dazhbog

Linux Dedicated Server feedback

The Arma3Profile is looked for in ~/.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles/Player/

Folders are not created if (part of) the path is missing, that's probably why your profile files are not created.

The -name= command line parameter is read, so that will change the name of the last folder in the path, but the -profiles= seems to be ignored.

Arma3.cfg is read from ~/.local/share/Arma 3/

Thanks...

My linux box is having serious issues with dedicated server tps performance. Where as A2 was having around 40-50 tps, A3 is only between 4-6. By taking strace from the running process, it seems to do awfully lot of gettimeofday system calls. As far as i recall from A2 days, there was some date/time resolving long time ago, too. Maybe this poor performance is related to similar thing, or not.

To do some sanity checking, i tried a couple different mp missions, some A3 built in and then my own cti mission. There was no significant difference there, at least performance wise. Some other errors were there but that is not part of this feedback thread.

Here is small part of the strace (perhaps 90% of all noise was this time fetching):

gettimeofday({1387625266, 782347}, NULL) = 0

gettimeofday({1387625266, 782414}, NULL) = 0

gettimeofday({1387625266, 782461}, NULL) = 0

My 2cnts.

server starts well in linux, but when somebody wants connect, he stucks in on the loading screen seeing the stratis map from above. You are not able to connect into the lobby. Same as mapload, nothing is loading. Config is ok, works fine under win2012 dedicated performance binaries server.

can anyone help?

server starts well in linux, but when somebody wants connect, he stucks in on the loading screen seeing the stratis map from above. You are not able to connect into the lobby. Same as mapload, nothing is loading. Config is ok, works fine under win2012 dedicated performance binaries server.

can anyone help?

Nothing in the server log? In my experience with dedicated linux server, loading of any mission is just taking veeeery long time. In other words, everything the server tries to do, just takes time.

Normally my mission in working environment takes around 30 seconds to fully load. In A3 linux server, the same mission takes around 10 minutes to load...

Is it possible to enable it to send issues for linux-server to the feedback tracker page?

At this moment there I can select only windows os.

Thx- Pillord.

Has anyone been successful with running mods? It seems like my Ubuntu is trying to break the line and run a command, e.g.:

-mod=@name1;@name2

./a3.sh: line 3: @name2: command not found

Escaping the semi-colons seems to get past that error, however, the server still refuses to run the actual mods - at least that's what is reported on http://arma3.swec.se/. From what it seems if I put the -mod section right after arma3server nothing past the escape characters runs (e.g. server cfgs). If I surround the -mod:name1;@name2 section in a single quote the rest of the command line parameters are ran, but no mods appear in the list as running.

Nothing unusual in the logs or anything really relating to the mods, either. My directory looks like :

Arma 3 Server

keys, etc folders.

@name1

addons

@name2

addons

Edited by erikxcore

using the arma2 start file someone posted here can load the mods. But for some reason it loads all but the ACRE mod. Anyone know why?

#!/bin/bash

#

# armaserver: ArmA 2 Linux Dedicated Server Control Script

# © 2010 BIStudio

# ArmA 2 binary version must be 1.04 or later

#

##

## slightly addapted by DaOarge for Arma3

##

#=======================================================================

#======== CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS ========

#======== MUST BE EDITED MANUALLY TO FIT YOUR SYSTEM PARAMETERS ========

ARMA_DIR=/home/yourserverfolder

CONFIG=server.cfg

CFG=a3.cfg

PORT=2302

PIDFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.pid

RUNFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.run

LOGFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/log.a3pub.${PORT}.txt

SERVER=${ARMA_DIR}/arma3server

#OTHERPARAMS="-cpucount=2"

OTHERPARAMS="-cpucount=2 -exthreads=7"

MODS=@CBA_A3\;@ACRE_A3\,@JayArma2Lib_A3\;@Nimitz\;@ALiVE\;@LEA_A3\;@NATO_Russian_SF_Weapons\;@POMI_PMC\;@RH_M$_A3\;@sthud_a3\;@tmr\;@FA18_A3\;@VTS_Music

ulimit -c 1000000

case "$1" in

start)

if [ -f ${RUNFILE} ]; then

$0 stop

fi

echo "Starting A3 PUBLIC server..."

