Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.16 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

that nocrash2 is just experimental variant of nocrash1, unless you get weird crashes often you shall avoid it

now there is new PERF1 and PROF1 (profiling) for 1.14hotfix

in this case the gains shall be visible in misions with AI

Thanks for all of your hard work Dwarden. I have noticed significant improvement in overall client/server side FPS in our mission. I've been hosting 30-49 players each night and even under a full load of 49 people and 50-150 AI running around our server FPS are hovering around 15-20 FPS. Client side FPS show almost not signs of being affected by server side FPS, which is a great thing.

I just updated our server with your new .exe, if I see any positive/negative results I will let you know.

-SS

Holy crap ! I'm in the middle of testing Benny's Warfare 0.97 which NORMALLY after about 10 minutes grinds the server to a halt. However I am running the latest PEFG binary (posted about 4 hours ago) and I'm sitting at 280 AI units with FPS at 48 and CPS at 44 !! Monitoring the dedi server with ASM of course! Whatever you guys are doing at BIS regarding server optimisation for christ sake KEEP GOING !

This ..... is ..... amazing !

EDIT: Well it was too much to hope for ... but I was able to play with full AI (around 300) for around 2 hours, until the CPS hit the floor. FPS stay pretty high thoughout.

Edited by Kremator

if you want you can use the profiling build then via battleye rcon console you can do #captureFrame which will generate diag report into RPT

it helps if that's done several times (e.g. 5) in row each 1-2s

ofc then i need the RPT file ;)

Holy crap ! I'm in the middle of testing Benny's Warfare 0.97 which NORMALLY after about 10 minutes grinds the server to a halt. However I am running the latest PEFG binary (posted about 4 hours ago) and I'm sitting at 280 AI units with FPS at 48 and CPS at 44 !! Monitoring the dedi server with ASM of course! Whatever you guys are doing at BIS regarding server optimisation for christ sake KEEP GOING !

This ..... is ..... amazing !

EDIT: Well it was too much to hope for ... but I was able to play with full AI (around 300) for around 2 hours, until the CPS hit the floor. FPS stay pretty high thoughout.

@Kremator, that's really a good news. Unfortunately I didn't had the time to test it on our server. I just would like to know if you saw a big impact on the client side?

thanks,

sebj

Hey sebj. Normally when hosting on my dedi with BECTI 0.97 I play for around 10 minutes (up to the point where the AI commander makes a SHEDLOAD of AI troops) with good FPS and CPS (conditions per second). With the standard server.exe the FPS and CPS hit the floor at this stage. With the newest PERF exe I found that FPS and CPS remained high even though there were lots of AI on the field (around 300). This remained high, with very good gameplay from AI, all performing as they should, until after about 2 hours where the FPS and CPS started to drop slowly (over the space of 20 minutes). Eventually, although the FPS remained at around 40, the CPS was around 5, which resulted in AI becoming a little stupid and not responsive.

I will do another test today and see if I get the same results.

Hey sebj. Normally when hosting on my dedi with BECTI 0.97 I play for around 10 minutes (up to the point where the AI commander makes a SHEDLOAD of AI troops) with good FPS and CPS (conditions per second). With the standard server.exe the FPS and CPS hit the floor at this stage. With the newest PERF exe I found that FPS and CPS remained high even though there were lots of AI on the field (around 300). This remained high, with very good gameplay from AI, all performing as they should, until after about 2 hours where the FPS and CPS started to drop slowly (over the space of 20 minutes). Eventually, although the FPS remained at around 40, the CPS was around 5, which resulted in AI becoming a little stupid and not responsive.

I will do another test today and see if I get the same results.

Thanks for your fast reply. But my question was about the FPS results on the client side not server.

Did you noticed some improvement on the client side too?

Because I saw that FPS on client side was almost dependant of FPS server side (exception is when entering in towns with AI battles in Altis and Stratis with low FPS on client <20 for most of them and even me :().

CPS drop may indicate issue in the scripting ... so directly mission or bonus scripts / mods you run ...

it may not be related to server code

Ran the new PERF1 on our server yesterday for 10+ hours. Peaking at a player count in the mid 40s with each player able to spawn in 4 AI, client FPS stayed smooth. Didn't get a chance take a look at server FPS, before the patch we were around 10-15fps I'll have to make a point to look at it today. The server did crash around 0100-0200 but the .rpt didn't show anything. Will report more later.

Full server last night I watched the server FPS every 30 sec. Hovered around 12-15fps which is the same FPS we've seen in the past. Didn't really notice any improvement over the last server.exe

This last PERF exe has crashed the server 2-3 times this week, usually under a high player load 35-48 players. We had it crash and then recover in one instance, which I thought was odd. I checked for RPT files, none showed any info regarding the crash. ....Not sure what else to look for?

PERF3 available

PERF4 out, crashes shall be fixed (so far good) and some lil perf tweak as bonus

Hi Dwarden,

I'm testing it now and seems to be good :cool:

The highest FPS are back to 50 compare to the latests test versions.

The worst case seems to be better too (no less than 25fps on the server with 130 AI and 3.3GHz Xeon)

great great!!

thanks

ye well, now all we need is get back the frames on the high player counts and it's all back right on track to steady high values ;)

Did the new update modify server.exe? Should I keep PERF4 up?

BTW, PERF4 has not crashed once since release...nice job.

you need wait for next PERF on 1.16, probably this Friday

1.16 perf1 is now being tested on CZ04 , so please join it ...

1.16 PERF1 and 1.16 PROF 1 are live https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/3BSy9PdRGm

compatible with 1.16 stable clients

password: test

newly in debug binary is command #logEntities

similar like the #captureFrame but #captureFrame by default logs to RPT

you need define manually filename like #captureFrame captureframe.log

while #logEntities shall auto log own filename

beware, the #logEntities means all entities in whole world and it's damn slow, so use it once and wait (FPS drop expected)

the PROF binary is similar like DEV and runs debug layer, while PERF has no debug layer (aka similar to STABLE)

logEntities command was written to allow track leakage like items/objects/units not being cleaned up or accumulating somewhere

also this build is like 1.17, mpstatistics has own unique filename, console might too (pid number added into it)

please report issues, share captureFrame results on populated or heavy missions (ideally repeat 5x in row)

both #captureFrame and #logEntities can be executed via BE RCON