dazhbog

Linux Dedicated Server feedback

thanks for the report

Dwarden, any idea if the headless client + signaturescheck=2 not working is a configuration issue or an actual bug?

It must be a bug, I've tried every single way to get around it with no success.

Dwarden, any idea if the headless client + signaturescheck=2 not working is a configuration issue or an actual bug?

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16526

I don't know if that is the same issue.

Will be there a patch to get Missions to be run also with capital letters in the foldername and filename? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20467

Can anybody gimme a hint how I can get the missions running?

Ok I got the Missions running, ok most of them. I changed the upper to lowercase with this:

zip -r ../foo.zip ./*

unzip -LL foo.zip

All the shellscript I found, changed only the files and not the foldernames.

What I find out is, that -name= and -profiles= are not working like I expected it.

-profiles=tdm

^will create a folder tdm in the arma3 folder, every file in it will be ignored

-name=tdm

^will create a folder tdm in ~/.local/share/Arma\ 3\ -\ Other\ Profiles/

and it will create a file tdm.Arma3Profile there with the content:

version=1;

blood=1;

volumeCD=5;

volumeFX=5;

volumeSpeech=5;

singleVoice=0;

gamma=1;

brightness=1;

It should have the content like this, shouldn't it?

version=2;

viewDistance=3000;

preferredObjectViewDistance=3000;

terrainGrid=12.5;

activeKeys[]=

{

};

class Difficulties

{.....

If I change it to this content, I can change the difficulty on my server. If I place tdm.Arma3Profile anywhere else, it is not working, I made a symlink to ./arma3/sc/users/tdm/tdm.arma3profile (ln -s ${CFG_DIR}/${NAME}/${NAME}.arma3profile ~/.local/share/Arma\ 3\ -\ Other\ Profiles/${NAME}/${NAME}.Arma3Profile see below) to get the file working where it should be.

I made a startscript for Arma 3: http://pastebin.com/q2mdcd1i

Features:

(start|stop|restart|status|check|log)

log = it will show you the actual logfile like "tail -f", no more need for using "screen" or something else

check = it will check if the nessecarry files and folders are there and it will tell you also what to do

Every start, the script will zip all logfiles and move the to an old folder.

All old zipped lofiles will be deleted after x days (x = 7, you can configure it in the script)

I placed all user files in one folder ${ARMA_DIR}/sc/users/${NAME} (basic.cfg, server.cfg, arma3profile and the battleye folder)

Ok I got the Missions running, ok most of them. I changed the upper to lowercase with this:

zip -r ../foo.zip ./*

unzip -LL foo.zip

All the shellscript I found, changed only the files and not the foldernames.

What I find out is, that -name= and -profiles= are not working like I expected it.

-profiles=tdm

^will create a folder tdm in the arma3 folder, every file in it will be ignored

-name=tdm

^will create a folder tdm in ~/.local/share/Arma\ 3\ -\ Other\ Profiles/

and it will create a file tdm.Arma3Profile there with the content:

It should have the content like this, shouldn't it?

If I change it to this content, I can change the difficulty on my server. If I place tdm.Arma3Profile anywhere else, it is not working, I made a symlink to ./arma3/sc/users/tdm/tdm.arma3profile (ln -s ${CFG_DIR}/${NAME}/${NAME}.arma3profile ~/.local/share/Arma\ 3\ -\ Other\ Profiles/${NAME}/${NAME}.Arma3Profile see below) to get the file working where it should be.

I made a startscript for Arma 3: http://pastebin.com/q2mdcd1i

Features:

(start|stop|restart|status|check|log)

log = it will show you the actual logfile like "tail -f", no more need for using "screen" or something else

check = it will check if the nessecarry files and folders are there and it will tell you also what to do

Every start, the script will zip all logfiles and move the to an old folder.

All old zipped lofiles will be deleted after x days (x = 7, you can configure it in the script)

I placed all user files in one folder ${ARMA_DIR}/sc/users/${NAME} (basic.cfg, server.cfg, arma3profile and the battleye folder)

Thanks for all this information. I will have to test out what you did and see if i can get it to go to ~/.local. As of right now we do not have that folder but it may be because we have the profiles param still in our startup. I swear I tried it without that param as well, but I will try it again. Again thanks for all the info and hope it gets fixed in the next update... Would be nice so we can keep all our server files in one folder (or even for those who don't have access to that folder because the have game hosting)

The .local folder is in the user folder of the server (the one where your steam folder is located). In our case the user is called server, the location is

home/server/.local/share/ , here you find the arma Profile folders. Use WinSCP to connect to your server for upload, editing... files, maybe easier to find the hidden folder.

