marksinnerdemon

A hat to cause, fear, respect, and discipline and one that rules them all

So what is the one thing you just don't see in Arma 3's stylish hat resources? Fedoras, ball caps, tactical head-wear, Helmets of all shapes and colors, but anyone who is military even us Air Force guys will remember one hat, that inspires fear, awe, and respect, and will rule all new recruits. Yes you guessed it the magically terrifying, awe inspiring, idiot creating, crap creating Campaign Hat.

avak0tq_4.jpg

A little history will help the civilians and snatched from Wikipedia.

The origins of the hat can be traced to the 1840s when army troops posted in the west took to wearing civilian hats which were far more practical than the shakos or kepis then in vogue with most western armies. The name started to be used after the 1872–1876 regulations which introduced a black felt hat — which could be drab after 1883 — for fatigue use derived from the types popularized during the American Civil War. Some were worn with campaign cords mainly a form of decoration.

At least as early as 1893, hats of this type were being re-creased into pointed tops, in order to keep off rain, by British South Africa Company scouts in Africa (see photo of Maurice Gifford at left). Three years later in 1896, these scouts introduced the hat to British officer Sir Robert Baden-Powell, who in turn would introduce it to the South African Constabulary and the Boy Scouts (see below). The 1,200 Canadian troops serving under Baden-Powell were the first to wear the campaign hat as a part of their official uniform, and this very likely influenced Baden-Powell's decision to order 10,000 of the hats for the British troops.[1]

A few years later, during the Spanish–American War the standard central crease on the crown was again found to be impractical as it tended to hold the rainwater from the frequent tropical downpours. Many soldiers again reshaped the crown to form a pinched "Montana peak." The army officially adopted the peaked design on 8 September 1911 as "1911 Hat, Service, M1911 (Campaign Hat.)"

Anyways J. Bryan a civilian, former cop, and current firefighter figured out the missing object. Frankly put it is something that we don't NEED to make the game better, but like I said its iconic, it really will bring a bit of shock and awe to training, and command respect even if the wearer isn't to deserving. He also researched and found out the blue ring (which apparently stands for combat MOS) and built that in. That was something I didn't know being from Air Force world. Anyways I conned him in to putting it on Armaholic because he worked pretty hard on making it perfect, and taught me a bunch in the process. I figured I would let you guys know it is out, and some of you expert modifiers might even be able to make the iconic Marine version for your Paris Island needs (I hate that base but loved buy guns and ammo off it).

I know hes my friend, and yeah I know we are in the same clan, but he did a good job with this, and I think he should get the credit for a good job like a lot of you guys get for good work.

Anyways hope you guys enjoy it, and enjoy using it.

yonddfp_4.jpg

Armaholic link for download (almost forgot)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23806

• Like 1

OMG! you found my hat! been looking for that thing for ages. been so cold on my head.

article-2193872-14B38F6A000005DC-653_634x468.jpg

good hat! the model looks nice. seems like you captured the shape really well.

• Haha 1

Thanks, planning on adding the shadow LOD, getting the configs to read the normal and spec maps as well. (When I figure those out.) Been making 3D models for sometime, though completely new to making addons and such for arma. Same modeling technique used, just coding and everything in between is the confusing part.

About the "blue ring" The blue ring means the wearer is part of an infantry MOS. Non-infantry MOS wears the gold badge. Which will be added in as well, this was made for the unit we have established. An infantry unit, hence the "blue ring", though I've decided to expand a bit. I'm planning on adding Marine and Air force to the pack as well.

Over sometime, I may even do an actual drill sergeant uniform.

What unit is this for? (If you dont mind me asking)

Looks like a U.S. Army Infantry Drill Sergeant hat from good ol' Ft. Benning , GA. FOLLOW ME!

What unit is this for? (If you dont mind me asking)

If you're asking unit as in real world, then yes. U.S Army Infantry Drill Sergeant hat... If you're asking about the ARMA unit. For the 25th Infantry division realism unit. Can check us out here at; http://25thid.us/

OMG! you found my hat! been looking for that thing for ages. been so cold on my head.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/26/article-2193872-14B38F6A000005DC-653_634x468.jpg

good hat! the model looks nice. seems like you captured the shape really well.

I actually met R. Lee Ermey about 8 years ago at a WW2 Re-Enactment for Veterans Day in Emporia, Kansas (his birth town). Great guy. He was signing autographs most of the day and when he was suppose to quit at 7pm, the line was still over 100 people long..... he waited and signed every last autograph for the crowd. I have a lot of respect for him. Took some nice pics with him as well. :p

Also, Great Hat.

you might want to recomend using a acre volume modification, so you always shout using this hat

If I may ask, what's the classname of this already fantastic looking hat?

If I may ask' date=' what's the classname of this already fantastic looking hat?[/quote']

Campaign_hat

Edited by JBryan

Working on an update version of this. It's currently 95% completed. It will correct the RVMAT issues. Also the update will add in 3 more hats. Including, USMC, USAF and Army, although it currently is an Army Drill Sergeant hat. The second version of the Army Drill Sergeant hat will not include the blue ring around the shield.

The mod mentions variants for all branches. Where can these be found in the mod? I see campaign_hat, but that is all.

With the latest 1.78 Arma update the hat appears in between the legs. Any chance for a fix?

Thx

Well... that certainly is an image that brings a lot of jokes to mind, most of which would get me in trouble with the moderation (and with any DI that's hanging around here). :) 

• Haha 1