Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.16 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

Dorph;2579520']Hmm so where do we get this to test ?

Also when i see the to BIS test servers' date=' the are running the ver 1.8.113494 same ver as in latest stable build.

Is it only avail through steamcmd?[/quote']

My guess is, it's a profiled binary (+ with some diagnostic code cut out), which is currently available only on BIS hosted servers.

I reckon, they're gathering more profiling data to build next version with even more optimization, which will then be deployed as a "patch without patch" (i.e. without version change)

You can easily find which server is running this optimized binary filtering [PERF]

How do I get my hands on this? I am on the Seattle Server (Only good BECTI North American server) and the server is full every night. We could provide an excellent testing platform to really see if there is improvement.

Steam >> Library >> Tools >> Arma 3 Server

:)

you can't get hands on the 1.08 Performance server binary unless you on the server admins skype channels or pmed me about it on skype ...

it's mainly aimed to test some of the tweaks and optimizations we did ... build number is same so it's compatible with 1.08 normal a3 clients

that's normal 1.08 server standalone data package ...

there are now these distributions

1. Arma 3 client (need own Arma 3 game, needs STEAMclient)

2. Arma 3 Server (standalone data package, no need to own Arma 3 Game, no need for STEAMclient, can be downloaded via STEAMcmd)

3. experimental performance arma 3 server binary (ideal to use with data from 3.)

4. experimental debug & profilling arma 3 server binary (ideal to use with data from 3.)

@Dwarden, are the performance arma 3 server binaryies still online via steamcmd (id?)

no, PERFORMANCE binary is special manually build exe... avalailable on demand by me (e.g. skype)

Any way i can get my hands on this "performance binary"?

This exact question has already been asked and answered:

you can't get hands on the 1.08 Performance server binary unless you on the server admins skype channels or pmed me about it on skype ...

it's mainly aimed to test some of the tweaks and optimizations we did ... build number is same so it's compatible with 1.08 normal a3 clients

@Dwarden. Testing the latest server build (from yesterday) and it seems just as stable as the previous good one. No issues so far - 300AI and FPS remains around 30FPS. I'm testing with Bennys BECTI 0.97 (and using ASM to monitor) and have noticed that although the FPS remains high with that number of 'conditions per second CPS' can fall to the floor. I don't know if this is a consequence of the mission or the sheer number of AI. I know that you were planning such a large test yourself, albeit mine was without players (just me). Any insights?

Also with this wonder build ... what did the DEVs change? Or is that secret ;)

Any plans to make this public before x-mas, could be as a server.exe beta if its compatible with latest stable.

If problems should occour during hollidays people would always have the stable to fall back to. Then there

would also be good feedback when the new work-year starts again.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

I'd appreciate it if the known 'incorrect password' issue was also fixed for the Headless Client (HC) with these 'test' builds :)

Hi,

Really a good news. I hope we'll be able to get an official release soon.

We've created a little mission with Alive mod for a massive frontline war (lot of CQB and AI moves over Altis), and it would be really great if we could perform some tests with this dev version ("Armadeus" server).

Keep going the good job,

Rgds,

Sebj

yes, would be cool if HC now would work with password. Also beside that a question: will -nologs also work on dedicated servers? for testing of course with logs, but on events i just want maximum performance.

Att Bis - Blazing FPS on that new server performance binary.

Server currently running 30fps where with old server.exe would be aprx

10-15fps - very nice things go the right way.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

So what's the server available on Steam?

(I'm very confused now)!

I was very confused too. First I thought the new SteamCMD server has is the new "optimized" binary. It runs great too but maybe it was a placebo effect.

Are there any major performance changes in the server release in comparison to the "old" arma3server.exe?

Edited by NeoArmageddon

I would apreciate performance binaries for the linux dedicated. It seems for me that the linux files were just a little cookie for the linux dedi users, while the windows files were continous upgraded...

yes, would be cool if HC now would work with password. Also beside that a question: will -nologs also work on dedicated servers? for testing of course with logs, but on events i just want maximum performance.

HC problem vs passworded servers is being worked on, no promise on hotfix this year (wish i can but i can't)

-nologs works on all clients and server also dedicated and not dedicated :)

and best is you You may even try to use this new allocator from fred41 http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163640-Arma3-and-the-LARGEADDRESSAWARE-flag-(memory-allocation-gt-2GB)&p=2581683&viewfull=1#post2581683

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

I would apreciate performance binaries for the linux dedicated. It seems for me that the linux files were just a little cookie for the linux dedi users, while the windows files were continous upgraded...

i'm sorrry but i fear i can't deliver that this year :(

HC problem vs passworded servers is being worked on, no promise on hotfix this year (wish i can but i can't)

LOL

And no updates until 14 January, BIG HOLIDAYS for BIS employees !!!

Excuse my ignorance on this (I'm not a server admin or deeply technical), but are any of these optimisations likely to be transferable to single player, or are they just server related ? Some of the people I know are lucky enough to have half decent old machines or parts around, and I wonder if there is a way of getting a performance boost using this hardware by setting up a local LAN, although I would imagine a full second license would be needed. Or am I just trying to invent an SP headless client ? Maybe thats a possible DLC - I would buy it.

cj

Excuse my ignorance on this (I'm not a server admin or deeply technical), but are any of these optimisations likely to be transferable to single player, or are they just server related ? Some of the people I know are lucky enough to have half decent old machines or parts around, and I wonder if there is a way of getting a performance boost using this hardware by setting up a local LAN, although I would imagine a full second license would be needed. Or am I just trying to invent an SP headless client ? Maybe thats a possible DLC - I would buy it.

cj

Why don't you run a dedicated server on your quad core, and play your missions as multiplayer missions on the same PC? Your install comes with a server executable that you can use for this, it's pretty straightforward to set up. Your specs are almost the same as mine, bar I have a GTX680, in Arma 2 I could run large (300+ AI) missions like this and get a solid minimum 40FPS on the client and 50FPS on the server with a 4500 view distance. I would also recommend using Fred's memory allocator http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163640-Arma3-and-the-LARGEADDRESSAWARE-flag-(memory-allocation-gt-2GB)

Edited by jiltedjock

Thanks JJ - is there a guide/thread to setup a dedicated server ?

cj