.kju

Community Upgrade Project

@ Alduric

From what I remember for the A1 source models BI said that you don't have to make the modified source models available with a release, yet on request you have to give it out.

After all they share the source files, so if one uses them, one should (have to) do so too.

In any case BI will clarify that part very soon.

I study hole license, and there is no " must release source ", and same info i get from devs when i gain permisions for cherno port.

I suppose I can put this here.

I'm working on a port of the SCAR that will feature new hand anims and reload animations along with materials that compliment the new engine. It will also feature a optional addon to replace the MX.

woow nice amount of work here ! i love the way that take this community ! and HJohnson you're scars are amazing if you do a replacement pack i'm sure i gonna use it ;)

This is a fantastic initiative. One question, how do you propose keeping Bullet damage and recoils consistent and proportionate between different calibre weapons. Quite important thing if all disparate addons going on here are to fit together nicely.

Brilliant idea kju! I'm completely new to Arma modding but not to game development so I'll help out however I can. Happy to do modeling/texturing/animation/config stuff as I figure out how to translate it into Arma (phew, it's a slog wading thru the ten thousand scattered modding discussions/tutorials).

@Alduric: with all due love and respect, get your thumb out and come down off your pedestal. You are porting BI assets, not creating original work. Chill out and we can all enjoy a better port of the Arma 2 content by cooperating instead of trying to create pointless little fiefdoms.

@Twisted.

We would need to make a universal ammo/magazine config that we all reference, but that is a stand alone mod.

Emm, Kju, do you mean a limited common library of game ArmA1/2/OA that we the modellers can, by default in most places, #include with like the @cba, in order to make use the former work in Arma-MOD'ing society;

Or a workspace where you and I can voluntarily contribute a model/texture/config/script or anything unlimited raw towards in our P:/ folders, so that anyone can quote or even copy and be free to use it in his work without(though some declaration of reference made) contacting us in person and vice versa?

Either way I like this idea. /LOL

I read the thread again and am confused with the license APL. If modder has to provide source under APL, then no asking is need to reuse the source because sources are already packed and given, though indirectly if it is argued, to everyone in PBO files. And it's not the case what it is now, or it will not be a must that I have to ask and wait for months before I get permission. I would been eager to tear down weapon models from released mods to use in mines if it is the case. LOL

And the version problems. What if I updated my work and people who use it found their work outdated and bugged? E.G. I changed bullet speed and their scope becomes no more accurate, or I upload a new model and their mussle turn out to be wrong. There is much more communication needed, and even though they may not know it before it is too late.

Then it comes to the servers. What if one load both MOD A and MOD B which use the same file of different version? And how should I set up my server when one use HQ variant of a mod while the other use a LQ one? I am quite confused and I appreciate who can answer it.

Edited by hiddenzone

@Hidden

Ideally we'd make a universal bullet speed/magazine setting that wouldn't' be changed by any one person. If you upload a new model, everything should continue to work the same as long as YOUR model is set up correctly. If values need to be updated, it would have to be agreed upon by those who have mods dependent on it.

Also, update on the SCAR port.

Working on the animations moving to the EGLM variant.

they(BI) never had a red light for it...

Will you add new content of your own or do you intend to just upgrade everything to A3 standard? Or possibly when you have completed that monumental task, start your own projects?

So has Bohemia interactive given green light yet, for standalone Arma II conversion/uprgrade mods ?

what would they release samples for then, to have a good laugh?

Hi, this reminds me to the JAM, back on the OFP's times, with the High Dispersion magazines etc, was a great project and really improved the game and it's gameplay; if this initiative gonna include models... i would recommend to make 'em stand alone but that go into the same Mod folder, so you (as user or server admin) can choose which to use and which models don't. IMO isn't good to install 1.4Gb of Mod to use just 80Mb of it, is a waste of resources in my eyes. Let's C ya

Glad to see you are coordinating this.

I'll be honest and say that I never felt comfortable using any project that required "non-standalone" approaches. CAA1 and AiA never tickled my fancy due to those approaches, so I hope that standalone, proper, CO+ is the option which will be used without the need to fight old configs and issues present in the old data.

I'm wondering about two things:

Since Arma 3 is big on weapon/unit modularity, do you plan on separating gear pieces which can reasonably be separated (since things like vests would probably require too much effort), so they can me mixed and matched with Arma 3 content or will it stay the same as in Arma 2? Example would be separating helmets from units, aimpoints from rifles and such.

What would be your stance on alternative data for certain assets as Arma 2 data might appear outdated when surrounded by Arma 3 content and certain community creations. Like for example, someone donating better AK/M4 models which could be used instead of the Arma 2 variants.

I think if people want to see units in A3, they'll want to do a more complex port job, to the point it almost wouldn't be a port job. Hopefully we can get some modular Taliban units, etc.

As for higher quality works, I'm sure we'll see plenty of A3 level of detail content in the coming months. I think porting is mostly to satisfy the impatient and content hungry among us. I'd rather have a good ArmA 2 M16/AR15 than nothing. Then the updated shiny packs will slowly filter in and we won't need the ports as much :)

Hi, this reminds me to the JAM, back on the OFP's times, with the High Dispersion magazines etc, was a great project and really improved the game and it's gameplay; if this initiative gonna include models... i would recommend to make 'em stand alone but that go into the same Mod folder, so you (as user or server admin) can choose which to use and which models don't. IMO isn't good to install 1.4Gb of Mod to use just 80Mb of it, is a waste of resources in my eyes. Let's C ya

Then were stuck with downloading many smaller mods that end up to the same amount. With a one time install, I can choose what ever I want and not have to restart the game to switch things and can use the vast content library without having users having to setup multiple mods.

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 ----------

I think if people want to see units in A3, they'll want to do a more complex port job, to the point it almost wouldn't be a port job. Hopefully we can get some modular Taliban units, etc.

As for higher quality works, I'm sure we'll see plenty of A3 level of detail content in the coming months. I think porting is mostly to satisfy the impatient and content hungry among us. I'd rather have a good ArmA 2 M16/AR15 than nothing. Then the updated shiny packs will slowly filter in and we won't need the ports as much :)

For what it's worth, BI hired a weapon company to design the MX series. So it could actually be built in real life.

Then were stuck ..
He is asking for another option. I see no problem with that.
For what it's worth,...
That has nothing to do with his post?

Then were stuck with downloading many smaller mods that end up to the same amount. With a one time install, I can choose what ever I want and not have to restart the game to switch things and can use the vast content library without having users having to setup multiple mods.

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 ----------

For what it's worth, BI hired a weapon company to design the MX series. So it could actually be built in real life.

actually the MX is the Masada ACR with a straight mag while the Katiba is the Chinese KH-2002

actually the MX is the Masada ACR with a straight mag while the Katiba is the Chinese KH-2002

i thought, kh-2002 was iranian?

i thought, kh-2002 was iranian?

It is (KH-2002 Khaybar) and is based on the Chinese Norinco CQ, and seems to be based on the QBZ-95 design-wise. The MX is not the Masada ACR. AngelWingGamingJacob is simply mistaken/blind lol.

The MX is not the Masada ACR. AngelWingGamingJacob is simply mistaken/blind lol.

It does look really similar, though.

It is (KH-2002 Khaybar) and is based on the Chinese Norinco CQ, and seems to be based on the QBZ-95 design-wise. The MX is not the Masada ACR. AngelWingGamingJacob is simply mistaken/blind lol.

the kh 2002 is an iranian assault rifle based on the chinese copy of the m16 which the iranians turned into a bullpup configuration hece why the bolt looks like the m16 bolt.