dazhbog

Linux Dedicated Server feedback

Hey everyone,

we have released a first iteration of the Linux Dedicated Server as reported in SITREP #38. It's still a little bit experimental so we would very much appreciate your feedback and experience running it. Please report any bugs to our Feedback tracker (use the fields Platform, OS and OS Version to describe you distro as best as you can) while general feedback should go directly into this thread.

There are some known issues so be aware of them when you run the server:

When BattlEye is enabled, clients get kicked immediately.

If you start the server without Steam running you'll get following log message:

• "[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed."
  • This is OK since running Steam is not necessary for Dedicated servers.

Also note that java version 7 is required to run the server (even though it's disabled in-game) so you will have to set path to 'libjvm.so' correctly for your distro.

Example usage on my debian:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre/lib/i386/jamvm ./arma3server -netlog -config=Arma3_Server.cfg

Enjoy!

Hi,

where do i find the linux server? I cannot find in on Steam Tools

stickie, gagagu, it will be there when 1.08 is out ...

I tested with this line since my system is 64 bits.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/jamvm ./arma3server -netlog -config=basic.cfg

Result:

./arma3server: error while loading shared libraries: libjvm.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

the path directions are good.

I have tried with java version 6 and 7.

Ubuntu 12.04

:(

Install 32Bit OpenJDK, since the arma3server bin is also a 32Bit executable.

See first post:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre/lib/i386/jamvm ./arma3server -netlog -config=Arma3_Server.cfg

Worked for me on CentOS 6, I got the server up and running. But now Im fighting with other troubles :)

that was the problem and I've solved it! :)

Thank you.

I also struggle with other problems.

The next problem is that it does not detect the mpmissions folder.

Do not miss any of the missions that I added.

Have solution for this?

The next problem is that it does not detect the mpmissions folder.

Unfortunately not, Im struggling with the same problem.

I ran tolower, I checked the file and folder permissions and I even started the server as root. No success.

But at least the "builtin" missions work properly.

When BattlEye is enabled, clients get kicked immediately.

I can't confirm that.

At my installation it's the verifySignatures = 2; variable, which immediately kicks me off my server.

Setting this variable to 0 lets me joining my server w/o any problems. Nevertheless I can't choose any of the mission I've uploaded to the servers mpmissions directory (they're not even displayed in the mission selection screen).

When getting kicked off, I get this imho slightly weird error message as well on screen as in my .rpt file:

Warning Message: Files "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\bin.pbo", "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\core.pbo", "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dta\languagecore_f.pbo", "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\addons\a3.pbo", "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\addons\air_f.pbo", "I:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3\addons\air_f_beta.pbo", ... are not signed by a key accepted by this server. To play on this server, remove listed files or install additional accepted keys.

As a next step, i exchanged the a3.bikey from the server keys\ folder with the file from my game directory. Same outcome, same error message.

Anyone got some ideas?

It appears that the download server does not contain any of the client files. Therefore it is impossible to enter the server verifysignatures = 1

I have not noticed any problems with either BattlEye but I've been a long time .

I once heard something about changing the location of the folder mpmissions , but I have not found anything.

I've found the problem with the custom missions not working. running an strace on the server shows it's looking for MPMissions/ not mpmissions <= linux being case sensitive etc :). testing if it works by symlinking the mpmissions to MPMissions in the server folder.

FIX confirmed.

Either rename your mpmissions to MPMissions or symlink it :)

what file is the Linux executable? I downloaded the arma 3 dedicated server from Steam (via Steam tools) and see nothing that might be a Linux executable or .jar file.

do I have to get the dedicated Linux server a different way? or is it the same arma3server.exe?

thx!

I've found the problem with the custom missions not working. running an strace on the server shows it's looking for MPMissions/ not mpmissions <= linux being case sensitive etc :). testing if it works by symlinking the mpmissions to MPMissions in the server folder.

FIX confirmed.

Either rename your mpmissions to MPMissions or symlink it :)

Huge thanks!! After "tolower'ing" all the years, I would'nt have thought that the Linux server bin finally can handle upper-case file and foldernames :D

@hlfritz: Download the A3 linux server bins via steamcmd directly to your server.

Hi,

I m trying to DL Arma3 Server with StemaCMD on my dedicated server (OS : Debian7) but it doesnt work !!

Steam>app_update 233780 validate

ERROR! Failed to install app '233780' (No subscription)

(login as anonymous)

Any suggestions ?

Thx DaOrange.

now, is the appid 107410 like shown in the dedicated server thread by Dwarden or is it 233780 as shown in the snippet above from Soldat_Ryan?

and lastly, how does one find the appid of things like tools? I know I could dl and install via the tools option in library within steam, but it seems that cannot be done with this tool and I must use steamcmd - yet I first need the appid of the app to install. chicken and egg? or did I miss something somewhere?

thx!

Edited by hlfritz
additional question

It's mentioned in one of the reps: 233780 is the tools steamid.

Thx DaOrange.

now, is the appid 107410 like shown in the dedicated server thread by Dwarden or is it 233780 as shown in the snippet above from Soldat_Ryan?

