run the same mission and I certainly don't get 4-5 fps. O think the lowest I ever got was 20 fps. I'm afk until tomorrow but will check ASM then. We had over 30 players on the other night and no clients complained.

we have updated to the latest 0.9g version of A3Wasteland when it was released...

it was a bit better before...(but not much)

Probably poor server configuration in regards to arma3.cfg. Getting these values wrong will strangle the box.

yeah then please... feel free to enlighten me... how do i set it up "correctly" then?

or better say... how can it be set up incorrectly?

Edited by Gagi2

After 5.5 hours uptime with a3wasteland Altis 0.9g and perf4 and about 10-15 players on today:

sqJyo3u.jpg

I don't have the building loot spawn enabled

I'm using the default server.cfg and arma3profile

Power settings are on performance mode in windows

So after 5.5 hours, a steady 24-30 FPS. CPS takes a dive every 2 minutes for about 2 minutes

45 minutes after restart:

UiV1Efb.jpg

Edited by jumbobreakfast

^^ Also remember jumbo that FPSMin is a real test of lag for players too, but what you are posting seems reasonable.

yeah then please... feel free to enlighten me... how do i set it up "correctly" then?

or better say... how can it be set up incorrectly?

I would really like to know this too. What is the setting that I can change to drop my server fps to 5?

get 50 players on it and you will get it ^^

Just read through the forums and wiki for every value in arma3.cfg and do lots of testing. Every server is different so no one can give you the required settings.

Just read through the forums and wiki for every value in arma3.cfg and do lots of testing. Every server is different so no one can give you the required settings.

my testing found no value in arma3.cfg that will make a server start at a certain fps and then degrade over time.

my forum/wiki search resulted in no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that a misconfiguration can cause a degradation of FPS over time.

Perhaps if BIS were to provide a template mission and testing parameters for us, we could help to debug this even further. At the moment it seems like a black art to have a perfectly setup server.

We are willing to help, and the PERF binaries are a great step in optimisation, however if what we are optimising is already out of whack then it won't do a lot of good.

That's a good idea. I use default arma3.cfg and I think my ama3profile is default (although it still has those old skill and precision settings) but for perf testing it would be good to have a standard reference to check against.

Perhaps if BIS were to provide a template mission and testing parameters for us, we could help to debug this even further. At the moment it seems like a black art to have a perfectly setup server.

We are willing to help, and the PERF binaries are a great step in optimisation, however if what we are optimising is already out of whack then it won't do a lot of good.

very good idea atm its hard to tell if the mission sucks or the server.exe sucks or the server box sucks

CZ04 now runs new PERF5 performance binary, with some threading, parallel related optimizing and new 3GB maxmem limit (+1GB compared to perf4)

major changes are:

-maxmem= block limit increased from 2GB to 3GB

- improved paralelization (the more native cores the better (beware to use HT, that's still todo for resolve))

* note there is actually major difference between -cpuCount=3 and -cpuCount=4 and even quite noticeable with -cpuCount=8

(going to test 12+ to 31 soon (yes I have 20(40) core server now ;))

CZ04 now runs new PERF5 performance binary, with some threading, parallel related optimizing and new 3GB maxmem limit (+1GB compared to perf4)

major changes are:

-maxmem= block limit increased from 2GB to 3GB

- improved paralelization (the more native cores the better (beware to use HT, that's still todo for resolve))

* note there is actually major difference between -cpuCount=3 and -cpuCount=4 and even quite noticeable with -cpuCount=8

(going to test 12+ to 31 soon (yes I have 20(40) core server now ;))

Let's go then. :D

1_thumb_bis_2a6d8e4c6617cb0a.jpg

Early signs are VERY encouraging, Dwarden.

Though we've not got a large number of people on the box yet, the FPS has been consistently high during play, the FPS 'hits' when the server has to do something like spawning lots of AI are reduced and there's been less of the gradual degradation of FPS as the mission goes on. Also, no crashes so far on server or HC.

About cpucount and maxmem, is it actually worth using these parameters now? Previously, letting the game set them itself was the best option.

Edited by Tankbuster

it's up to you, if you see the game server is using lot of memory you may try fiddle with the 2047-3072 range for -maxmem=

the -cpuCound default shall work fine yet you may try set it now equal to all cores (including HT) so e.g. -cpuCount=8 on quad Xeon/i7 with HT

as the HT shall be sort of supported now (lil better)

i just found the post with the tbbmalloc extended from 2gb to 3gb

LINK

i havent tried it out yet...

so my question would be... should we combine these 2 things here? or use the perf5 only?

I use both ;) anyway I use the test version which isn't yet ready for public

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

37.187.132.224:2302 , hi everyone, i'm in need of players ;) want to see what's max limit with 20 native cores used on that monster while utilizing PERF5

In the past I have always gone for HT off ... but perhaps with this new magic perhaps I'll be putting it on !

37.187.132.224:2302

37.187.132.224:2402

testing two 127 player servers

PERF4 isn't newest, PERF5 is the new king ;)