# file to mark we want server running...

echo "go" >${RUNFILE}

# launch the background watchdog process to run the server

nohup </dev/null >/dev/null $0 watchdog &

;;

stop)

echo "Stopping A3 PUBLIC server..."

# ask watcher process to exit by deleting its runfile...

rm -f ${RUNFILE}

fi

# and terminate ArmA 2 server process

if [ -f ${PIDFILE} ]; then

kill -TERM $(< ${PIDFILE})

rm -f ${PIDFILE}

fi

fi

;;

status)

echo "A3 PUBLIC server should be running..."

else

echo "A3 PUBLIC server not running check logfile..."

fi

PID=$(< ${PIDFILE})

echo "PID file exists (PID=${PID})..."

if [ -f /proc/${PID}/cmdline ]; then

echo "Server process seems to be running..."

fi

fi

;;

check)

echo -n "ArmA 2 directory: ${ARMA_DIR} "

if [ -d ${ARMA_DIR} ]; then

echo "OK"

else

echo "MISSING!"

fi

echo -n "Server executable: ${SERVER} "

if [ -x ${SERVER} ]; then

echo "OK"

else

echo "ERROR!"

fi

echo "Port number: ${PORT}"

echo -n "Config file: ${CONFIG} "

if [ -f ${CONFIG} ]; then

echo "OK"

else

echo "MISSING!"

fi

echo "PID file: ${PIDFILE}"

echo "RUN file: ${RUNFILE}"

;;

restart)

$0 stop

$0 start

;;

watchdog)

# this is a background watchdog process. Do not start directly

while [ -f ${RUNFILE} ]; do

# launch the server...

cd ${ARMA_DIR}

echo >>${LOGFILE} "WATCHDOG ($$): [$(date)] Starting server (port ${PORT})..."

${SERVER} >>${LOGFILE} 2>&1 -config=${CONFIG} -cfg=${CFG} -port=${PORT} -pid=${PIDFILE} -mod=${MODS} ${OTHERPARAMS}

echo >>${LOGFILE} "WATCHDOG ($$): [$(date)] Server died, waiting to restart..."

sleep 5s

else

echo >>${LOGFILE} "WATCHDOG ($$): [$(date)] Server shutdown intentional, watchdog terminating"

fi

done

;;

*)

echo "$0 (start|stop|restart|status|check)"

;;

esac

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

nm found the missing ;

Has anyone been successful with running mods? It seems like my Ubuntu is trying to break the line and run a command, e.g.:

-mod=@name1;@name2

./a3.sh: line 3: @name2: command not found

Escaping the semi-colons seems to get past that error, however, the server still refuses to run the actual mods - at least that's what is reported on http://arma3.swec.se/. From what it seems if I put the -mod section right after arma3server nothing past the escape characters runs (e.g. server cfgs). If I surround the -mod:name1;@name2 section in a single quote the rest of the command line parameters are ran, but no mods appear in the list as running.

Nothing unusual in the logs or anything really relating to the mods, either. My directory looks like :

Hi,

under linux it makes a difference whether the letter is uppercase or lowercase in the folder and file name.

Check whether the name in your -mod=@your_mod is also written with small letters.

Next, go to the @your_mod folder and check if there is a "addons" folder in there. It may be that needs to be written the foldername with a large A (Addons), this is caused by existing problems with the current Linux version.

Next, check your config settings. The config file must currently have VerifySignatures = 0; ,because the signature check is not working.

@all

I renamed my keys folder to Keys and now the Arma3 Server found that keys, but there is a new failure.