The .local folder is in the user folder of the server (the one where your steam folder is located). In our case the user is called server, the location is

home/server/.local/share/ , here you find the arma Profile folders. Use WinSCP to connect to your server for upload, editing... files, maybe easier to find the hidden folder.

I know that. It doesnt exist lol

Strange, we use two Debian 7 Rootservers. After first armaserver start with the -name=blabla parameter the profile folders are located there.

Maybe a problem with permissions ?

The folder will be there, after you start the mission when I am remember right. You don't need to be root, cause the folder belongs to the account which starts armaserver.

My startscript is now V1.01 http://pastebin.com/q2mdcd1i

### V 1.01 - 28.03.2015

### added BEPATH and changed handling of logfiles in ${ARMA_DIR}

Game Update: 1.42

passwordAdmin = "test"; (server.cfg) seem to be broken

connected to server: #login test

log: Wrong admin password entered by player

worked till 1.42

http://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00040

"Fixed: "password" serverCommand stopped working"

seems to be wrong.

just note that "password" serverCommand is something else than #login

you can now use within server-side scripting alternative syntax for serverCommand,

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/serverCommand

if serverCommandPassword is defined in server.cfg

broken #login seems to be issue related to unique case (maybe multiple IP/NIC on both client/server or language combination)

atm I and QA can't replicate it

just note that "password" serverCommand is something else than #login

you can now use within server-side scripting alternative syntax for serverCommand,

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/serverCommand

if serverCommandPassword is defined in server.cfg

thanks for explanation.

i redownloaded&verfied the a3linux dedi to another dir, stopped all other arma servers on the box, and used same cfg as before, now its working again, so the error was on my side, thanks for the quick response ;)

btw <3 marksmen

ins0 (creator of armasquads) and I did a lot of research on the squad xml files today and we have found out what is exactly happening and not happening with squad xmls. He has fixed his site for squad xmls on linux, but the icon is still not shown and is never requested by the server either. Please read his post on the feedback ticket for all the info regarding our tests:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22506

Yep, the dedi tries to read the squad picture file from the server's working directory instead of fetching it from the web server where the squad.xml is.

Then, an error message similar to the following is logged in the server's log file (eg log.2302.txt):

Can't find real path "mysquad.paa": "No such file or directory"

2015/04/11, 12:00:22 error: Invalid file extension "mysquad.paa".

Apparently I'm doing something wrong here...

After fixing my issue with the GLIBCXX_3.4.15 error, I'm now getting this error (below). I already tried a clean reinstall of the steamcmd and the serverdata. :confused:

1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProne not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustDown not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustUp not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustLeft not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustRight not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouch not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustDown not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustUp not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustLeft not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustRight not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStand not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustDown not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustUp not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustLeft not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustRight not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Error context ?**?????H?g      ??g     X?g     ????RbgH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????c)H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????d+H?g      ??g     X?g     ????f-H?g       ??g     X?g     ????:g'H?g      ??gX?g  ????ah?H?g      ??g     X?g     ????Ci?H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????i?H?g      ??g     X?g?????k?H?g   ??g     X?g     ?????l?H?g      ??g     X?g     ????wn?H?g      ??g     X?g     ????NoMH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????q?H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????rH?g       ??g     X?g     ?????t?H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????uH?g       ??g     X?g     ?????vH?g       ??g     X?g     ?????wH?g       ??gX?g  ?????xTH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????y<H?g      ??g     X?g     ????#{dH?g      ??g     X?g?????|[H?g   ??g     X?g     ?????}7H?g      ??g     X?g     ????9H?g        ??g     X?g     ????R?TH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????? H?g      ??g     X?g     ????Æ‚"H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????$H?g       ??g     X?g     ????
                  ?H?g        ??g     X?g     ????%?H?g       ??g     X?g     ???????H?g      ??gX?g  ????%?gH?g      ??g     X?g     ??????)H?g      ??g     X?g     ??????+H?g      ??g     X?g??????-H?g   ??g     X?g     ?????'H?g       ??g     X?g     ????4??H?g      ??g     X?g     ??????H?g       ??g     X?g     ???????H?g      ??g     X?g     ????a??H?g      ??g     X?g     ????&??H?g      ??g     X?g     ??????
1:16:57 EPE manager release (0|0|0)
1:16:57 EPE manager release (0|1|0)
1:16:57 ../lib/Network/networkServer.cpp ClearNetServer:NOT IMPLEMENTED - briefing!
1:16:58 [ERROR] cannot save. [filename]=/root/.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles\Player\Saved\steam\meta\cacheItems.map
File , line 0: '.': '?' encountered instead of '='
1:16:58 Extensions:

Here are the full logs of the process: (i ran as root and normal user but both are getting the same problems

1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProne not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustDown not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustUp not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustLeft not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureProneAdjustRight not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouch not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustDown not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustUp not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustLeft not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureCrouchAdjustRight not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStand not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustDown not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustUp not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustLeft not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Preloaded texture textureStandAdjustRight not found in bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/CfgStanceIndicatorTextures/
1:16:57 Error context ?**?????H?g      ??g     X?g     ????RbgH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????c)H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????d+H?g      ??g     X?g     ????f-H?g       ??g     X?g     ????:g'H?g      ??gX?g  ????ah?H?g      ??g     X?g     ????Ci?H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????i?H?g      ??g     X?g?????k?H?g   ??g     X?g     ?????l?H?g      ??g     X?g     ????wn?H?g      ??g     X?g     ????NoMH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????q?H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????rH?g       ??g     X?g     ?????t?H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????uH?g       ??g     X?g     ?????vH?g       ??g     X?g     ?????wH?g       ??gX?g  ?????xTH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????y<H?g      ??g     X?g     ????#{dH?g      ??g     X?g?????|[H?g   ??g     X?g     ?????}7H?g      ??g     X?g     ????9H?g        ??g     X?g     ????R?TH?g      ??g     X?g     ?????? H?g      ??g     X?g     ????Æ‚"H?g      ??g     X?g     ?????$H?g       ??g     X?g     ????
                  ?H?g        ??g     X?g     ????%?H?g       ??g     X?g     ???????H?g      ??gX?g  ????%?gH?g      ??g     X?g     ??????)H?g      ??g     X?g     ??????+H?g      ??g     X?g??????-H?g   ??g     X?g     ?????'H?g       ??g     X?g     ????4??H?g      ??g     X?g     ??????H?g       ??g     X?g     ???????H?g      ??g     X?g     ????a??H?g      ??g     X?g     ????&??H?g      ??g     X?g     ??????
1:16:57 EPE manager release (0|1|0)
1:16:57 ../lib/Network/networkServer.cpp ClearNetServer:NOT IMPLEMENTED - briefing!
1:16:58 [ERROR] cannot save. [filename]=/root/.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles\Player\Saved\steam\meta\cacheItems.map
File , line 0: '.': '?' encountered instead of '='
1:16:58 Extensions:

TIA :) jj_wedemeyer

And apparently pastebin links should be allowed for less then one day old users

Edited by jj_wedemeyer
Comment

I'm getting a segfault as soon as I try loading into my server.

I can connect and get to the part to pick your slot, but as soon as it starts recieving mission files, client is stuck at 0% and server throws a bunch of messages and eventually faults.

server output:

15:13:29 Roles assigned.
15:13:29 Reading mission ...
15:13:29 Starting mission:
15:13:29  Mission file: co60_AW_Invade_Annex_2_82D (__cur_mp)
15:13:29  Mission world: Altis
15:13:29  Mission directory: mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\
15:13:29 EPE manager release (0|0|0)
15:13:29 EPE manager release (0|0|0)
Can't find real path "a3\map_altis\data\roads\roads.shp": "No such file or directory"

15:13:33 Strange convex component08 in a3\structures_f_epb\civ\garbage\garbagecontainer_closed_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:33 Strange convex component10 in a3\structures_f_epb\civ\garbage\garbagecontainer_closed_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:33 Strange convex component145 in a3\plants_f\tree\t_pinuss2s_b_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:33 Strange convex component149 in a3\plants_f\tree\t_pinuss2s_b_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:34 Strange convex component01 in a3\structures_f_epc\civ\accessories\beachbooth_01_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:34 Strange convex component02 in a3\structures_f_epc\civ\accessories\beachbooth_01_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:34 Strange convex component03 in a3\structures_f_epc\civ\accessories\beachbooth_01_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:34 Strange convex component04 in a3\structures_f_epc\civ\accessories\beachbooth_01_f.p3d:geometryView
15:13:37 EPE manager release (0|0|0)
15:13:37 EPE manager release (0|0|0)
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_list
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpreinit
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpostinit
Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listrecompile
Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missiontaskslocal
Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionconversationslocal
Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionflow
15:13:42 Warning: looped for animation: a3\cargoposes_f\anim\passenger_scooter_01.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: passenger_scooter_01
15:13:42 Warning: looped for animation: a3\cargoposes_f\anim\passenger_scooter_02.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: passenger_scooter_02
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
steam@dedi:~/steamcmd/arma3$

My coredump:

[New LWP 5855]
[New LWP 5865]
[New LWP 5869]
[New LWP 5856]
[New LWP 5874]
[New LWP 5866]
[New LWP 5873]
[New LWP 5868]
[New LWP 5864]
[New LWP 5867]
[New LWP 5863]
[New LWP 5870]
[New LWP 5871]
[New LWP 5872]
[New LWP 5881]
[New LWP 5875]
[New LWP 5882]
[New LWP 5876]
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `./arma3server -name=server -config=server.cfg -world=empty'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0xe3e0c921 in ?? () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

I'm running this on debian with kernel 3.14.32

The folder will be there, after you start the mission when I am remember right. You don't need to be root, cause the folder belongs to the account which starts armaserver.

