dazhbog

Linux Dedicated Server feedback

spotrep 00053 broke HC even more, now with 1 core assigned HC crashes.

clarify please, details ?

Tried to update to the 1.56 hotfix on Linux today so I could start hosting my server again. Wouldn't update so I ended up deleting the whole game and reinstalling it from scratch through steamcmd which got it to the right version. When I start the server I get "SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features wont's be accessible!". Then the server looks to load normally after except I can't see it from in game and can't connect remotely. I don't run with any mods and I've even tried just running the server as "./arma3server" and I still get the same error so it isn't an additional file or configuration that's causing it as far as I can tell. Usually I just use the default launch parameters "./arma3server -name=server -config=server.cfg"

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? I assume it isn't a problem with the update itself as I've seen no posts about it post update.

clarify please, details ?

Our HC is running on -cpucount=1, with signatures set to 2. After update HC would crash right away as soon as he gets connected.

I had to load PREF V2 to keep HC working.

Also server it self started to run on single cpu most of the time and performing about 30% worse than windows now.

There seems to be a maximum number of pbos the linux server will work with. If you add too many mods the server will no longer show up in the server listing. This limit seems to be around ~1024 pbos (from all addon folders). This can be reproduced by having over ~730 pbos from various mods in different addon folders as the core game as around ~230. I have increased the maximum number of files a process can open but it seems there is something in the server process that blocks it from using more than ~1024 files. 

One interesting to thing to note was that by using -> " cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr " and measuring the number of file headers currently allocated between when the process was running it was no longer running the difference would always be 1024 allocated file handlers for the Arma 3 server process. This number seems pretty static.

There seems to be a maximum number of pbos the linux server will work with. If you add too many mods the server will no longer show up in the server listing. This limit seems to be around ~1024 pbos (from all addon folders). This can be reproduced by having over ~730 pbos from various mods in different addon folders as the core game as around ~230. I have increased the maximum number of files a process can open but it seems there is something in the server process that blocks it from using more than ~1024 files. 

One interesting to thing to note was that by using -> " cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr " and measuring the number of file headers currently allocated between when the process was running it was no longer running the difference would always be 1024 allocated file handlers for the Arma 3 server process. This number seems pretty static.

That's an operating system limitation - run the command "ulimit -a" and check the value for "open files". I bet it's 1024.

Raise the limit for max open files using ulimit -n. For example: try this

ulimit -n 2048

before starting the Arma 3 server.

That's an operating system limitation - run the command "ulimit -a" and check the value for "open files". I bet it's 1024.

Raise the limit for max open files using ulimit -n. For example: try this

ulimit -n 2048

before starting the Arma 3 server.

Thanks for trying to help :).

Though I did mention that I already raised the limits. To clarify ulimit -n returns 10000 (10 thousand)

Hi Dwarden, 

Here is some new RTP spam in v4 loaded

Overflow

Overflow
Overflow
Overflow
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _enabled
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _source->AccessSourceType()->_interval
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _source->AccessSourceType()->_lifeTime
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _source->AccessSourceType()->_moveVelocity
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _source->AccessSourceType()->_interval
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _source->AccessSourceType()->_lifeTime
 3:35:44 Error during evaluation of expression _source->AccessSourceType()->_sizeCoef

spotrep 00053 broke HC even more, now with 1 core assigned HC crashes.

i can confirm. With v4 perf, HC drops from server immediately.

For now i'm running stock arma3 server for HC and perf for server, at least it works.

Thanks for cpucount trick, btw.

i can confirm. With v4 perf, HC drops from server immediately.

For now i'm running stock arma3 server for HC and perf for server, at least it works.

Thanks for cpucount trick, btw.

Dwarden said there guys was able to replicate the issue, and working on a fix.

Lex how is the core usage on your linux server? Mine is pegging on one core and doesn't spread out processes like windows does.

What mission do you run, here is how mine setup below setup via UPSTART

# Arma 3 Server Instance

description "Arma 3 Server Instance"
author "Arma 3 Server Instance"

# When to start the service
start on stopped steamupdate

# When to stop the service
stop on runlevel [016]

# Specify working directory
chdir /home/arma3/steam/steamapps

# Automatically restart process if crashed
respawn limit 3 10

# Specify the process/command to start

script

exec sudo -u arma3 taskset -c 0-5 ./arma3server -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=2048 -crashDiag -name=server -config=startup/server.cfg -nobenchmark -noSound -noLogs -loadMissionToMemory -world=empty -par=startup/modload.txt  > /home/arma3/steam/steamapps/startup/log/arma3server.log 2>&1

end script

post-stop script
    # Clean up logs
    rm /var/log/upstart/arma3server.log;
    rm /home/arma3/steam/steamapps/startup/log/arma3server.log;
end script

Hello :)

Not sure, it s the right place, i have a problem since last server version it s seems AI Tank vehicles didn't move anymore.

_wp = _group addWaypoint [_position, 25];
            _wp setWaypointPosition [_position, 25];
            _wp setWaypointType "MOVE";
            _wp setWaypointSpeed "FULL";
            _group setCurrentWaypoint _wp;

didn't have any effect (same thing with move, and domove command).

But the same code still works in local.

Hello Dwarden,

Yes i think, it s the stable linux dedicated server. I use this version command to update :

app_update 233780 validate

This bug is very strange, sometimes the vehicles begins to move, and finaly stop to next waypoint.

code i think its your mission related problem, create test dedicated server on your windows box and test it.

Dwarden with the V3, V4 our server population decreased in half due to constant memory crashes for users.

This happens to both Linux and Windows servers.

The crashes happening between initial connection to server to mission loading.

This worked for me to be able to play -malloc=system

This is the error file.php?id=56

code i think its your mission related problem, create test dedicated server on your windows box and test it.

it works on local dedicated server with windows, as it works on local client :)

any news about this ? does someone reproduce the problem on linux ? :)

@omon you aware that v5 is already out?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-156-performance-binary-feedback/page-68?p=3005240#entry3005240

also if there are crashes with v3,4,5

please remember to compress the crash log files and dumps (MDMP, BIDMP) into archive (7z, rar, zip)

then upload those to dropbox, google drive or similar and send me PM to my forum box or similar (Skype, discord ...)

it's hard to fix crashes and similar w/o the files reaching us in first place ;)

@code34 , by pure chance did you tested that bug vs 1.58 RC (Release Candidate) ?

@code34 , by pure chance did you tested that bug vs 1.58 RC (Release Candidate) ?

is there a linux server compatible with the 1.58 RC ? :) (it certainly a dedicated server side problem)

yes, Linux server should be available with RC

do you know what steam command line i have to use to switch on RC version ?

i don't find the information :(

app_update 233780 validate

just try to update the server but it seems to have no effect on the waypoint problem

in my logs i saw this :

"23:18:37 BattlEye Server: Starting with Arma 3 1.58 all server admins will have to define a dedicated port (and IP, if desired) in BEServer.cfg in order to be able to use BE RCon. New settings "RConIP" and "RConPort" will be available for this purpose in BE Server v1.209."

but i dont know how to check elsewhere if it s the good version (1.58rc).

note: i kept local client in 1.56 cause i m not able to see the server if i update it to 1.58 rc