The server wrote this into the Logfile, if I use VerifySignatures = 2; :

Player Pillord: Wrong signature for file dta\bin.pbo

hi all aver apologize for not having replied, busy servers arma3 wanted to postpone a small tutorial here ise ase not much to arma3 centos linux 64 bit

I myself and installed and tested and everything works perfect, the maps load properly, and everything works perfectly, with steps such I ise, I use panel tcadmin games and a xml created for us who have climbed the forum Tcadmin and servers and create the script for the current versions

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170113-Installing-linux-centos-dedicated-arma3-Tcadmin

If you need any help just say that I know

http://www.Zona-Gamer.es

http://www.Arma3Life.es

CustomLogo.png?5246902324997387904

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

hello Pillord

if you don VerifySignatures = 2 may not connect to the server with the mod

I put in my VerifySignatures = 2 server and not connected crashes had to put VerifySignatures = 0 in order to connect with renowned mod folder to the Addons

Edited by zona-gamer

hello Pillord

if you don VerifySignatures = 2 may not connect to the server with the mod

I put in my VerifySignatures = 2 server and not connected crashes had to put VerifySignatures = 0 in order to connect with renowned mod folder to the Addons

Hi zona-gamer,

if I test this software, i don't use any other software or mods.

The folder dta\bin.pbo is includet in Arma3.

If I load my Arma3 Client 1.08 I can find this in my .rpt file:

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.08.113494

...some other things...

==== Loaded addons ====

C:\steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\bin.pbo - unknown

I don't know if that happend in german versions only, but all of our members have the same issue with client-version 1.08.

We at Black Sh33p have recently acquired a new Linux server and were hoping to host a public branch. To remove the password we really do need verifySignatures = 2.

Unfortunately we keep getting these

"I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\addons\air_f_beta.pbo", ... are not signed by a key accepted by this server. To play on this server, remove listed files or install additional accepted keys.

as well. It looks like the A3.bikey doesn't include all vanilla pbo's.

Can anyone at this point confirm or deny whether verify signatures is even possible with current linux dedi? We've been researching our bums off but can't seem to find a straight answer.

If it's possible, how can we pull this off?

We at Black Sh33p have recently acquired a new Linux server and were hoping to host a public branch. To remove the password we really do need verifySignatures = 2.

Unfortunately we keep getting these

as well. It looks like the A3.bikey doesn't include all vanilla pbo's.

Can anyone at this point confirm or deny whether verify signatures is even possible with current linux dedi? We've been researching our bums off but can't seem to find a straight answer.

If it's possible, how can we pull this off?

Try to rename your keys folder to Keys. It's important that you use uppercase K in Keys

Then take a look into that Keys folder an see if there is a a3.bikey file.

Here a list with the Foldernames are working on Linux:

addons lowercase!

battleye lowercase!

dta lowercase!

Keys uppercase K and lowercase eys

MPMissions uppercase MPM and lowercase issions

All files in that folders need to be lowercase.

Restart your server after that of course.

Thank you for the prompt and concise response.

I've checked the FTP and it seems this could indeed be our problem! I'll check with our members who maintain our server once they wake up and report if it's fixed.

Hey guys,

we're finally back after the winter holidays so let me go through your feedback.

Case sensitivness

Signatures

• can you confirm that verifySignatures=2 works correctly with Keys starting with an uppercase letter and a bisign file inside?

Crashes

• I'll check the -maxmem repro
  • as for other crashes - best practice would be to report it in the feedback tracker, upload the core file(s) to some file sharing service and add a link
    • it would be best, of course, if you could supply specific repro steps

Startup script

• would you guys benefit from a default script included with the server or is everyone using their own customized scripts?
  • a basic script might be still useful for the beginning admins, I guess

Java

• the plan is to remove the dependency

Performance

• reports collected, investigation/fixing will commence soon

There's also another tutorial that hasn't been posted here yet, I believe:

Big thanks for your feedback and your solutions/workarounds/tutorials/scripts.

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

.) Are there plans to release 64Bit binaries for Linux somewhen?

We would like to do the 64bit version in the future but I can give no specific dates yet.

.) Why does the Linux server bin need Java (which is not very famous for its performance), when the Windows server bin delivered with the game (at least the one i ran through WINE) does not?

Windows server has the java dependency compiled into the binary (it's only a subset of the whole package) while linux server uses the package provided by OS. As mentioned in my previous post the plan is to remove the dependency.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Do you need the core files?

Where can we upload that files?

If it's not possible to provide specific repro steps for the crash then the core dumps will be helpful, yes. It's probably best to report the crash in the feedback tracker, upload the core dumps to any file sharing service you like and add a link.

Hey guys,

we're finally back after the winter holidays so let me go through your feedback.

Welcome back from a well-deserved vacation! THanks for looking into the reports!