My startscript is now V1.01 http://pastebin.com/q2mdcd1i

know this is a late response, but the folders still do not exist. My startup line is below:

-netlog -config=server.cfg -cfg=basic.cfg -mod=@extDB;@life_server -bepath=/home/ogp_agent/OGP_User_Files/altislife/battleye -name=ggc

Nothing in .local as it does not exist. Permissions should be correct or else the server wouldnt be able to run. Not running as root as someone said it shouldnt be needed.

know this is a late response, but the folders still do not exist. My startup line is below:

-netlog -config=server.cfg -cfg=basic.cfg -mod=@extDB;@life_server -bepath=/home/ogp_agent/OGP_User_Files/altislife/battleye -name=ggc

That needs to be

-netlog -config=server.cfg -cfg=basic.cfg -mod=@extDB\;@life_server -bepath=/home/ogp_agent/OGP_User_Files/altislife/battleye -name=ggc

or

-netlog -config=server.cfg -cfg=basic.cfg -mod='@extDB;@life_server' -bepath=/home/ogp_agent/OGP_User_Files/altislife/battleye -name=ggc

That needs to be

-netlog -config=server.cfg -cfg=basic.cfg -mod=@extDB\;@life_server -bepath=/home/ogp_agent/OGP_User_Files/altislife/battleye -name=ggc

or

-netlog -config=server.cfg -cfg=basic.cfg -mod='@extDB;@life_server' -bepath=/home/ogp_agent/OGP_User_Files/altislife/battleye -name=ggc

I went to make sure what my startup param was after I saw this becuase I realized what I posted shouldn't have worked at all. Then I remembered I copied that line from the running processes status and not what is actually sent to start the server. The actual command is:

Just like the one you posted. Everything works including battleye, just not the name command and there is still no .local folder or anywhere for me to put the profile settings.

Also, has anyone else noticed a decrease in server performance since the last update? Our server feels a lot more laggy with less people in the server... and I feel like the ambient animals have also been reproducing a lot more. Use to see like 1-3 every few km's, but now there is like 10-20 while just standing still (i know these are client side, but it seems to have gotten ridiculous).

Also, has anyone else noticed a decrease in server performance since the last update? Our server feels a lot more laggy with less people in the server... and I feel like the ambient animals have also been reproducing a lot more. Use to see like 1-3 every few km's, but now there is like 10-20 while just standing still (i know these are client side, but it seems to have gotten ridiculous).

Now that you say it, I have noticed more animals too. I saw 5 rabbits within a 2m radius recently. However, animals aren't synched in MP.

Now that you say it, I have noticed more animals too. I saw 5 rabbits within a 2m radius recently. However, animals aren't synched in MP.

I know they arent, why I mentioned they were client sided in my post. Still effects performance on the client side though with having to calculate all those animals ai movements and whatnot.

Hi,

First, this post really help me to get my Arma3 server up on CentOS 7, so thank for the help.

I have a question, my server have a Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 (4core/8thread, at 3.4Ghz) and 32Go DDR.

How many core and how many memory i have to dedicate to have 64 players in really good condition ? 100 players ?

Considering that this server have to host some other services, i will work with different virtual machine.

Thx in advance for the help, and sorry for my english, i'm not a natural speaker.

Morgiver

Hi,

First, this post really help me to get my Arma3 server up on CentOS 7, so thank for the help.

I have a question, my server have a Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 (4core/8thread, at 3.4Ghz) and 32Go DDR.

How many core and how many memory i have to dedicate to have 64 players in really good condition ? 100 players ?

Considering that this server have to host some other services, i will work with different virtual machine.

Thx in advance for the help, and sorry for my english, i'm not a natural speaker.

Morgiver

4GB memory for server binary, i assume 6GB for OS , 2 cpu core, i suppose you cant overclock the cpu ?

anyway , the performance limiter is more related to software itself or more precisly , PER core IPC. , AFAIK. and , intel xeon being in the equation , your case is better than AMD cpu .

by the way , congrat's B.I. on making linux server functional. , finally . 1 years after, my core² can manage a 50vs50 battefield. (mainly AI).

Edited by griffz