Appid of the Arma 3 Server steam app is 233780 as others already said. But its steam_appid.txt contains 107410 which is the same as the main Arma 3 steam game. This is necessary to be able to connect with the game to the dedicated server (they have to have the same appid).

and lastly, how does one find the appid of things like tools? I know I could dl and install via the tools option in library within steam, but it seems that cannot be done with this tool and I must use steamcmd - yet I first need the appid of the app to install. chicken and egg? or did I miss something somewhere?

thx!

Not sure if you can find the appid through steam client (or web) but you can find it in the SITREP.

Hi,

i'm new to linux (ubuntu server) and i've installed steam, steamcmd and the arma 3 server. When i will start the server i get following error:

"[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed."

This is OK since running Steam is not necessary for Dedicated servers.

i know you've wrote following in your initial post:

If you start the server without Steam running you'll get following log message:

"[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed."

This is OK since running Steam is not necessary for Dedicated servers.

Now the master questions:

How do i start steam on linux and do i need my steam account for it?

Whe "yes", can i run the server and ply on my client at the same time?

How do i stop the server? (after getting the error message the console seems to hang, and i cannto enter any command anymore)

I've used the arma server with wine before and i had a bash script for starting/stopping the server. As i wrote before "i'm new to linux"!

THX

Edited by gagagu

Is there any way to get necessary linux files using windows steam client? If not, are there any other alternative ways? I've downloaded "arma 3 tools" and "arma 3 server" using windows steam client, but there is nothing related to linux... :|

Is there any way to get necessary linux files using windows steam client? If not, are there any other alternative ways? I've downloaded "arma 3 tools" and "arma 3 server" using windows steam client, but there is nothing related to linux... :|

Hi, take a look into my other post with the same question.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169940-where-do-i-find-the-linux-server

As I've written before: Download the A3 linux server bins via steamcmd directly to your server. It depends on your target OS (=where the steam client is running), whether you will get the Windows or Linux binaries. So I don't think that there is a way to get the linux bins with the Windows Steam client.

@gagagu: No, you don't have to run the steam client on your server to be able to start the A3 server bins. I adapted the start/stop script that came with the A2 server bins, works perfectly.

Here are my first general impressions: Yes, it works :) but there is still plenty room for improvement especially regarding performance and stability.

Performance: I ran the Windows arma3server.exe through WINE before and contrary to my expectations that was quite a performant setup. On a small custom TvT on Altis the server used about 800MB memory and had about 50fps server-side. On another COOP mission of mine (Stratis) the server consumed up to 1GB and had between 35 and 45 fps server-side throughout the game.

With the Linux server bins the TvT mission now consumes 1.1GB with 30fps and the COOP mission uses 900MB but with only 5-7fps. :confused:

Loading missions for the first time also takes ages to finish.

When the server is idling it uses much more memory and CPU cycles than it did with WINE. Sometimes when ending missions, the server sticks to about 90% CPU usage and needs to be killed manually.

Stability: I experienced some crashes while playing the COOP mission, but couldn't track the reason down (yet).

Login as your Steam account with A3 game (login LOGIN PASS)

Thank You Alduric.

For BI : It should be nice to be able to DL arma server without connecting to our steam account in dedicated box server. :(

Performance: I ran the Windows arma3server.exe through WINE before and contrary to my expectations that was quite a performant setup. On a small custom TvT on Altis the server used about 800MB memory and had about 50fps server-side. On another COOP mission of mine (Stratis) the server consumed up to 1GB and had between 35 and 45 fps server-side throughout the game.

With the Linux server bins the TvT mission now consumes 1.1GB with 30fps and the COOP mission uses 900MB but with only 5-7fps. :confused:

Loading missions for the first time also takes ages to finish.

When the server is idling it uses much more memory and CPU cycles than it did with WINE. Sometimes when ending missions, the server sticks to about 90% CPU usage and needs to be killed manually.

Thanks for the feedback, we will investigate.

Stability: I experienced some crashes while playing the COOP mission, but couldn't track the reason down (yet).

Repro would be best of course but in the meantime try enabling core dumps and then send them to us (via feedback tracker for example). It might give us some clues what to look for.

Thank You Alduric.

For BI : It should be nice to be able to DL arma server without connecting to our steam account in dedicated box server. :(

just create a new steam account for the server - you don't need A3 on that account to install the Arma 3 Server package

Hi,

i've also implement the start/stop script from arma 2.

I do not understand what's the different between start it manuel and per script but it seems to work.

Edited by gagagu

I do not understand what's the different between start it manuel and per script but it seems to work.

Same here :)

I also experienced weird effects when starting "manually" like that just half of the config file gets recognized, for example the admin pw is in place and motd is displayed, but the hostname falls back to reverse DNS entry and so on.

Repro would be best of course but in the meantime try enabling core dumps and then send them to us (via feedback tracker for example). It might give us some clues what to look for.

I have a core dump, but even after a "gizp -9" treatment its size remains around 250MB (orig. size 650MB). If thats OK, I'll open a bug report. I will also open a report about the verifysignature and the MPMission folder issues (in case nobody else did it yet).

Some questions out of curiosity:

.) Are there plans to release 64Bit binaries for Linux somewhen?

.) Why does the Linux server bin need Java (which is not very famous for its performance), when the Windows server bin delivered with the game (at least the one i ran through WINE) does not?

EDIT: Reported Issues 16525, 16526 and 16527

Edited by DaOarge