Case sensitivness

• MPMissions and Keys seem to be required with the first letters uppercased
  • since the common pattern is to have all files/directories in lowercase I'll probably lowercase these as well

Definiately a bit of an annoyance, but consistency would be perfect - thanks for looking into this.

Signatures

• can you confirm that verifySignatures=2 works correctly with Keys starting with an uppercase letter and a bisign file inside?

Not a big issue for the 15thMEU yet, but will keep an eye on this. Gonna have to learn how to put a working public as well as private servers together with a coherent strategy. :)

Crashes

• I'll check the -maxmem repro
  • as for other crashes - best practice would be to report it in the feedback tracker, upload the core file(s) to some file sharing service and add a link
    • it would be best, of course, if you could supply specific repro steps

No crashes yet (crosses fingers) but I'm sure we'll run into those eventually once performance comes up to par.

Java

Cheers! WIld applause! Mayhem! Hehe, thanks - looking forward to uninstalling java ASAP!

Performance

• reports collected, investigation/fixing will commence soon

Yeah, here's the problem for sure, unfortunately. Loading up a 7 player coop mission with one human and six AI partners resulted in a server FPS of six to start. Yikes!

Big thanks for your feedback and your solutions/workarounds/tutorials/scripts.

Thanks for thinking of us Linux admins! :)

- MGySgt Reite

S3 Operations Chief (servers and stuff)

15thMEU(SOC) Arma 3 Realism Unit

~300 members strong and still growing. Lord help us. :)

performance is a huge issue - so much so that I scrapped Linux for now and brought up a windows server. can test anytime we have a fix though.

please get rid of the java dependency! :)

and a default startup script would be nice similar to the one already posted.

thx!

We changed the folder names. That seemed to annihilate the addons message, so it looks as if the verifySignatures works.

Unfortunately players still don't seem to be able to connect and get kicked off immediately.

I pulled this from my local .rpt. Not sure if it's related:

No more slot to add connection at 033057 (3386.8,5735.4)

Any thoughts?

I tried to launch arma3server (linux native) with the parameter -maxmen=4048 and the server crash.

If you put -maxmen=4047 parameter, it seem than the server run but when you launch a mission instead run it return to the select slot screen when load is finished.

If you use -maxmem parameter must not be used a value upper 2047 because arma3server linux native don´t manage more memory correctly and show errors as:

19:29:57 Warning Message: '/' is not a value

19:29:58 Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/APC_Tracked_01_base_F/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewGunner/' is not defined ('initAngleY' accessed)

19:29:58 Warning Message: '/' is not a value

19:29:58 Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/APC_Tracked_01_base_F/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewGunner/' is not defined ('minAngleY' accessed)

19:29:58 Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/APC_Tracked_01_base_F/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewGunner/' is not defined ('maxAngleY' accessed)

19:29:58 Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/APC_Tracked_01_base_F/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewGunner/' is not defined ('initAngleX' accessed)

19:29:58 Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/APC_Tracked_01_base_F/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewGunner/' is not defined ('minAngleX' accessed)

I tried to reproduce on Ubuntu 13.04 32bit and Fedora 19 32bit (both virtualized) but no success. What distro did you use? 32bit or 64bit? How much memory do you have?

Java

So, looks like I'll have to wait until the Java dependency is gone :(

Windows server has the java dependency compiled into the binary (it's only a subset of the whole package) while linux server uses the package provided by OS. As mentioned in my previous post the plan is to remove the dependency.

So by "removing the dependeny" you mean removing it completely or just link it statically in?

Update:

• mpmissions and keys directories made lowercase
  • verifySignatures fixed
  • java dependency removed

You can get the testing server binary (still version 1.08) via Dwarden. Volunteers would be appreciated :). The fixes will be part of the stable release next week.

PM sent to Dwarden!

Our linux expert is out of towns this weekend but we should be able to handle it. Our group definitely wants to help!

Any news on performance? Loaded up escape from stratis (I was the only player) on our quite powerful server and it was on 8-11 fps constantly

I have not hear back yet. Patiently awaiting. I will post asap when I get it running.

those fixes are great, but if the performance is not addressed it will still not be usable. :(